The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

University of Liverpool Accommodation Thread

Scroll to see replies

I was offered a catered room in the west block of Vine Court (room C2020) and it's £165 a week :s-smilie:
My mother paid the £150 deposit straight off but I don't know if she realises that the room will cost close to £7000 for the entire year.
I did apply for self-catered as it was cheaper but I was wondering if it is catered, does that mean food is provided and is paid for within that £7000 or do you have to pay additional for food? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Also if it is catered do you still have to bring your own kitchen equipment like it says on the 'essential items' list?

Also I have to move in on the 2nd September (a week away!) and I haven't got anything ready. My grandad had saved a lot of money to pay for his grandkids to go to uni so he is supposed to be paying for it but my parents haven't sorted out the fee payment yet and I can't do it myself because I have no idea what to do. I'm just really worried I won't have enough money.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by LydiaCPatterson
I was offered a catered room in the west block of Vine Court (room C2020) and it's £165 a week :s-smilie:
My mother paid the £150 deposit straight off but I don't know if she realises that the room will cost close to £7000 for the entire year.
I did apply for self-catered as it was cheaper but I was wondering if it is catered, does that mean food is provided and is paid for within that £7000 or do you have to pay additional for food? Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. Also if it is catered do you still have to bring your own kitchen equipment like it says on the 'essential items' list?

Also I have to move in on the 2nd September (a week away!) and I haven't got anything ready. My grandad had saved a lot of money to pay for his grandkids to go to uni so he is supposed to be paying for it but my parents haven't sorted out the fee payment yet and I can't do it myself because I have no idea what to do. I'm just really worried I won't have enough money.

The same sort of thing has happened to me, though I haven't paid the deposit. I've been offered the same sort of room and am stressing that I can't afford. I think it says on the home page of liv.ac.uk/housing after you've signed in and clicked on the accommodation tab that you have 7 days after you've accepted the agreement to cancel the contract, so if it was less than 7 days ago, maybe you can cancel and have a look at some private accommodation? Or try and wait until Monday and ring them up or send another email?
Reply 882
Original post by lfbarraclough
I have been offered Vine Court catered for £165 a week and I applied for ensuite SELF CATERED all that were under £100. I can't afford the accommodation, I've been trying to get through on the phones, I have emailed about 4 times, and I have got no reply. My room offer expires tomorrow so I need to decide whether I am going to look for private accommodation and decline the offer/let it expire, or I am going to accept, pay the deposit and run the risk of not getting it changed. Anyone got any advice?

I got through to the accommodation office at about 8.30am one morning so maybe you could try that? It depends what time your offer expires tomorrow! If you do get through to them they may have cheaper alternatives- they were going to offer me another self catered accommodation but I just decided to go along with it and go catered.

Original post by LydiaCPatterson

You get given breakfast and an evening meal. Apparently the menu is similar to Carnatic and Greenbank, there is a sample menu here: http://www.liv.ac.uk/carnatic/cateredhalls/diningroom.htm
I've brought general kitchen things because we'll still need to make lunch but obviously you don't need as much as you'd need if you were going self catered and making three meals a day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by planetconwy1
Im in Vine court self catered too! Room A1054.

Oh, I didn't know you could still in halls for second year!!
Reply 884
Anyone in Capital Gate?
Reply 885
Original post by parkessss
i have too! you self-catered?

Yeah self catered! so glad someone else is. Have you had your room confirmation through? i've had nothing yet.
I am in desperate need of help...
I am just starting university in September as an undergraduate.
I basically only passed through adjustment, meaning I had no time to apply for university accommodation like everyone else who applied way back! So as I have tried to apply for 3 first choices, which were Opal court, vine court and prospect place, which are on campus accommodations I didnt get any of these choices at all, which is sad.

I then got placed at salisbury hall, for catered even, not even self catered which was what I wanted in the complete first place/ ensuite.

I don't know what to do now, because I really wanted to live oncampus, with an en suite and self catered. Now I am stuck on what to do, either to go off campus or go to another place I found which is also run by liberty halls, but called liberty park, which i heard had bad reviews,
I need to decide by monday whether to accept this off campus accommodation or not : /

But one more thing, if i do accept it, could there be 'any' chance someone ends up leaving a place at say the other off campus's, e.g. derby and rathbone or roscoe and gladstone. So that I am able to take up this accommodation instead? as it looks 10x better than salisbury. Sad times as much as there is social atmosphere....
Original post by yeahitsaddy
I am in desperate need of help...
I am just starting university in September as an undergraduate.
I basically only passed through adjustment, meaning I had no time to apply for university accommodation like everyone else who applied way back! So as I have tried to apply for 3 first choices, which were Opal court, vine court and prospect place, which are on campus accommodations I didnt get any of these choices at all, which is sad.

I then got placed at salisbury hall, for catered even, not even self catered which was what I wanted in the complete first place/ ensuite.

I don't know what to do now, because I really wanted to live oncampus, with an en suite and self catered. Now I am stuck on what to do, either to go off campus or go to another place I found which is also run by liberty halls, but called liberty park, which i heard had bad reviews,
I need to decide by monday whether to accept this off campus accommodation or not : /

But one more thing, if i do accept it, could there be 'any' chance someone ends up leaving a place at say the other off campus's, e.g. derby and rathbone or roscoe and gladstone. So that I am able to take up this accommodation instead? as it looks 10x better than salisbury. Sad times as much as there is social atmosphere....

It was highly unlikely that you would have got your first choices applying so late anyway, many of the earlier applicants didn't even get what they want.

As far as I'm aware, there's a large waiting list to be swapped to another accommodation, so again, it would probably be unlikely that you get chance to swap as many people have been on this list for a while now.

If you don't accept the accommodation, you will have to find private accommodation so personally, I recommend you accept it. Living off campus isn't so bad, there will be simple routes to get to the campus for lectures, and off campus halls will still be sociable.

You just have to make the most out of what you get I suppose.. Or look into private accommodation.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do - remember, everything happens for a reason :smile:
Thank you for your advice! yeah I think I will accept it then, because yeah your right it was pretty late and I can't do much about it now, unless someone is willing enough to drop out of a room and exchange for a catered Salisbury hall!

Do you have any idea about the accommodation though, is Salisbury Hall a good place to live in, whats the place like? Is it actually very sociable as in most students go there, especially good for making friends for my first year?
:smile:
Hi,

Did anyone apply for Railyard?
I dot't know much about this place. Could anyone tell me if it is decent enough to apply? And how is it compared to Liberty Park. There are only a few seats left, I would like to apply as soon as possible.

And one more thing. I had called Liberty park yesterday and they told me that there are few rooms left.
But the accommodating office in UOL told me that there are no seats left in Liberty.
I am a little bit confused about this.
Original post by areyousure?
Oh, I didn't know you could still in halls for second year!!

You cant under normal circumstances! but I was allowed.
Reply 891
Quick question - To those of you living at Carnatic or greenbank, how do you get back home after a night out? I'm guessing there's no buses from the city centre to these places in the early hours?
If it's after the buses run, it'll have to be taxi or walk.

Sure I read somewhere that Taxi's are about £10 to Carnatic or £8 to Greenbank. So if you share with people doesn't work out to be that a bad price

Not sure how old that was so could be more...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 893
Its not far for a drunken walk home, I'm thinking that may be my plan as a poor 1st year
Reply 894
I'm guessing it is an hour at least? I say that as a city native and I live about fifty minutes walk from the city centre!
I wouldn't walk back to Greenbank or Carnatic at anytime in the morning whilst pissed. Especially down Smithdown.
Reply 896
So do most people get taxis then? Surely there must be a huge number of taxis going between the city centre and the accommodation every night then? What about freshers when there's probably thousands of people to get home from the city centre?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by jonnny
So do most people get taxis then? Surely there must be a huge number of taxis going between the city centre and the accommodation every night then? What about freshers when there's probably thousands of people to get home from the city centre?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Liverpool have a lot of big taxi firms, Delta, Davey Liver Cabs, Alpha taxis.. Plus hackneys and other smaller firms! The three I named, you'll know the names and numbers off by heart once you start listening to Liverpool radio stations and hearing their jingles :tongue:
Reply 898
Original post by jonnny
Quick question - To those of you living at Carnatic or greenbank, how do you get back home after a night out? I'm guessing there's no buses from the city centre to these places in the early hours?

i think the buses stop at midnight-ish and there is a certain taxi firm that does the trip to the halls for about half the price as anyone else pretty sure about 4 pounds every time for a 4 seater.
Anyone in arrad house ?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending