The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

I hate being a workaholic so much, but I'm no longer sure how to break out of it or whether I want to : /
Original post by jazzykinks
I know :smile: with all my past boyfriends, they've called me stupid or whatever because of my depression and my ED past. They haven't cared or treated me with special care because of how fragile I can be. Now I have this one and he's trying so hard.

If someone had told me that it was possible to recover 2 years ago, I would have laughed. If they told me I would then find a man who understood and cared about me, regardless of how I felt I looked/if I had fat days etc., I would have rolled on the floor laughing. Honestly thought I was going to be the old, depressed cat lady. I guess when you have an ED, you don't believe you're worthy of love. x

you might still get to be like 100 and be surrounded by cats :P. Well, having a panic attack in labs wasnt how i wanted to celebrate my birthday.
Original post by TotoMimo
Anon, this person sounds like the epitome, the absolute perfect confidant for your disease. Trust me, you have at least the blessing of having a person like that in your life; a LOT of people on here don't have that luxury.

Grab the opportunity with both hands; getting better isn't just a possibility, it's either that, or a very painful descent into the ground. Trust me. X

I know you're right, I know I should talk to her, or a GP. But I really don't know what to say, and I'm terrified.
How do you start a conversation where you need to tell someone about your E.D.?
Any advice from anyone would be great, thanks!

J x
Sooo I have an interview for Manchester on thursday which I'm super excited and nervous about. But right now my ED is getting stronger and I can't bring myself to eat a single thing. I know I need the energy to do well at the interview but I don't know how I can do it. Anyone got any tips or advice to help me just for me to get through the next two days in a vaguely healthy way? I want to be normal, I want to go to uni and be me again, but I'm scared...
Original post by Nooshkabob
Sooo I have an interview for Manchester on thursday which I'm super excited and nervous about. But right now my ED is getting stronger and I can't bring myself to eat a single thing. I know I need the energy to do well at the interview but I don't know how I can do it. Anyone got any tips or advice to help me just for me to get through the next two days in a vaguely healthy way? I want to be normal, I want to go to uni and be me again, but I'm scared...

-hugs- what subject did you apply for? If its anything like chemistry, the interview will be to make sure you're not completely stupid. It's likely it'll be based on your PS - mine certainly were. Is there anything you'd particularly like to have/ is there any nibbly bits in the house. Try having a glass of water/ cup of tea. somethimes if i get too hungry, i stop realising that I am.

Listen to your own tips hun. You want to be normal. You want to go to Uni. For that you NEED to be alive. To be alive, you NEED to eat. Why are you stopping yourself from eating, what sense does it make in this universe or any other universe to do that? It's achieving nothing, only diminishing your health, logic and sense. No doubt you've worked damn hard all your life to learn and earn the skills to get you to Manchester for that interview; why throw it away now? For absolutely nothing at all. It'll be hard for you to eat because of this habit of not eating you've gotten yourself into now..but this habit just HAS to be broken, before it breaks you.

Good luck with your interview. I'm sure you'll make the right decision and do fabulously. X
What kind of weird, depraved creature am I?

Sitting stuffing my face looking through old food diaries (of the healthy variety when I ate clean, consistently and excercised properly), getting upset at the person I let myself become again.

Hopefully writing down a 4 week food diary will be good. I like routine, and if it's not written, it's not going in my mouth.
Original post by Anonymous
-hugs- what subject did you apply for? If its anything like chemistry, the interview will be to make sure you're not completely stupid. It's likely it'll be based on your PS - mine certainly were. Is there anything you'd particularly like to have/ is there any nibbly bits in the house. Try having a glass of water/ cup of tea. somethimes if i get too hungry, i stop realising that I am.

I've applied to do music :smile: Thankyou, sometimes it can be hard to tell that I'm actually hungry and whenever I do eat I just feel overwhelming guilty even though I know it's good for me... I'll try at least nibbling on some stuff though. I'm generally ok with apples and actimel! I have however been known to be freaked out even by water, which just makes no sense I know...

MelissaJayne - Thankyou! :smile: When you phrase it like that it seems obvious, I just seem to find it so much harder when I'm faced with the reality of a plate of food. But you're right, I have to break it before it breaks me. I need to push through this, because this ED is affecting me far too much at the moment and ruining everything :frown: xxx
Reply 4728
xxx

In order to do anything you want to do in life, you have to eat food. It's just stuff - it's not a person or anything evil that is going to betray and hurt you. It's a bunch of molecules that your body absolutely needs to break down to convert into energy to let you play your music and live your amazing life. The disordered part of you will tell you that you are not hungry and don't need food, but it is lying, and doesn't care about the longterm effects on your body, but you know this.

Your disorder will come about in order to help you cope with anxiety, like your interview, but this is the time you can say... actually... I can cope with this because I am just a very cool person - not because I am not eating :smile: Eating properly will only do you good and eating certain things won't have an impact on your interview - it will be over in a flash :smile: Think about it. That said, it is normal for nerves to make you feel a bit less hungry, but that doesn't mean that you are greedy for having normal meals :smile:

Good luck with your interview =]
Original post by Cinnie
In order to do anything you want to do in life, you have to eat food. It's just stuff - it's not a person or anything evil that is going to betray and hurt you. It's a bunch of molecules that your body absolutely needs to break down to convert into energy to let you play your music and live your amazing life. The disordered part of you will tell you that you are not hungry and don't need food, but it is lying, and doesn't care about the longterm effects on your body, but you know this.

Your disorder will come about in order to help you cope with anxiety, like your interview, but this is the time you can say... actually... I can cope with this because I am just a very cool person - not because I am not eating :smile: Eating properly will only do you good and eating certain things won't have an impact on your interview - it will be over in a flash :smile: Think about it. That said, it is normal for nerves to make you feel a bit less hungry, but that doesn't mean that you are greedy for having normal meals :smile:

Good luck with your interview =]

Thankyou! That really resonated with me actually. It is just stuff. It's only energy. For some reason in my mind it gets transformed into something evil, but really, its just molecules. It can't hurt me. It's just my thoughts that hurt me i guess. I've realised this evening that I think all the stress about applying to uni has been what's subconsciously triggered this relapse, but I will learn to cope without relying on the ED. Eating can only do me good. Eating can only do me good. That's going to be tomorrow's mantra I think! Thankyou so so much, I hope that you're doing alright xxx
Reply 4730

Spoiler

Anybody have experience of medication?
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

-hugging- no experience of medication, but i get what you mean by feeling weak for asking for help. It's something i am going to HAVE TO do after what happened on tuesday. my tutor probably should be told about this, but im terrified i've let him down, idk how to tell him, or what relelvant/ helpful for him to know.
Snow's done a Riku. As usual.
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

Yep.

Spoiler

:hugs: What are you on if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4734
Original post by .snowflake.
Snow's done a Riku. As usual.

Flattered :colondollar:
I hope you can. You don't have to tell everything to everyone all at once, just let someone you know and trust know that you're really struggling, and. as you feel more comfortable, begin to open up. You are NOT letting down anyone by asking for help. :hugs:

Yep.

Spoiler

:hugs: What are you on if you don't mind me asking?

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

Citalopram is what I was on the first time :colondollar: But to be fair to it - 1) I didn't tell *anyone* I was going on it and I didn't tell anyone when the thoughts were getting worse and 2) SSRIs have consistently been bad for me; which is quite rare I believe. You sound like you have a lot more support than I did too, I was prescribed them by a doctor I'd never met before (and the second time round too). At the end of the day more people find them to be useful than not so one bad story from me shouldn't cloud your judgement too much. As long as you tell people as soon as possible if you feel worse, then you'll be ok.
Reply 4736
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

Sorry that things have gotten bad Riku. Just remember that you are not alone in this, things will get better, and it's not your fault.

Spoiler

Reply 4737
Citalopram is what I was on the first time :colondollar: But to be fair to it - 1) I didn't tell *anyone* I was going on it and I didn't tell anyone when the thoughts were getting worse and 2) SSRIs have consistently been bad for me; which is quite rare I believe. You sound like you have a lot more support than I did too, I was prescribed them by a doctor I'd never met before (and the second time round too). At the end of the day more people find them to be useful than not so one bad story from me shouldn't cloud your judgement too much. As long as you tell people as soon as possible if you feel worse, then you'll be ok.

Sorry to hear you didn't have much support :/ I feel almost overwhelmed by it to be honest. Feel like I'm going to be seeing Sigmund Freud next! :redface: aaaand my local GPhates me now I think. One of their biggest problem patients for the secretaries ¬ ¬
Thanks for your insight all the same :smile: x

Original post by Cinnie
Sorry that things have gotten bad Riku. Just remember that you are not alone in this, things will get better, and it's not your fault.

Spoiler

Thanks Cinnie, it's always good to get a second opinion :hugs:

Spoiler

Reply 4738
Original post by Riku

Thanks Cinnie, it's always good to get a second opinion :hugs:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Need to take my own advice sometimes.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Cinnie

Spoiler