The Student Room Group

What motivates you to start studying?

Scroll to see replies

Fear of failure and the thought that what talent I do have goes to waste due to laziness... a few days of those feelings and I get my work done...eventually haha.
Reply 21
The fact that I really don't want to be at school come September.
And when I start worrying about topics I have no clue about and need to revise.
Struggling right now but when I'm really up against a deadline I get in the zone pretty quick
Reply 23
The feeling of joy that swells viscerally when I think of the freedom at the end of this last batch of A2 exams, anyway back to bloody C4.
Panic mostly...
Reply 25
Exam tomorrow.
Original post by Magenta96
The awesome feeling of attaining a grade that virtually everyone thought you couldn't.

THIS. Definately this for german.
Reply 27
why-girls-should-study_httpweirdlywiredworld-wordpress-com.jpg
Reply 28
I actually learn so much when I revise. I'm surprised at little attention I pay in class.

And the drive to prove people wrong.
Knowing after the 2-3 hour revision session I'll be smarter, more confident and better prepared to sit the exam than I was 2-3 hours ago.
Reply 30
Fear of failing, fear of what people will think if I get a low mark, embarrassment. I genuinely think this is why I've never had less than a B in school or uni, I'm scared of getting less.
The thought that after exams I'll have so much time to do basically anything apart from revision which makes me think that I should use all the time I have now to do revision. (Yes, I am questioning as to why I am on TSR right now).

Also the desire to go to Manchester Uni as opposed to Bangor Uni and to show people that I can actually do really well and am not just an average student.
I've gone through a lot to get my uni offers, and the sheer thought of not getting in to my dream course makes me want to cry... so the fear of failure is what makes me get on with work.

There's a famous quote by Muhammad Ali where he says: I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." .. this motivates me :h:
Reply 33
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
I've gone through a lot to get my uni offers, and the sheer thought of not getting in to my dream course makes me want to cry... so the fear of failure is what makes me get on with work.

There's a famous quote by Muhammad Ali where he says: I hated every minute of training, but I said, "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." .. this motivates me :h:

Cringe.
Original post by Iron Man
Imagining my friends getting higher than me. We usually make bets

I know it sounds awful but partly this
Reply 35
My current job, cleaning my college.

After 12 years going to school in the same village, and now working there as well, I /really/ need to get these grades for a change of scenery.
Reply 36
That feeling you get when all exams are over and you can just relax. That's the short term motivation.

The longer term is of course to get a successful career going. Also it's mainly just habitual for me to work hard at stuff.
My mum just saying "Do you want fries with that?" sends me scampering upstairs at ridiculously high speeds. No, really, I used to be very driven by the fact that I needed good grades to go to the uni's I wanted, and then I got an unconditional and my motivation plumetted to zero.
Reply 38
The desire to get into Nottingham Uni and have a quality future career :wink:

And of course the thought of a nice, long relaxing summer without any exam worries or stress - short-term pain, long-term gain!
Reply 39
Knowing its the last push and i really want to go to Royal Holloway sot thats pretty motivating .although i'm getting quesy now :sick:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending