The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

What changes would you like to see to improve your RHUL experience?

For most of you on this board I assume that you are about to just start RHUL but I can tell that there are still a few of you (Thanks to the huge popularity of my "Post a question and we will answer it..." thread) who know a lot about RHUL and like contributing and helping out.

I would like to know what you would like to see changed at RHUL to make your entire experience more enjoyable and successful?
This question is also proposed to incoming students... What would you like to see at RHUL that you think would be important to the enjoyment and success of your time here?

Thanks x
Reply 1
Good idea for a thread, Koenig!

I guess better acts at the SU is one that many students would mention, and though I don't think it makes a massive impact on our student experience, it would be nice to have some bigger acts, especially during Freshers' Week.

In general, I do wish the college would be a bit more transparent about everything...It's things like us being an Olympic Village that make me think that they don't always put the students first, despite us paying our fees and contributing to the college's finances. Like, I'm not saying being an Olympic Village was an entirely bad thing, but if they'd just made it clear exactly what was going to happen and when, or even if they didn't know that, that they didn't know that, it would've been nice.

Finally, I wish there was a bit more interaction with the other University of London colleges. The fact that ULU means pretty much nothing to most of our students really needs to change.

I'm sure I'll be back with more another time, haha.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Any other thoughts from new, incoming or students who are already here?
Reply 3
Original post by Koenig
Any other thoughts from new, incoming or students who are already here?

I'm an incoming freshman. I believe that the admissions department aren't extremely responsive as I wrote to them 8 times and then had to call them for a solution to my problem.
Reply 4
The communication could be better.

For example, if it wasn't for this board I would not have realised I got an email with my log in details to start enrolment, and as I am poor at checking my spam folder, would have missed it completely. The impression RHUL give in prior communication is that a letter would be sent.

Also if it wasn't for this board, I wouldn't have noticed the reading list on the psychology web page, as I no longer have need to access that page, but have now learnt that I do need to check it more frequently.

Clearer and earlier communication about bursaries, I am still (3 months) trying to work out an answer directly with RHUL about the different bursary options of payment, I emailed in first instance, and RHUL forwarded to the right department, but I never heard anything back. I rang and got given a different number, but no one answers the number that I was given, no matter what time I ring. It has been really important for me to know the funds I will have available, so I can work out a budget and what I needed to save etc. and I am sure others would have been happier with a clearer outline. Again I only found out on here that the bursary is paid at the end and not at the start of the term.

Sorry the above sounds quite negative, it is not, as on the other hand I have been really impressed by the tutors that I have spoken to, and I really can't wait to start.
Reply 5
Better communication across the board. Both in the form of informing students about what's going on (eg Olympics disruption) and finding out what students actually want rather than making assumptions.

It's improving, though: the College are doing more surveys to find out what students actually think and want, which is resulting in good improvements forecast for the future -- for example, they're finally doing something about the library and book shop, though it won't be in any of our times here.
Reply 6
Thanks for the response guys! I agree on the communication side and sometimes its out there but just not seen.

Are there any support areas you think could be improved or any events that you would like to see apart from those at the SU?
Reply 7
The college giving a damn about noise at night in halls and on campus.
They did bugger all last year for my halls (after >400 complaints from myself and others) and that totally ruined the experience for me.

On my course, I wish that RHUL would stop spending money on pointless vanity projects like being an olympic village and refreshed the equipment in my department, much of which is broken to varying degrees.
Also: my department cuts costs massively for fieldwork by providing the bare minimums, like some transport and most accommodation and leaves students to pay for everything else - food during the trip and baggage charges are the two big ones.
There's also rumours that on the day, we'll be told to pay for motel accommodation, which given that the trip starts BEFORE term and therefore student finance payments is not cool. They've done it without prior warning to every year group but the last, following massive complaints.

If the RHUL management would kindly stop giving the impression that they are trying to bankrupt the Earth Science department, that would really help.
Perhaps they could use some of their £5 million profit each year which is being put to no other good use? Or perhaps their £90 million pile of cash in the bank?
Original post by fibrebiz
The college giving a damn about noise at night in halls and on campus.
They did bugger all last year for my halls (after >400 complaints from myself and others) and that totally ruined the experience for me.

On my course, I wish that RHUL would stop spending money on pointless vanity projects like being an olympic village and refreshed the equipment in my department, much of which is broken to varying degrees.
Also: my department cuts costs massively for fieldwork by providing the bare minimums, like some transport and most accommodation and leaves students to pay for everything else - food during the trip and baggage charges are the two big ones.
There's also rumours that on the day, we'll be told to pay for motel accommodation, which given that the trip starts BEFORE term and therefore student finance payments is not cool. They've done it without prior warning to every year group but the last, following massive complaints.

If the RHUL management would kindly stop giving the impression that they are trying to bankrupt the Earth Science department, that would really help.
Perhaps they could use some of their £5 million profit each year which is being put to no other good use? Or perhaps their £90 million pile of cash in the bank?

They spent it all on the Management department, sorry!
Reply 9

On the contrary, the College isn't spending any money at all on being an Olympic village and will be making a profit out of it. All the equipment and additional staff were paid for by Locog, who are also paying the College for use of their accommodation and catering services. The College's response to my FOI request on the matter:

RHUL
a.) there is no cost to the College for securing ‘the Village site’

b.) the only extra staff hired for the event on a fixed-term contract is the London 2012 Project Co-ordinator, whose salary is met by LOCOG (London Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games)

c.) the installation of additional security equipment is provided and paid for by LOCOG

d.) the accommodation, food and staffing costs is based on the standard conferencing tariff and is revenue for the College

e.) transportation for the event is provided by LOCOG

f.) there is no relocation of services within ‘the Village site’; this is vacation period

RHUL
a.) We can advise that due to the volume of numbers the revenue generated will be in excess of what is usual for this conferencing period. This will be reflected in the Annual Financial Statements which are published in the autumn ... There is no revenue from grants, advertising or sponsorship.
Reply 10
I'm glad that the college is doing what it's doing best and profiting from the massive disruption they caused, but it's not like everybody in my department is asking for an ipad...
Reply 11
Original post by lareneg
On the contrary, the College isn't spending any money at all on being an Olympic village and will be making a profit out of it. All the equipment and additional staff were paid for by Locog, who are also paying the College for use of their accommodation and catering services. The College's response to my FOI request on the matter:

This. And I heard the uni could have made even more money if locog had wanted to buy up the road between the security bubbles.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my U20i
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
I'm glad that the college is doing what it's doing best and profiting from the massive disruption they caused, but it's not like everybody in my department is asking for an ipad...

I'm not saying that the College is treating your department excellently. I'm just correcting the huge inaccuracies that you posted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending