The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society MKVII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sultana
Could you link me please?:flutter:

Great minds! :five:

Also, on a completely unrelated note could I ask a question about knitting? Inspired by your amazing creations I started up my scarf again, only I've completely forgotten how to do it.:colondollar: ha everytime I purl a row I end up with big loops of wool sticking out and I have absolutely no clue where there're from. Any ideas? :smile:

:console: Hate it when that happens its so frustrating. Maybe taking a break and trying not to stress over it too much will help?

Hope when you do get to see the psych he helps clear up the alcohol/psychosis stuff for you, it sounds pretty stressful. Its a shame MHP are so bad at writing notes, the amount of time that they could save if they just wrote and read accurate notes.. :facepalm:

:jumphug:

Various recipes

Those are all the ones I've got bookmarked online - I've also got a ton of cookery books so if there's a specific type of recipe you're after I might be able to scan one in for you. :smile:

Hmm, I'm afraid I've not got a clue what you're doing wrong with your purling, but try looking at the videos on this website. Youtube also has plenty of knitting tutorials. :smile:

Original post by Riku
I understand that intellectually but I'm not yet at a point where I'd love myself in such an unconditional way. Less so when I've nothing to do with it nowadays but if someone is hurt and it IS because of me (in the case of Mum's depression), I do tend to beat myself up about it, hard. Had another massive penance binge today.

Spoiler

Fortunately I got home, talked it over with her. So no more stress-eating/thinking to THAT extreme. I'm almost certain I'm going to comfort-eat badly for a while yet, but if it's anxiety rather than shame I think I can grab the bull by the horns :smile:

Aww I wouldn't be jealous man, I barely do any still :') most of it these days is the paper or magazines, Kerrang! or Empire or some random sci-fi/anime/game thing, just whatever takes my interest.
Discworld is immense :P the Librarian, Commander Vimes and Death make me LOL so hard. Need to get back into them, thanks for the suggestion! Although Game of Thrones is the next task :P

When I feel in a better place about food I'd love to see some of the bakery pages thanks! :biggrin:

:hugs:

Even if something's happened because of you, doesn't mean it's your fault. :hugs: It's good that you talked things over with her.

Spoiler

Recipes are above - but if you'd rather look at them some other time just quote me whenever and I'll post them again. :smile:

Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: It is really ****ing annoying when that happens. Try not to worry too much, it's quite a common occurrence in depression. I'd say just move on from it - find something else to do that's easier and will take your mind off stuff and go back to this thing later (might I recommend watching Hannibal Rising and rewatching the cool bits :cool: ).

I imagine the alcohol/psychosis thing is really worrying you, so perhaps just try not to get drunk in that time then hopefully you wouldn't be increasing your risk? You could always google for articles if your head is up to reading something heavy, jstor has a psychology section.

Not feeling so bad today, less anxious and stuff. :yy: Doing easy things to start off with, then I might try some studying later. The thing about that is though that I'm scared to push myself, so even when I get a bit done I still don't feel that good about it, cos I know it's only a fraction of what I should really be doing. :s-smilie:

Yeah, wasn't planning to. :tongue: Unfortunately I have over four litres of strong homebrew cider on my hands... Time to test my common sense to the limits!

Original post by luno
I have no idea about alcohol and psychosis... I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time :console:. I hope you find the information you're looking for and get helpful advice :jumphug:.

Thanks. :hugs:

Original post by bytail
Just read this (you've probably seen it already, but just in case):

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/289848-overview

So at least if it turns out you are experiencing alcohol-induced psychosis, it should be limited to the times when you've been drinking, and not cause problems during your day-to-day life :yes:

Thanks for the link, was actually really useful. :smile: It does say that there's a 10-20% chance of going on to develop further psychosis but meh, will just have to see what happens.

Hope you're doing ok today.

Original post by paddy__power
I'm not convinced I remember what happiness feels like. Quite disconcerting.

:console: It'll come back to you someday, the same happened to me but it wasn't permanent. :nah:

Original post by Anonymous
Exams failed to add to my problems.

:jumphug: Really sorry to hear that, but I bet you'll do well in the resits. :smile:

good news, got phoned back for a job application :smile: bad news i am absolutely ****ting myself to phone back. i just see it going all wrong, and i fear it will set back my confidence even more. why am i so nervous talking to people :frown:

Awesome, good luck!

Marking my 7 weeks in hospital with 2 days leave from the place!
Been up and down over the past few days but I'm definitely down today.

Hope everybody is doing well :hugs:

:penguinhug: Really hope you get better and get to leave soon.

Original post by insignificant
Guys, I've been on mirtazapine for 2 weeks and its literally changed my life, I can't even begin to tell you.

This morning, for the first time, since I had to change universities because of it three years ago, I managed to get on a train. I MANAGED TO GET ON A MOTHER ****ING TRAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should've seen me in the train station when i got back.. I went slightly nuts.

I then went to go treat myself to a new pair of jeans to discover I've gone down to a size 8 :biggrin:

So I then decided to buy a car :biggrin:

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Original post by sunfowers01
Feeling all alone and miserable :frown: I need to focus, but I just can't

:jumphug: We're all here for you.

Original post by bullettheory
Hey guys, another quick update from me. Unfortunately after being on a section 136 last night, I had a Mental Health Act assessment this morning and I've been sectioned. So I'm going back to the hospital I was in before. Feel a complete failure, I didn't think this would happen, I didn't believe it, but it has. I don't know...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

:frown: That really sucks. You're not a failure though, you're just ill and still adapting to how to cope with it. You'll do better next time. :smile:
Original post by superwolf

Various recipes

Those are all the ones I've got bookmarked online - I've also got a ton of cookery books so if there's a specific type of recipe you're after I might be able to scan one in for you. :smile:

Hmm, I'm afraid I've not got a clue what you're doing wrong with your purling, but try looking at the videos on this website. Youtube also has plenty of knitting tutorials. :smile:

Even if something's happened because of you, doesn't mean it's your fault. :hugs: It's good that you talked things over with her.

Spoiler

Recipes are above - but if you'd rather look at them some other time just quote me whenever and I'll post them again. :smile:

Not feeling so bad today, less anxious and stuff. :yy: Doing easy things to start off with, then I might try some studying later. The thing about that is though that I'm scared to push myself, so even when I get a bit done I still don't feel that good about it, cos I know it's only a fraction of what I should really be doing. :s-smilie:

Yeah, wasn't planning to. :tongue: Unfortunately I have over four litres of strong homebrew cider on my hands... Time to test my common sense to the limits!

Thanks. :hugs:

Thanks for the link, was actually really useful. :smile: It does say that there's a 10-20% chance of going on to develop further psychosis but meh, will just have to see what happens.

Hope you're doing ok today.

:console: It'll come back to you someday, the same happened to me but it wasn't permanent. :nah:

:jumphug: Really sorry to hear that, but I bet you'll do well in the resits. :smile:

Awesome, good luck!

:penguinhug: Really hope you get better and get to leave soon.

:awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

:jumphug: We're all here for you.

:frown: That really sucks. You're not a failure though, you're just ill and still adapting to how to cope with it. You'll do better next time. :smile:

The years push by with sharp elbows and I feel upon me the force of their unborn apologies.

Who knows though: maybe I just need a change. Tempted to sell everything and run away to a corner of the world other than my own.
Original post by bytail

Jesus, you've been stuck in there a long time :frown: Any idea when they might discharge you?

Absolutely no idea. I'm on about discharging myself when I go back but I need to be careful because I don't want to be put on a section.
Absolutely no idea. I'm on about discharging myself when I go back but I need to be careful because I don't want to be put on a section.

Yeah, it's a delicate situation :/ Guess there's not a lot you can do other than comply with the hospital. Hopefully they'll deem you well enough to leave soon :hugs:
Reply 5444
good news, got phoned back for a job application :smile: bad news i am absolutely ****ting myself to phone back. i just see it going all wrong, and i fear it will set back my confidence even more. why am i so nervous talking to people :frown:

I'm also terrified of speaking to people formally; the only thing I can really say is you just have to bite the bullet and do it! I try and make a rough plan of what I'm going to say/ what they might ask, to make it a bit easier. Then once you've done it you can reward yourself with something nice; I rang the bank this morning so I made muffins!

Good Luck, hope it goes well!

Guys, I've been on mirtazapine for 2 weeks and its literally changed my life, I can't even begin to tell you.

This morning, for the first time, since I had to change universities because of it three years ago, I managed to get on a train. I MANAGED TO GET ON A MOTHER ****ING TRAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should've seen me in the train station when i got back.. I went slightly nuts.

I then went to go treat myself to a new pair of jeans to discover I've gone down to a size 8 :biggrin:

So I then decided to buy a car :biggrin:

:awesome: Really happy you've found something that works for you!

Original post by sunfowers01
Feeling all alone and miserable :frown: I need to focus, but I just can't

Anything particular you need to focus on?

Hey guys, another quick update from me. Unfortunately after being on a section 136 last night, I had a Mental Health Act assessment this morning and I've been sectioned. So I'm going back to the hospital I was in before. Feel a complete failure, I didn't think this would happen, I didn't believe it, but it has. I don't know...

I'm sorry this has happened, but don't feel like a failure, its not your fault that you are ill. Its hard adjusting to life and managing an illness, hopefully this is only a minor set back. Hope you start feeling better soon. :hugs:

Feeling absolutely **** at the moment. I think I have a job offer but will have to relocate with no financial support. I know that I wont be able to live on that salary- bills, rent, food, work commute etc... It is impossible.
I need to be at home, and so not sure what to do.

Have you gone through all your expenses and stuff in detail, or are you just guessing? You may be surprised how little you can live on if you budget properly.

Various recipes

Awesome, thank you! I always like to try out new recipes, but its better if they're recommended so you (hopefully) don't end up with inedible gloop! I made cranberry and walnut muffins today :drool:

Thanks for the link, it looks pretty useful. I asked my mum for help in the end and even though she doesn't have a clue either we did have a little bonding session. :smile: (She very much approves of me doing such a wholesome activity as knitting :rolleyes:)

Are you feeling any better today? :hugs:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sultana
I'm also terrified of speaking to people formally; the only thing I can really say is you just have to bite the bullet and do it! I try and make a rough plan of what I'm going to say/ what they might ask, to make it a bit easier. Then once you've done it you can reward yourself with something nice; I rang the bank this morning so I made muffins!

Good Luck, hope it goes well!

:awesome: Really happy you've found something that works for you!

Anything particular you need to focus on?

I'm sorry this has happened, but don't feel like a failure, its not your fault that you are ill. Its hard adjusting to life and managing an illness, hopefully this is only a minor set back. Hope you start feeling better soon. :hugs:

Have you gone through all your expenses and stuff in detail, or are you just guessing? You may be surprised how little you can live on if you budget properly.

Awesome, thank you! I always like to try out new recipes, but its better if they're recommended so you (hopefully) don't end up with inedible gloop! I made cranberry and walnut muffins today :drool:

Thanks for the link, it looks pretty useful. I asked my mum for help in the end and even though she doesn't have a clue either we did have a little bonding session. :smile: (She very much approves of me doing such a wholesome activity as knitting :rolleyes:)

Are you feeling any better today? :hugs:

Thanks! My counsellor came up with a really good quote which I think is so true. ''Think with your eyes, not your head''. Meaning, don't let your brain trail away with all these thoughts that aren't true, or highly unlikely to happen, think with your eyes, focus on the present and whats immediately happening around you''.
Woke up far too early this morning (7am :frown:) and didn't really get a decent nights sleep... spent the morning feeling icky with a dodgy tummy and lots of very very high anxiety and bad thoughts. Went out to watch the Torch relay as it passed over the top of my road and felt a bit crap and anxious, but when it came through it was a nice sight to see and I'm glad I went in the end. Then I went to my friends house and played with her new kitten and chatted for a bit :smile:

Feeling pretty epic, anxiety? Pah! Seems to have gone away for a bit, here's hoping it stays that way :biggrin: I could use a nap though... lol
Reply 5447
Original post by bytail
Mine wouldn't give me any in the first place! :grumble:

That's what I'm banking on, because otherwise I am definitely going to end up killing myself. Yeah, I hope so because I've been on the citalopram for 3 months and it hasn't done anything :s-smilie:

Some doctors are annoyingly stingy with sleeping pills!:unimpressed:

Definitely push for a change in meds, 3 months is a long time with no improvement what so ever. There are some ADs that make you drowsy and help you sleep as well, so that might be something to ask. When I was in hospital, a nurse told me that of course I don't think I can get better, because thats not been my experience as yet. The key word being yet. And its true, when you've been feeling like this for so long it doesn't feel like things will get better, but take me as evidence, they can do! Its a long road, but once you get the right meds and some therapy you can get there. :hugs:

Original post by luno
If this low mood/ feeling empty doesn't improve I know I should go to the doctors. Tbh, I should have gone months ago but I've convinced myself I can get through this. If I were to go, there is only one doctor I would be comfortable seeing but he's away for a month.

I also might need to get a form signed saying I'm physically and mentally fit for my work placement abroad. I don't want going to the doctors to affect my year abroad plans.

I don't want to go on medication and I know there is around a three month wait to see a counsellor so I don't know how going to the doctors would help me :erm:.

I'll try not to worry or feel guilty about my 'friend'.

Thank you, I'm trying to distract myself from doing it again.

How are you today? :jumphug:.

Its not a bad thing to ask for help, and accept that you can't do everything by yourself! I was the same, I delayed getting help for a couple of years and the delay definitely made things worse. It is scary going to the drs, but they should do their best to put you at ease. Is there any particular reason you don't want to be on meds? I still don't want to be on them, but they have (annoyingly) improved my life massively.

I can understand you would be worried about that form, maybe ask what sort of health problems might stop you? As long as your well enough to work, I wouldn't have thought it be a problem. It might be an idea to try and sort things now, before you go away anyway. :dontknow:

I read this back and it sounds like I'm trying to force you, sorry! Just don't want you to be scared of getting help. It might be that going away next year will be the change you need! :hugs:

If you want some distraction ideas I have some print outs with hundreds!
luno

I haven't seen many, maybe about seven... I'm slowly working my way through the others!

I have been meaning to watch Howl's Moving Castle again, so I guess I would recommend that. Of the films I haven't seen, I really want to watch My Neighbour Totoro. But they all look amazing, so you can't go wrong :biggrin:.

Cool, thats next on my list! I can't believe its taken me so long to discover these, they're awesome!
Reply 5448
Meeting went fine :woo: Luckily, he's the type of person who could talk for Scotland so I didn't have to do too much.
Original post by d123
Meeting went fine :woo: Luckily, he's the type of person who could talk for Scotland so I didn't have to do too much.

I love those kinda people :biggrin: :five: :biggrin:

Glad it went fine :hugs:
Reply 5450

Oh dear :frown: Sorry to hear this. :jumphug:
Original post by d123

glad to hear it went well :smile:
Reply 5452
Original post by Sultana
Its not a bad thing to ask for help, and accept that you can't do everything by yourself! I was the same, I delayed getting help for a couple of years and the delay definitely made things worse. It is scary going to the drs, but they should do their best to put you at ease. Is there any particular reason you don't want to be on meds? I still don't want to be on them, but they have (annoyingly) improved my life massively.

I can understand you would be worried about that form, maybe ask what sort of health problems might stop you? As long as your well enough to work, I wouldn't have thought it be a problem. It might be an idea to try and sort things now, before you go away anyway. :dontknow:

I read this back and it sounds like I'm trying to force you, sorry! Just don't want you to be scared of getting help. It might be that going away next year will be the change you need! :hugs:

If you want some distraction ideas I have some print outs with hundreds!

Cool, thats next on my list! I can't believe its taken me so long to discover these, they're awesome!

I know it's not bad to ask for help but I just can't. I wouldn't say I am scared but the idea of going just makes everything feel more 'real', which scared me the most, does that make sense? I will probably end up going but I am coping at the moment. Although I often feel low and minus having a bad sleeping pattern, I feel like I am coping. I carry on with my life and routine like normal, maybe because I have to. The idea of becoming dependent on meds just scares me. I also have this thought that it'll change me as a person and hide the 'real' me. But I will keep your advice in mind, thank you :hugs:.

I would say I am well enough to work but going to the doctors so close to my year abroad with mental health issues just seems like it will cause problems, especially since I will be working in a school :erm:. I will look into the form though.

No, you don't sound like you're trying to force me at all! I really appreciate your help. Thank you, that's what I am hoping too - sometimes I feel a bit trapped and sick of the same thing everyday so I am hoping a change of scene and a chance to live independently will help me :biggrin:.

Which distraction ideas would you say help you the most?

Cool, you'll have to keep me updated and let me know what you think when you watch them :biggrin:!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5453

I am sorry to hear that :console:. You are not a failure though.

I hope you feel better soon :jumphug:!
(edited 11 years ago)
I was walking home and spied a lovely cat which let me stroke it for ages and it rubbed up against me and let me scrungle its belly. :h: I love kitties!
Thanks! My counsellor came up with a really good quote which I think is so true. ''Think with your eyes, not your head''. Meaning, don't let your brain trail away with all these thoughts that aren't true, or highly unlikely to happen, think with your eyes, focus on the present and whats immediately happening around you''.

I don't mean to put a downer on things, but that's a really really bad quote to follow if you hallucinate. :tongue:
Reply 5456
I was walking home and spied a lovely cat which let me stroke it for ages and it rubbed up against me and let me scrungle its belly. :h: I love kitties!

I get to see my cats in just over 48 hours :woo:

Wait until you see my cat, I think she's your twin. Her hobbies include biting, scratching, doing the complete opposite of what you want her to do, climbing trees and meowing at other cats.
:frown: I hate being so alone.

not even sure I can make camping now as my bank ****ed up something with my account and now I only have £2 in it :s-smilie:

managed to mess up even trying to shave earlier, and still not heard from the person I care about and sent a stupid text to them when drunk as well so idk.

and oh yeah, apparently I probably can't go back to Uni in October even if I wanted to as they do an assessment beforehand which given how **** my mood has been I can't imagine I would pass.

and yay the bad thoughts return. :cry2:
I hate, hate, hate, HATE government agencies. I'm trying to sort something out atm and I've called about 10 different numbers and got passed from one to another no one willing to help. Then I finally got the right people and they needed something faxed to them. So I ran to the library uphill to do it before they close, got really really stressed, then voices started shouting, I nearly burst out crying in the library, I'm still feeling paranoid that the librarian copied the papers I got her to fax to use against me, then I had to walk home with everyone in the street staring at me and laughing, feeling so ****. Now I'm home, they're being loud and really cruel, I called the government agency back to see if they got it and they cba to do anything with it today so it was totally useless getting myself stressed over it. Now I'm trying to read an article as I've read none today and the voices are so so so loud, I just want to hide under my blanket and cry but this needs doing so I can't. ARGH.

Latest