The Student Room Group

St John Ambulance Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by raveen789
:O thanks a lot! i think id come under south Yorkshire or Yorkshire as a whole. Im a bit nervous about joining but i should be ok!

West District of North East region

Ossett is regional HQ and West District HQ 01924 262726
Reply 481
Original post by user1-4
Hi. I'm in the west midlands. I applied 6 months ago. I still haven't heard a reply

Six months ago we were in the middle of regionalisation, and not all counties were actively processing new member applications.

I believe that the standard answer is to wait 10 working days after enquiring, then if you have not heard anything give us a call back so that we can chase it up for you.

Personally, if it has been six months then I believe there is a decent chance that your original application has gone amiss.

I suggest that your best option is to give the Volunteer Administration team a call on 0121 236 6660 to chase it up.
You will also find this number on the right hand side of http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/counties/west-midlands.aspx

Alternatively, begin a new application via http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/volunteer.aspx
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 482
Original post by KingGoonIan
Yes music festivals always seem to be very hectic usually due to drink, drugs and broken glass. A lot of my peers always go to this music festival in my area where they wait in a ward-style bus for a horde of casualties that come in all night long. Sounds like great experience but I don't feel confident enough to take it on yet, maybe after a years nursing I will be up to the challenge.

No worries about not exposing the details of those interesting cases.

I can definitely see where you are coming from - it is genuinely quite scary doing treatments for the first time... well, the first couple dozen times tbf!!) - but I do need to call Nonsense!

The great thing about big events is that there will always be experienced hands available to watch over you / for you to observe. Unless you're unlucky enough to be with a douche that looks down upon newbies, the vast majority of experienced members will happily let you treat and give you the confidence that if you aren't doing it right they are on hand to assist.

Obviously you need to make the judgement call as to what care you are able to provide (if there are two doctors, three paramedics and a nurse handling a cardiac arrest, there's little value that you can add to the team with just basic first aid training), but if it is a cut finger or a blister that has popped then these are the kinds of things you should definitely be treating.

If you aren't confident off the bat, ask the more experienced member to talk you through it.
If you feel like you want to, explain to the patient that you are fully trained (put them at ease) but just haven't had much experience with this particular type of injury which is why you're just a little bit nervous and your colleague is going to oversee. It is better to get it out in the open, laugh about it together and put it behind you and then not have to worry about it than watch them look at you nervously.

Get that hands-on experience even if it means making that ETA sit on their backside filling in paperwork! :P

<soapbox mode>

Spoiler

Your division sounds much more organised than mine. When I first joined I was allowed to observe straight away on duties without having any training. I was given a high-vis with 'observer' on my back. Does your division allow this too?

Fortunately, the West Midlands has always had a amazing LINKS support structure in place to ensure that things go well. That and we are just that awesome ;]

I have never been in a "regular" adult unit (nor badgers/cadets tbf..). I joined at LINKS.

Until the recent addition of TFA, we have never really promoted going on events as anything other than a first aider. I have no doubt that we would not prevent it from happening, however.
Reply 483
Original post by MadeleineH
what strikes me is the number of people at stadium duties that get themselves so worked up they have a heart attack! how can you care that much about sport? ? i hate doing stadium duties for this reason. Though i have never come across hypothermia there lol its mostly headaches i find :smile:

I am yet to be involved / around when a cardiac arrest has happened. I still wonder how I will react if I come across such an incident.

Headaches and "where's the toilet?" are the big two queries.. :P
Original post by kwah
x

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate the effort you must have taken to write all of that :smile:

Just for the record I have been an AFA (old spec) for the last year or so and have been attending minor events and rugby duties but still don't feel confident enough to take on a big duty like a music festival. Maybe I should just get in there and go for it but I'm not sure yet.

My first duty of the season is coming up in about 2 weeks got the start of the rugby season, woo!

Anyone else got any duties coming up or any topics of discussion?
Original post by kwah
I am yet to be involved / around when a cardiac arrest has happened. I still wonder how I will react if I come across such an incident.

Headaches and "where's the toilet?" are the big two queries.. :P

i was always told there are only two things u need to know on duty and that is 1) where the toilet is
2) if there is free tea and coffee :colone: lol

I found that when i come across a serious illnesses i go into 'the zone' and don't worry until after everything has settled down :biggrin:
x

Don't forget the free food vouchers!

Once one of my colleagues went way over the top with his free food voucher. He got a bacon, egg and pineapple half-pounder and that was just his first voucher.
Don't forget the free food vouchers!

Once one of my colleagues went way over the top with his free food voucher. He got a bacon, egg and pineapple half-pounder and that was just his first voucher.

I remember a local duty I did about 3 years ago, there was a Nando's tent next to the ambulance and we were allowed unlimited free Nando's! :drool:
Original post by Witty Username
I remember a local duty I did about 3 years ago, there was a Nando's tent next to the ambulance and we were allowed unlimited free Nando's! :drool:

Nandos in a tent! :coma:

There was a Pimms tent next to us once but we couldn't have any :cry2:
Reply 489
I've applied to be a cadet and its been way over 10 days and St John's still haven't replied back. errrm how do i actually join it?
Original post by ergo30
I've applied to be a cadet and its been way over 10 days and St John's still haven't replied back. errrm how do i actually join it?

Where are you from?
Reply 491
Where are you from?

I live in sutton, London.
Original post by ergo30
I live in sutton, London.

Okay, have you contacted your local division(s) directly or the London HQ? I'm not really sure how the joining process for cadets happens any more, back in my day you just turned up and they sorted you out with the forms!
Okay, have you contacted your local division(s) directly or the London HQ? I'm not really sure how the joining process for cadets happens any more, back in my day you just turned up and they sorted you out with the forms!

i think its pretty much the same still :smile:
i think its pretty much the same still :smile:

In that case it's probably easiest for him to turn up in person and find out what paperwork needs to be sorted for him to join.
Reply 495
Original post by kwah
Six months ago we were in the middle of regionalisation, and not all counties were actively processing new member applications.

I believe that the standard answer is to wait 10 working days after enquiring, then if you have not heard anything give us a call back so that we can chase it up for you.

Personally, if it has been six months then I believe there is a decent chance that your original application has gone amiss.

I suggest that your best option is to give the Volunteer Administration team a call on 0121 236 6660 to chase it up.
You will also find this number on the right hand side of http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/counties/west-midlands.aspx

Alternatively, begin a new application via http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/volunteer.aspx

thanks
Just finished my first rugby duty of the new season. We had 2 neck injuries and a shoulder dislocation to deal with but all worked out ok in the end :smile:
Hello, i was thinking about joining the Cadets but i was wondering if someone could explain what kinds of things they do as a Cadet. Thank you.
Reply 498
I applied for the youth cadet scheme at SJA about a month ago. I rang in and they said they'll get back to me but no one has got in contact with me. I'm really worried because If I want to apply for paramedic practice in uni next year I need atleast some form of experience. Does anyone know why it's taken this long for them to contact me back?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
Hello, i was thinking about joining the Cadets but i was wondering if someone could explain what kinds of things they do as a Cadet. Thank you.

When I was a cadet I remember learning and practising lots of first aid and drill. It was some time ago mind, so I can't really remember anything else!

Original post by 2495
I applied for the youth cadet scheme at SJA about a month ago. I rang in and they said they'll get back to me but no one has got in contact with me. I'm really worried because If I want to apply for paramedic practice in uni next year I need atleast some form of experience. Does anyone know why it's taken this long for them to contact me back?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Slow/poor admin? If you're really worried try giving them another call and see where your application has got to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending