Quick Proof questions

z3=1 z^3 = 1

You are given that ww is a non-real root of the above equation, show that:

1+w+w2=01+w+w^2 =0

So I go:

3 roots are 1,e±2kiπ31, e^{\pm \frac{2ki\pi}{3}}

And

z31=0z^3 - 1=0

Thus the sum of the roots must equal the coefficient of the z2z^2 which is 0 and so:
1+w+w2=01+w+w^2 =0

Is that good enough ? Any other ways ?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I assume you mean 1 + w + w^2 = 0?

The sum of the roots is acceptable I believe, but only if you have proved that 1, w and w^2 are the roots already. (which you did by saying what the 3 roots are, but you might have to do a little more to show that they are in fact the 3 roots of the equation)

Another way is to factorise z^3-1=0
into (z-1)(z^2+z+1) = 0 (you can figure this out the first time through polynomial division and then I think you can quote the result, at least you can in my system)
But w is non-real so w=/=1 so 1 + w + w^2 = 0
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Aeonstorm
I assume you mean 1 + w + w^2 = 0?

The sum of the roots is acceptable I believe, but only if you have proved that 1, w and w^2 are the roots already. (which you did by saying what the 3 roots are, but you might have to do a little more to show that they are in fact the 3 roots of the equation)

Another way is to factorise z^3-1=0
into (z-1)(z^2+z+1) = 0 (you can figure this out the first time through polynomial division and then I think you can quote the result, at least you can in my system)
But w is non-real so w=/=1 so 1 + w + w^2 = 0

Ah yea, After finding the 3 roots I would let one non-real root be ww and then show that w6=(w2)3=16=1w^6 = (w^2)^3 = 1^6 = 1 and so w2w^2 is also a root and then proceed as I did above.

I probably wouldn't have spotted your method and it would take too long for me to divide the thing by z1z-1
Reply 3
Original post by member910132
Ah yea, After finding the 3 roots I would let one non-real root be ww and then show that w6=(w2)3=16=1w^6 = (w^2)^3 = 1^6 = 1 and so w2w^2 is also a root and then proceed as I did above.

I probably wouldn't have spotted your method and it would take too long for me to divide the thing by z1z-1

I recommend you ask your teacher whether you are allowed to quote the general result:

z^n -1 = (z-1)(z^(n-1) + z^(n-2) + z^(n-3) + ... + 1)

rather than actually deriving it each time. If you are allowed to, it is a slight bit quicker than showing that the roots are 1, w and w^2 and then using the sum of the roots. If not, your method is perfectly valid.
Reply 4
Original post by Aeonstorm
I recommend you ask your teacher whether you are allowed to quote the general result:

z^n -1 = (z-1)(z^(n-1) + z^(n-2) + z^(n-3) + ... + 1)

rather than actually deriving it each time. If you are allowed to, it is a slight bit quicker than showing that the roots are 1, w and w^2 and then using the sum of the roots. If not, your method is perfectly valid.

Self teaching FM lol, that's why I post about 3-4 questions in here a day.
Reply 5
Original post by member910132
Self teaching FM lol, that's why I post about 3-4 questions in here a day.

I also used this forum regularly when I self-taught FM. The combination of my textbooks and this forum was all I really needed.

Quick Reply

Latest