The Student Room Group

UK Medical School International Applicants Discussion Megathread 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
Original post by bsblitter
What happens if I apply and tick the box that i can attend the interview and get an offer then decide that I cannot actually go to the interview there? will they be willing to give me a phone interview or such?

AND...when do u get this email? after ur offer? or do uhave to email them before u apply?

No. I have heard of a few medical schools that offer Skype interviews (can't list any off the top of my head) but not phone interviews. However, medical schools understand that it may be more difficult for international students to arrange transport etc so they would usually give you a list / range of possible dates and locations for you to choose from.

You don't get an offer until after you have successfully passed the interview stage...

If they are interested in your application, they will contact you and arrange for an interview to take place...
If I'm doing my A levels in the UK at the moment but I wasn't born here, am I still considered as an International applicant? haha
Reply 1042
Original post by Meltingice
If I'm doing my A levels in the UK at the moment but I wasn't born here, am I still considered as an International applicant? haha

Iirc, you have to own a piece of property in the UK for at least 3 years, and hold a UK/EU passport to qualify for Home/EU fees. Studying in the UK will still leave you as an international applicant I'm afraid. :no:
Reply 1043
Original post by Vulpes
Iirc, you have to own a piece of property in the UK for at least 3 years, and hold a UK/EU passport to qualify for Home/EU fees. Studying in the UK will still leave you as an international applicant I'm afraid. :no:

I think we only have to live in the UK for at least 3 years and then apply for citizenship. If after that we get a UK passport, we qualify for the Home fee.

Please correct me if I am wrong. OP, check the UKBA website and also the information for international students webpage on the UCAS website.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1044
Original post by M Kh
I think we only have to live in the UK for at least 3 years and then apply for citizenship. If after that we get a UK passport, we qualify for the Home fee.

Please correct me if I am wrong. OP, check the UKBA website and also the information for international students webpage on the UCAS website.

The living in the UK bit can be avoided if you have been paying taxes for the past 3 years. I have a full uk citizenship but as my parents moved back to Hong Kong before i was born, I was considered an International student.
Reply 1045
Original post by bsblitter
What happens if I apply and tick the box that i can attend the interview and get an offer then decide that I cannot actually go to the interview there? will they be willing to give me a phone interview or such?

AND...when do u get this email? after ur offer? or do uhave to email them before u apply?

It would be better to email to universities even before you have applied there if they are able to grant you an interview at your preferred country. Some hold interviews at countries like Singapore and Canada. I think only St Andrew's offer a phone interview (but they much prefer a one to one or skype interview). Some only interview in UK so don't apply there at all if it's not convenient. Offers will be given out only after interviews (although a few universities don't interview at all)
Just realised I need to get a Letter of Good conduct from malaysia.

:facepalm:

Anyone know how important the LGC is, if it's not from my home country? (or what'd happen if I can't get it in time for enrollment?)
Original post by hslakaal
Just realised I need to get a Letter of Good conduct from malaysia.

:facepalm:

Anyone know how important the LGC is, if it's not from my home country? (or what'd happen if I can't get it in time for enrollment?)

Wait are you saying you have to get it from your home country or Malaysia? Cause if it's Malaysia, I might be able to help you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Meltingice
Wait are you saying you have to get it from your home country or Malaysia? Cause if it's Malaysia, I might be able to help you.

Haha. I doubt you can. I'll be going to the embassy once I get my passport back from the VFS. (since I've gotta give in the original passport, copies, photos and whatnot)

thanks for the offer though
Haha. I doubt you can. I'll be going to the embassy once I get my passport back from the VFS. (since I've gotta give in the original passport, copies, photos and whatnot)

No problem. It was quite a hassle for me too, getting it done. :frown:

Hi, I have checked my portal, it only attached a form for declaration of any previous convictions but did not ask for a letter of good conduct. Is it necessary?
Original post by irianjaya
Hi, I have checked my portal, it only attached a form for declaration of any previous convictions but did not ask for a letter of good conduct. Is it necessary?

Yes
Reply 1052
Hope this doesn't count as spam :ninja:

Hello. :smile:

I’m an international student hoping to get in to medicine. I was just wondering whether or not we’re allowed to specialize in the UK. Some posts I’ve read said we are and some say we aren’t. I’ve tried looking for a proper thread but I can’t find one. Are international students allowed to continue learning after the undergraduate course? I know it probably is a stupid question but I’d like to clarify this. If we’re not, things are made a little difficult for me. I’m not sure if doing the undergraduate course at a UK medical school rather than at an overseas university makes a difference. I guess my question is would I immediately be sent back to my own country after I’m done with the undergraduate course?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1054
Original post by cat-lover

I’m an international student hoping to get in to medicine. I was just wondering whether or not we’re allowed to specialize in the UK. Some posts I’ve read said we are and some say we aren’t. I’ve tried looking for a proper thread but I can’t find one. Are international students allowed to continue learning after the undergraduate course? I know it probably is a stupid question but I’d like to clarify this. If we’re not, things are made a little difficult for me. I’m not sure if doing the undergraduate course at a UK medical school rather than at an overseas university makes a difference. I guess my question is would I immediately be sent back to my own country after I’m done with the undergraduate course?

The way things are going right now, I highly doubt that by the time you and I graduate we will be allowed to even do foundation years in the UK. It's getting bad for internationals.
Reply 1055

You would need to apply for a tier 4 visa when you start your FY - there's a lot of information for internationals on the foundation programme site, go and have a read :smile:
Reply 1056
Original post by snooopp
You would need to apply for a tier 4 visa when you start your FY - there's a lot of information for internationals on the foundation programme site, go and have a read :smile:

Based on reading, I am a bit confused (do we need to apply for tier 1/2 visa) post-foundation years and during specialty (GP etc) programmes?
Reply 1057
Original post by snooopp

Hey I am a little confused. Don't we already have a tier 4 visa during medical school? Does that one end when med school ends? And then we have to reapply to get it back for foundation years?

I was under the impression that tier 4 ends at med school and then we apply for tier 1/2 (not sure which one) once we are able to secure a job.

Also, someone was telling me it's a bit of a catch 22 situation in that you need a visa to get a job, but you need a job to get a visa.

How does it work :confused:
Original post by .eXe
Hey I am a little confused. Don't we already have a tier 4 visa during medical school? Does that one end when med school ends? And then we have to reapply to get it back for foundation years?

I was under the impression that tier 4 ends at med school and then we apply for tier 1/2 (not sure which one) once we are able to secure a job.

Also, someone was telling me it's a bit of a catch 22 situation in that you need a visa to get a job, but you need a job to get a visa.

How does it work :confused:

Training after foundation years becomes a bit of a gray area so I don't know what to tell you there. However, for foundation years you will need to apply for an extension of your Tier 4 visa, which will cover both foundation years. I was told by the head of medicine at my school that international students are at no disadvantage when applying for foundation posts because the foundation years are considered a part of your med school education. The EU requires a certain number of hours of medical education so you have to complete F1 in the UK at least if you want to practice there, so they actually encourage international students to stay through F1.

From what I've heard about specialty training, you need to find a specialty training post that wants you and then they sponsor you for a Tier 1 visa. However, this is just hearsay and even if it is true may change by the time any of us are looking for training posts.

For foundation years 1+2 you will need a Tier 4 visa which will be sponsored by UKFPO. Afterwards you will need a Tier 2 visa where the NHS Trust that you'll be working at will to be your sponsor.

From my research and asking consultants and recruiters...they say that as long as you are fit for the job...they don't see why they would take a less qualified British doctor as we all graduated from a UK medical school. I think the best advice is to keep your options open and not have any expectations. Just make sure you work hard during medical school. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending