The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL UNIT 2 HELP PLEASE! (Super Urgent)

:smile:

I am really struggling about whether to do A-Level Edexcel Religious Studies. Like does anyone know how I can go about unit 2 as it's kind of like a coursework unit and I am teaching myself.

Like does anyone have any resources or know where there any like maybe a list of sources, a guide, a book on just how to go about the whole idea of getting information and then exam technique?

Bump
Reply 2
Who will save the day?
Hello!

I will probably be able to help you. A textbook for Unit 2 probably doesn't exist in any form (certainly, I didn't use one). You pick one of the modules that you feel most interested in A - E. For example, I did Option C - Medical Ethics. Within this you have to choose a contentious issue like abortion, euthanasia, palliative care, sexual ethics etc. You direct your study on this and gather notes. Your notes should center around the philosophical or religious stance and the view ethicists. This unit, in particular, is quite hard to be self-taught; the exam technique and ability to understand the point of the exam need to be thoroughly looked over.

Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by youjennatsix
Hello!

I will probably be able to help you. A textbook for Unit 2 probably doesn't exist in any form (certainly, I didn't use one). You pick one of the modules that you feel most interested in A - E. For example, I did Option C - Medical Ethics. Within this you have to choose a contentious issue like abortion, euthanasia, palliative care, sexual ethics etc. You direct your study on this and gather notes. Your notes should center around the philosophical or religious stance and the view ethicists. This unit, in particular, is quite hard to be self-taught; the exam technique and ability to understand the point of the exam need to be thoroughly looked over.

Good luck!

Thank you for helping out! I guess it may be better to look at another exam board. However how do you know when enough is enough as with all the resources out there you could go on forever and ever and almost ever...
Original post by mr j man
Thank you for helping out! I guess it may be better to look at another exam board. However how do you know when enough is enough as with all the resources out there you could go on forever and ever and almost ever...

Edexcel is probably the best out there - my college has spent the last 3 years changing, until on advice from a Cambridge professor, they began to teach the Edexcel spec. I am guessing that you are going to be doing the Philosophy and Ethics paper for Paper 1? It seems to be generally the most popular...

The exam for paper 2 is 1 hour and 15 minutes if I remember correctly, and boy did it go quick - I was writing erratically. I aimed for an introduction, then three paragraphs setting out the key issues within the topic, then three paragraphs on religious perspectives, three on ethical perspectives and a conclusion. You can then almost double that, as you are supposed to evaluate the argument you lay out. They are lengthy paragraphs too! It's going to be difficult to teach this bit to yourself, but not impossible, (and I would also be warned about your hand seizing up in the exam). It wasn't common for some classmates to fill the exam booklet or even to go onto extra paper! So I would say, do some broad research; have some case studies, religious/ethical perspectives, legal views etc. and try to condense this. Any more questions?! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by youjennatsix
Edexcel is probably the best out there - my college has spent the last 3 years changing, until on advice from a Cambridge professor, they began to teach the Edexcel spec. I am guessing that you are going to be doing the Philosophy and Ethics paper for Paper 1? It seems to be generally the most popular...

The exam for paper 2 is 1 hour and 15 minutes if I remember correctly, and boy did it go quick - I was writing erratically. I aimed for an introduction, then three paragraphs setting out the key issues within the topic, then three paragraphs on religious perspectives, three on ethical perspectives and a conclusion. You can then almost double that, as you are supposed to evaluate the argument you lay out. They are lengthy paragraphs too! It's going to be difficult to teach this bit to yourself, but not impossible, (and I would also be warned about your hand seizing up in the exam). It wasn't common for some classmates to fill the exam booklet or even to go onto extra paper! So I would say, do some broad research; have some case studies, religious/ethical perspectives, legal views etc. and try to condense this. Any more questions?! :smile:

Is there anything you could send me that might help? I would have no problem with units i need to do by myself but it's like you said it is hard to self teach these coursework parts. Obviously it sounds like you need to collect information so I would need a list maybe I will have to search harder and also maybe a bit of exam technique. The website isn't too helpful. Did your teacher give you much guidance.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending