The Student Room Group

Does anyone know how to get motivated for revision?

I'm struggling quite a lot with finding the energy to revise. I know that I want to do well in my exams and I am quite fortunate in the way that I am naturally smart and understand topics relatively quickly so generally I don't have to extensively revise but some days when I NEED to I just can't and have no motivation. Someone help please!
Try and find something you're interested in? I'm also struggling with that and HW, and I either do it cause I'll learn something new or becoz of the time limit
Motivation is often described like a mystical force that is either there or not. In fact there are a few things that can contribute, some that you can control and some you can’t.

Success brings motivation. We’re very unlikely to feel motivated to do something we feel is impossible. So setting realistic goals and achieving those goals regularly will help build up motivation over time.

Dopamine. When your brain has the choice, it will always choose the activity that gives it dopamine the most easily. Unfortunately tasks like reading, revision and other slow tasks give you dopamine less easily than tasks like scrolling. A way to increase concentration is to stop or limit your use of TikTok, reels and other very fast-paced content. For example, I try only to watch TikTok after I’ve finished my work for the day, and I’ll do activities like crochet, running, seeing friends or even watching longer-form TV in my breaks from work.

Romanticise the work a bit. I always find it easier to work if I’m comfortable, maybe with a cup of tea and a candle or a car in my lap. Failing those things, put a real-time study with me video on in the background and imagine you’re being filmed studying in the same way.

Go to a dedicated study space like a public library where there’s peer pressure to work.

Set yourself specific tasks to accomplish, like ‘Do one French translation’, ‘learn the 21 physics equations song’, ‘do 5 practice questions on photosynthesis’.

Learn to recognise why you’re unmotivated - are you genuinely tired or burnt out? Do you just not fancy it? Is there something on your mind? Are you overwhelmed?

Sometimes (quite often), starting is the hardest bit. Try turning your phone off 10 mins before you want to start and then doing 15 mins of work. After that 15 mins you can see if you have the motivation to do another 15 or even 20 mins.

(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by mariamatusiak19
I'm struggling quite a lot with finding the energy to revise. I know that I want to do well in my exams and I am quite fortunate in the way that I am naturally smart and understand topics relatively quickly so generally I don't have to extensively revise but some days when I NEED to I just can't and have no motivation. Someone help please!

After coming home from school, it can help get your energy back up by taking half an hour to relax before starting revision; like eating a yummy snack or watching tv. After half an hour is up and you feel a bit more energised, then give yourself options of what to revise: like either chemistry or maths or english for example. It might help if rather than thinking: I HAVE TO START REVISING, you instead start to think: WHAT SUBJECT DO I FEEL LIKE REVISING?

Of course, when you have an exam coming up soon, most of your revision should be focused on that subject - so in that case you can start off by making a checklist of what you need to do and deciding you're only going to do one or two things for 1 hour and then you're going to stop studying. That might help you be able to channel some energy for a short while and then you'd have something else to look forward to after that 1 hour is finished.

Hopefully that helps and good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by mariamatusiak19

so recently I’ve been watching loads of youtube videos like ‘opening my a-level results’ or ‘move into uni vlog’ and i find that these videos where people’s hard work pays off is really motivating. idk, it makes you want to achieve it too i suppose

Quick Reply

Latest