The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jazzykinks
It made them cheap but being a lightweight was never fun because I like the taste of some types of alcohol but couldn't have it. I'd rather have my card bashed a bit and enjoy myself than chunder after having more than a bottle of cider! Drinking is a social thing after all, and I always felt that I wasn't participating properly. Now I can outdrink the lads again, wheeyyy! When you're recovering, or even straight after, it takes a long time for your body to get used to booze again because essentially, it is a poison and your body has been so weakened from the ED that it takes a while to build up resistance to alcohol. x

I clearly don't have much of a tolerance to booze after two VKDs, two 250ml glasses of woo woo and 2 shots of sourz I was definately feeling very fuzzy at my 18th. Hopefully my memories of freshers won't be going to tescos shopping on my own, realising my flatmates hate me (dad, WHY did you force me into going for a single sex flat?)/ that I'm the fat one in the flat, shouts of 'Down it fresher!' and the taste of the inside of my own stomach.

Edit: can you tell I'm not really looking forward to it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Antiaris
It's not uncommon during and just after recovery to have massive glycemic curves, don't worry. Diabetes is a totally different ball game. After recovery a person can become glucose sensitive, and yes a history of eating disorders increases risk of diabetes in the long term, but what you are describing is simply your body getting used to things again. I know WHILST recovering I was showing certain diabetic traits but they disappeared a few months later. Your body went into a state where it wasn't releasing a lot of insulin to a state where it is releasing a normal amounts again. There will be an adjustment period. The binges simply exasperate an already self evident problem.

But don't worry man. You be cool. Don't jump the gun and you'll be fine.

I actually asked my therapist a while back about this. You need to go through the referral scheme again, but as you already have been diagnosed psychiatrically the waiting time is cut significantly. Tell the GP exactly what you want, the main issue that people face in these instances is the fact that GP's don't really know that much about ED's. I still remember when I first went to one about the ED he referred me, but gave me a talk about doughnuts and how they aren't out to kill me. I laugh, but twas strange. Another GP gave me advise that was completely off (Hard exercise when still BMI 17 and near dangerous potassium levels), but he was old and is now retired so let sleeping dogs lie.

Personal Note:

Spoiler

Thankyou for your response, hopefully as you said, this time round it will be much quicker to get referred if i go in and know exactly what the GP needs to do :smile:
Reply 3562
Original post by Antiaris
It's not uncommon during and just after recovery to have massive glycemic curves, don't worry. Diabetes is a totally different ball game. After recovery a person can become glucose sensitive, and yes a history of eating disorders increases risk of diabetes in the long term, but what you are describing is simply your body getting used to things again. I know WHILST recovering I was showing certain diabetic traits but they disappeared a few months later. Your body went into a state where it wasn't releasing a lot of insulin to a state where it is releasing a normal amounts again. There will be an adjustment period. The binges simply exasperate an already self evident problem.

But don't worry man. You be cool. Don't jump the gun and you'll be fine.

I actually asked my therapist a while back about this. You need to go through the referral scheme again, but as you already have been diagnosed psychiatrically the waiting time is cut significantly. Tell the GP exactly what you want, the main issue that people face in these instances is the fact that GP's don't really know that much about ED's. I still remember when I first went to one about the ED he referred me, but gave me a talk about doughnuts and how they aren't out to kill me. I laugh, but twas strange. Another GP gave me advise that was completely off (Hard exercise when still BMI 17 and near dangerous potassium levels), but he was old and is now retired so let sleeping dogs lie.

Personal Note:

Spoiler

Belle, Toto and Sentiment: It's natural. At a healthy BMI and having been recovered for 2 years, I feel ridiculously obese at times. I don't think that will ever really leave me, or you guys either. But remember that what we compare ourselves to is NOT healthy or safe at all. Our lives are much better now, even if we do feel fat sometimes. We are healthy and we are able to function normally without being entirely dependent on anyone/anything. We are in control of our lives, more so than when we were in the depths of our ED. x

Riku: don't worry. I'm sure the thing with the Peroni was because you've just recovered. You have done some damage to your body throughout your ED and afterwards, your alcohol tolerance is rubbish. I went from being the girl who could polish off 15 vodka-cokes in a night pre-ED to not being able to handle a glass of wine after recovering! x

Thanks for the support, guys. Although remember I'm not specifically diagnosed on the restriction spectrum, I don't know what the hell's going on and shouldn't really use terms which don't necessarily apply to me...but yeah, my body can't tolerate what it used to, whatever's going on.
There's the problem I'm fairly sure I already have jumped the gun as you put it, though. I'm raising my risk of everything even past weightr estoration since I'm still suffering from the 'bigorexic' side of things, trying to eat as much as I can while it still not really being full-on gaining...it's a strange kind of dirty bulk. E.g. today I had 2 Weetabix r-with an orange, and then muesli...that feels strangely big for breakfast. But not big. But still HUGE. (And carb-sugar-loaded). Yet I know that's not even that much really for a young man my height, age and build. Afterwards I felt knocked out by it but I think stress can do that to you too can't it. The amount of times I've explained stress as sopmethng far more dangerous is unbelievable. pohhhc rap what to do.
So I have a mishmash of saying I have to what's healthiest which is eat more but only this, but I can't do that because I'm still half in AN mindset, and that's led me to binge?
I don't know whether I'm just voerthinking everything more as last exam's tomorrow and I don't really have a friggin' clue how to revise it now, and for whatever reason have had a shoddy sleep despite going to bed early.

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .snowflake.
I clearly don't have much of a tolerance to booze after two VKDs, two 250ml glasses of woo woo and 2 shots of sourz I was definately feeling very fuzzy at my 18th. Hopefully my memories of freshers won't be going to tescos shopping on my own, realising my flatmates hate me (dad, WHY did you force me into going for a single sex flat?)/ that I'm the fat one in the flat, shouts of 'Down it fresher!' and the taste of the inside of my own stomach.

Edit: can you tell I'm not really looking forward to it.

Oh honey, single sex flats are awful. I'm in a mixed flat but on this floor it's just girls and 1 guy. They've bullied me the whole year. Don't give in to peer pressure; if you're not comfortable drinking etc., hold your own ground. x
Oh honey, single sex flats are awful. I'm in a mixed flat but on this floor it's just girls and 1 guy. They've bullied me the whole year. Don't give in to peer pressure; if you're not comfortable drinking etc., hold your own ground. x

I agree. Single sex flats i suspect, arent very nice at all. I went to an all girls school and it was a breeding ground for bitching, bullying and competition.x
Original post by natalie122
I agree. Single sex flats i suspect, arent very nice at all. I went to an all girls school and it was a breeding ground for bitching, bullying and competition.x

I know. Dad made me put down for a single sex flat because he knows someone whos daughter is at uni in a mixed flat, but its like 7 girls and a lad. Said lad chucks his weight around and is a bit of a dick when drunk.

Knowing my luck, I'll get 7 really skinny girls, all arts students, so have hardly any contact time, who hate me because I'm not posh, and find it hilar to steal/hide my food. Or they'll all be medics/dentists.
I told work about my problems yesterday. They were so sympathetic and lovely. It just got too much coping with Type 1 diabetes and anorexia and this week I got really ill and I thought they'd be annoyed at me taking a day off work. But I can't stop panicking that my secret is "out" and that people will judge or pity me behind my back.
Did any of you guys reach a point where you had to make it aware to people? My personal tutor in Uni knows too because I got so ill, and he's my lecturer next year so I'm a little awkward about it, even if he was helpful and lovely about it.
Reply 3567
Original post by x-Disenchanted-x
I told work about my problems yesterday. They were so sympathetic and lovely. It just got too much coping with Type 1 diabetes and anorexia and this week I got really ill and I thought they'd be annoyed at me taking a day off work. But I can't stop panicking that my secret is "out" and that people will judge or pity me behind my back.
Did any of you guys reach a point where you had to make it aware to people? My personal tutor in Uni knows too because I got so ill, and he's my lecturer next year so I'm a little awkward about it, even if he was helpful and lovely about it.

Spoiler

I don't feel anyone will judge or pity you for telling them...no-one who matters anyway. The people who care will only want what's best for you (to get well)-and you ought to credit yourself with that much, at least. The reactions in work prove it. There are genuinely kind and considerate people in the world.
:hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to say, when I was in the deepest, darkest parts of my eating disorder this thread really helped me out.

Over the last six months with the help of an amazing therapist (I hope she know she possibly saved my life), I feel like I'm 90% recovered. I've gained 2 and a half stone, I have a "healthy" BMI, and I've lost my feelings of shame, guilt and self loathing around food.

I just want to say, although it was not the easiest thing, and I definitely had the odd wobble here and there it is the best thing I've ever done. I could almost cry about how good I feel now.

My question is though, obviously I was underweight for a really long time, and as a result my periods stopped over a year ago.

I've just moved back to the UK, and my GP wants to try me on progesterone medication to give things a kick start. Has anyone got any experience of this? I just don't know what to expect really, and I suck at remembering to ask questions at the time I'm with my doctor.

But you guys, even though I've never met you seem like the strongest, most amazing people. Keep fighting it, it's so worth rediscovering who you are. :smile:
Original post by ClaireyG
Hi everyone.

I just wanted to say, when I was in the deepest, darkest parts of my eating disorder this thread really helped me out.

Over the last six months with the help of an amazing therapist (I hope she know she possibly saved my life), I feel like I'm 90% recovered. I've gained 2 and a half stone, I have a "healthy" BMI, and I've lost my feelings of shame, guilt and self loathing around food.

I just want to say, although it was not the easiest thing, and I definitely had the odd wobble here and there it is the best thing I've ever done. I could almost cry about how good I feel now.

My question is though, obviously I was underweight for a really long time, and as a result my periods stopped over a year ago.

I've just moved back to the UK, and my GP wants to try me on progesterone medication to give things a kick start. Has anyone got any experience of this? I just don't know what to expect really, and I suck at remembering to ask questions at the time I'm with my doctor.

But you guys, even though I've never met you seem like the strongest, most amazing people. Keep fighting it, it's so worth rediscovering who you are. :smile:

Yes, my GP put me on progesterone to 'kick-start' my periods again (having not had a period for just over 2 years) - I got my period with the pill, but once I stopped taking them they stopped again :s-smilie:, I think my periods are just taking a while to get back into the swing of things, they were never regular anyway. When I started on the pill, I was really nervous about weight gain, but I don't really think it's affected my weight that much, although I do get weird hungry the few days before my period.
This is probably massively triggering so please don't read if you're feeling fragile, I just absolutely had to vent somewhere.

So I've just had a big argument with the one friend that knew and was trying to help me with this. Apparently I'm only now allowed to mention it to him if I'm being all happy and positive and that's pretty much impossible when I'm finding it SO hard to increase my intake. I personally feel like it's a pretty big achievement in less than a week to get up to about 800 or 900 a day when I'd been on 200 or 300 until last Saturday. Apparently this is not enough and I was meant to be on 1600 a day overnight. I'm so angry...it just feels so frustrating to be trying so hard and then just have it all thrown back in your face. Despite feeling disgustingly fat every second of the day I've been putting food in my mouth that I don't even want let alone need, just because I wanted to stop hurting him, and now he's just gone. I honestly just feel like throwing it all away and giving up now since nobody cares anymore. He's such a rational person and I know he can't understand WHY I feel like this but I thought he knew he wouldn't understand. I didn't expect him to just give up on me so soon.
what is the average weight for a 16year old vegetarian?
Original post by Alkranite
what is the average weight for a 16year old vegetarian?

Height/sex/athleticism comes into it a lot...not sure what relevence vegetarianism has.
male
six foot
average exercise
i was always told vegetarian eat lesser energy dense foods
male
six foot
average exercise
i was always told vegetarian eat lesser energy dense foods

Very roughly a 'healthy' weight then is between 9st 11 and 12st 12. That's just based on BMI.
i'm 8 stone 10
i'm 8 stone 10

Deffo time to eat more pies then.
i dont really like pie
Original post by sentiment
This is probably massively triggering so please don't read if you're feeling fragile, I just absolutely had to vent somewhere.

So I've just had a big argument with the one friend that knew and was trying to help me with this. Apparently I'm only now allowed to mention it to him if I'm being all happy and positive and that's pretty much impossible when I'm finding it SO hard to increase my intake. I personally feel like it's a pretty big achievement in less than a week to get up to about 800 or 900 a day when I'd been on 200 or 300 until last Saturday. Apparently this is not enough and I was meant to be on 1600 a day overnight. I'm so angry...it just feels so frustrating to be trying so hard and then just have it all thrown back in your face. Despite feeling disgustingly fat every second of the day I've been putting food in my mouth that I don't even want let alone need, just because I wanted to stop hurting him, and now he's just gone. I honestly just feel like throwing it all away and giving up now since nobody cares anymore. He's such a rational person and I know he can't understand WHY I feel like this but I thought he knew he wouldn't understand. I didn't expect him to just give up on me so soon.

-huggggggging- I am proud of you. Even if this guy isnt. In less than a week you've trebled what you're eating.
Original post by .snowflake.
-huggggggging- I am proud of you. Even if this guy isnt. In less than a week you've trebled what you're eating.

Can't tell you how much that means to me, thank you xxxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest