The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

GCSE grades for birmingham dentistry?

Hi

I am trying to find out the entry requirments for birmingham uni for dentistry, however my gcses were 10 As and 1 A*, has anyone who is at bham uni for dentistry got any advice regarding gcse grades? will my grades be disadvantage because everyone i have spoken to told me i need 5 A*s at gcse for dentistry :/
Reply 1
oh thank you, i was really scared for a minute,
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by kbountra
Don't listen to them- I got an offer with 3A*7A. From what the admissions tutor was saying, as long as you get the core 5 As in their required GCSE subjects, you've passed that obstacle and the focus moves to other factors like your PS/A level predictions etc.

btw can I also ask what kind of AS grades did you get?? thank you
Original post by ambrin ox
btw can I also ask what kind of AS grades did you get?? thank you

AAAB but I didn't take Birmingham up on their offer...
Reply 4
two people have told me that they require at least 6A*s..
Reply 5
Original post by kbountra
Don't listen to them- I got an offer with 3A*7A. From what the admissions tutor was saying, as long as you get the core 5 As in their required GCSE subjects, you've passed that obstacle and the focus moves to other factors like your PS/A level predictions etc.

If you don't mind me asking, did you gain an A at english GCSE? and also, say someone got a B instead would it be a waste of an application considering they gained A's in the sciences/maths?
Reply 6
Original post by selena_x
two people have told me that they require at least 6A*s..

Wow, this is an old thread I just realised...:eek::eek:
Original post by Moz-786
If you don't mind me asking, did you gain an A at english GCSE? and also, say someone got a B instead would it be a waste of an application considering they gained A's in the sciences/maths?

Yeah you need an A in English or they won't even consider you. Just checked their latest entry requirements and they now want you to have A*s in GCSE Biology and Chemistry.
I got 3A*s 4As 2Bs and 2Cs for my GCSEs and AAAA at AS and I currently have a conditional (AAA) offer :smile: I was very late to be interviewed though and had plenty of work exp on my personal statement. Soo it can be done :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jenniferann232
I got 3A*s 4As 2Bs and 2Cs for my GCSEs and AAAA at AS and I currently have a conditional (AAA) offer :smile: I was very late to be interviewed though and had plenty of work exp on my personal statement. Soo it can be done :smile:

That's similar to what I am predicted so you've given me hope :biggrin: Did you gain an A*/A at English GCSE? and also what were your AS choices :smile:
Original post by Moz-786
That's similar to what I am predicted so you've given me hope :biggrin: Did you gain an A*/A at English GCSE? and also what were your AS choices :smile:

Did you read my earlier post? If you didn't get an A/A* in GCSE English you can't apply to Birmingham for Dentistry.
Original post by Moz-786

Yes I did, 2As in English. I took bio, chem, maths and physics. With these GCSEs I did worry because I reckon most got a lot higher and as the competition for places increases it will get harder to secure an offer. I only have bham, but it is better than none I guess. Just make sure that you do everything you can think of for work exp, manual dexterity, volunteering etc. I found it's needed to balance out the grades :smile: also the UKCAT is important and get as high as you can on that too because as I said, there will probably be more competition for places, for dentistry I don't feel like the fees have made a difference as the degree is important to go into dentistry. Just give it your all! :biggrin: good luck and feel free to pm me.
Reply 12
Yes I did, 2As in English. I took bio, chem, maths and physics. With these GCSEs I did worry because I reckon most got a lot higher and as the competition for places increases it will get harder to secure an offer. I only have bham, but it is better than none I guess. Just make sure that you do everything you can think of for work exp, manual dexterity, volunteering etc. I found it's needed to balance out the grades :smile: also the UKCAT is important and get as high as you can on that too because as I said, there will probably be more competition for places, for dentistry I don't feel like the fees have made a difference as the degree is important to go into dentistry. Just give it your all! :biggrin: good luck and feel free to pm me.

My grades for GCSE are kind of Bad. I have 2A*, 7As. 1 B, and 1 C ( A in English Language, and B in English Literature). Moreover, I also do not have A*'s in Biology and Chemistry, just really High A's. In my A-levels, I am doing all sciences, Maths, and critical thinking. I do Young Enterprise, lots of mentoring, volunteering at a care home, and other work experience stuff. If my predictions for A level are to be AAAB, Can I get into Birmingham Dentistry then? Or would it be a waste of time? I really want to go to Birmingham University, but I think because of my GCSE's, i dont have a chance.
Original post by Geassuser
My grades for GCSE are kind of Bad. I have 2A*, 7As. 1 B, and 1 C ( A in English Language, and B in English Literature). Moreover, I also do not have A*'s in Biology and Chemistry, just really High A's. In my A-levels, I am doing all sciences, Maths, and critical thinking. I do Young Enterprise, lots of mentoring, volunteering at a care home, and other work experience stuff. If my predictions for A level are to be AAAB, Can I get into Birmingham Dentistry then? Or would it be a waste of time? I really want to go to Birmingham University, but I think because of my GCSE's, i dont have a chance.

All I can really say is check their prospectus and see what it says in there. For my GCSEs I got 3 A* (sciences), 4 As, 2 Bs and 2 Cs and I got an offer. But if they specify particular subjects for A*s/As and it's not what you've got i'll be honest, look somewhere else possibly because it's so competitive and it's only going to get worse.
Some people on here try and wrap it up in cotton wool like 'aww, give it a go' at someone trying to apply for cambrige with no hope in hell for example. I think people just need to be told to be cautious with this stuff :smile:
Reply 14
All I can really say is check their prospectus and see what it says in there. For my GCSEs I got 3 A* (sciences), 4 As, 2 Bs and 2 Cs and I got an offer. But if they specify particular subjects for A*s/As and it's not what you've got i'll be honest, look somewhere else possibly because it's so competitive and it's only going to get worse.
Some people on here try and wrap it up in cotton wool like 'aww, give it a go' at someone trying to apply for cambrige with no hope in hell for example. I think people just need to be told to be cautious with this stuff :smile:

Thank you for your useful advise ^^ And thanks for replying. And I guess I rather be safe than sorry, so it'd be better to apply else where =(. Thanks a bunch though.
Reply 15
Hi guys I really want to do dentistry at Birmingham University I'm in my first year of 6th form and for GSCE'S I received 7A*'S 2AS 2BS I received A*'S in all sciences maths and english literature BUT i got a B in english language will the totally ignore me because of it? My AS predictions are 4AS. Are my chances ruined due to my B in English Language.
Original post by Moz-786

I know this is old but did you take the UKCAT test? And how much work experience did you do, if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Cheeeeeeers

ahh sorry i misquoted the previous person! :biggrin:
I know this is old but did you take the UKCAT test? And how much work experience did you do, if you don't mind me asking
Cheeeeeeers
Reply 18
UK unis seem to be working against home students. If u come from a dole fiddling background or from certain African countries in the UK on false assylum background you can get on with B and C grades at A Level and of course free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending