The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jazzykinks
Approval from your students union and then a sponsor. For reasons that haven't been explained to me, we need a sponsor. They don't really give anything and to be honest, it's the sponsors giving us grief! x

why are the sponsors giving you aggro. surely its a good thing you're trying to do this as an ED of any kind is pretty much the most deadly disease one could be afflicted with...
I was wondering whether you have got approval from the student union to go ahead with a support group and that they are on yr side? Have y approached anyone to be a sponsor, are they putting up money or something? X
Hey guys,

I've not posted on this forum yet, but I was hoping for some advice. Last night I found my housemate in tears, she admitted to having an eating disorder and said that she thinks she needs to see someone to get help. As we're not that close I didn't want to push for details that would make her uncomfortable, she did say that she's only ever told one other person... None of my other housemates know of this.

We got disturbed and I haven't had chance to follow up on the conversation because she's away for a couple of days. Was just looking for a little advice on how to approach her next. I want to support her without seeming too invasive, but she's already come to the conclusion herself that she needs help but doesn't know where to look? Who would she need to see? Is it something a GP might be able to refer her to?
Original post by .snowflake.
why are the sponsors giving you aggro. surely its a good thing you're trying to do this as an ED of any kind is pretty much the most deadly disease one could be afflicted with...

I don't know. They're just taking forever to do the admin. We've done all the paperwork and such but for some reason, we need a sponsor and they won't reply to emails or anything. x

Original post by Anonymous
I was wondering whether you have got approval from the student union to go ahead with a support group and that they are on yr side? Have y approached anyone to be a sponsor, are they putting up money or something? X

I've got approval and a lot of backing from the union but the sponsors are taking forever. They don't reply to our emails or anything. x
I've been feeling sooo lonely and depressed lately... I've just come back from a two-day interview at Oxford (medicine) and it didn't go that well and now I just feel **** about myself and I feel really REALLY alone too, for some reason.

Sorry, need to rant:

Spoiler

I've been feeling sooo lonely and depressed lately... I've just come back from a two-day interview at Oxford (medicine) and it didn't go that well and now I just feel **** about myself and I feel really REALLY alone too, for some reason.

Sorry, need to rant:

Spoiler

-hugs-.
Sorry to go on but what do you need from a sponsor...I'm just asking in case I can help??? What does a sponsor give you? Money, support, information? Please let me know if you are able to
It makes me really really angry that on facebook there is a girl asking about loosing weight, when she is already tiny but people are actually not only telling her to use diet pills but also what ones to use and where to buy them. Surely any idiot can see that it's just asking for disaster as she is already genuinely tiny :colonhash:
Hey guys,

I've not posted on this forum yet, but I was hoping for some advice. Last night I found my housemate in tears, she admitted to having an eating disorder and said that she thinks she needs to see someone to get help. As we're not that close I didn't want to push for details that would make her uncomfortable, she did say that she's only ever told one other person... None of my other housemates know of this.

We got disturbed and I haven't had chance to follow up on the conversation because she's away for a couple of days. Was just looking for a little advice on how to approach her next. I want to support her without seeming too invasive, but she's already come to the conclusion herself that she needs help but doesn't know where to look? Who would she need to see? Is it something a GP might be able to refer her to?

Yep GP is definitely worth trying and maybe the uni counselling service, Help can vary depending on yr location, where r u based?
Reply 4989
Anyone else totally freaking out about going home from university for Christmas? I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends but damn this gonna be tough.
Reply 4990
Original post by jft18
Anyone else totally freaking out about going home from university for Christmas? I'm looking forward to seeing family and friends but damn this gonna be tough.

Oh yes! Saying I have mixed feelings would be an understatement! Fortunately the clinic I'm getting treatment from have helped me strategise with my parents what we're going to do. It's really about making sure I'm in a supportive environment, planning thoroughly with my parents so nothing comes up completely unexpected and causes anxiety and challenging myself slowly but not all at once.

I will eat a mince pie though - that is my goal for Christmas despite it feeling like all kinds of wrong!
Reply 4991
Original post by Moonburp
Oh yes! Saying I have mixed feelings would be an understatement! Fortunately the clinic I'm getting treatment from have helped me strategise with my parents what we're going to do. It's really about making sure I'm in a supportive environment, planning thoroughly with my parents so nothing comes up completely unexpected and causes anxiety and challenging myself slowly but not all at once.

I will eat a mince pie though - that is my goal for Christmas despite it feeling like all kinds of wrong!

It's good that you've got the support set up at home, sure that'll be a great help. I hope christmas is a happy and peaceful time for you, and enjoy your mince pie! :smile: J x
I had my ED assessment today. it wasn't really an assessment, more a continuation of the treatment I started before I left for uni. I had to do a blood test, she put me on new meds and I need to persuade my mum to go to family therapy which should be... interesting. I'll put the next bit in a spoiler because of weight and intake discussion (no numbers) .

Spoiler

I had an incident a few days ago when my mum was trying to talk to me and I was trying to reply and found that I couldn't speak at all and I was mouthing like a goldfish and my poor mum got panicky and I eventually managed to whisper by taking a really deep breath. I told my psych that and she added a vitamin D check to my blood form. Does a vitamin D deficiency cause... that?
Can someone please tell me it's okay to eat? I know it sounds stupid but I just can't get past the fullness that makes it hard to eat, I'm not hungry and also, I feel like I don't deserve to eat and I don't want the guilt. I just forget that's it's not a bad thing to eat food. Because it FEELS so bad, I can't imagine it feeling good. I really need to eat more because I can't stay awake and I don't have a life and I'm anxious about everything and I want to go back to uni- if I get an offer- and do well and my brain is so slow and depleted right now, I can't think properly. She also said that after Xmas, when I see her next, she'll talk to me about refocusing which is basically their version of intensive outpatient treatment where you have to go in to have a meal in the hospital canteen, I hate being so ambivalent because really, there's nothing to be ambivalent about!
Sorry to go on but what do you need from a sponsor...I'm just asking in case I can help??? What does a sponsor give you? Money, support, information? Please let me know if you are able to

I really don't know. I think they just give us a brand more than anything! They're being slightly useless tbh. x
Reply 4994
I think what we all need to remember is that Christmas is the time for rejuvenation, for recharging, for indulgence, and if we are NOT partaking in the merriment, it's not EVERYONE ELSE that is wrong.

"How can he sit and eat a whole plate of mince pies?! That's disgusting."

No, it's not. It's Christmas.

"He's having seconds at Christmas Dinner. He must be binging."

No, he's having Christmas Dinner.

"You already had your dinner and now you're opening the Celebrations and a bottle of Baileys? It's Boxing Day!! Christmas is over, there's no excuse for your behaviour!"

No, everyone else is normal. These are eating disorder thoughts. Do you think Aunty Maude is fretting about whether or not to have sherry OR a Christmas cake because it will send her over some arbitrary daily number? Will Aunty Maude become clinically obese or bmi 14 critical underweight based on a single season of indulgence or restriction? No.

I'm not saying we should live our lives going NUTS, but this is the season where everyone - tiny tots, golden oldies, the jolly rotund and the rake-skeletons have fun and just FORGET about all that nonsense, they wear stupid jerseys and hug, and get drunk. Use this to be your "First celebration of the rest of your life", to put a date on "When I finally decided life wasn't worth the heartache" and decided to let loose, because 2013 would be the year you'd start to live a more human, not robotic, life!
Reply 4995
Hiya :smile:

Spoiler

but now back on the up. I am determined to overcome this, but it's scary, the world feels distant and unreal now.
Hoping I can get off the computer and talk to people IRL again because it seems lots of people are waiting for me to feel better by how many kenw it was my birthday yesterday, family and friends old and new, and I don't want to disappoint :smile:
Christmas will be interesting :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Yep GP is definitely worth trying and maybe the uni counselling service, Help can vary depending on yr location, where r u based?

She's contacted her old counsellor so I'm going to ask how it goes. My other housemate is on some crazy diet where he just drinks shakes for a few weeks and constantly talks about weight. She's always made comments about it but it's never really clicked until she told me. Manchester-based at uni.
Reply 4997
For anyone recovering from anorexia, I found this incredibly helpful and insightful. Made me feel less weird as I could relate to what happened to these people and it gave a scientific explanation for my behaviours.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hunger-artist/201011/starvation-study-shows-recovery-anorexia-is-possible-only-regaining-weight
Original post by TotoMimo
I think what we all need to remember is that Christmas is the time for rejuvenation, for recharging, for indulgence, and if we are NOT partaking in the merriment, it's not EVERYONE ELSE that is wrong.

"How can he sit and eat a whole plate of mince pies?! That's disgusting."

No, it's not. It's Christmas.

"He's having seconds at Christmas Dinner. He must be binging."

No, he's having Christmas Dinner.

"You already had your dinner and now you're opening the Celebrations and a bottle of Baileys? It's Boxing Day!! Christmas is over, there's no excuse for your behaviour!"

No, everyone else is normal. These are eating disorder thoughts. Do you think Aunty Maude is fretting about whether or not to have sherry OR a Christmas cake because it will send her over some arbitrary daily number? Will Aunty Maude become clinically obese or bmi 14 critical underweight based on a single season of indulgence or restriction? No.

I'm not saying we should live our lives going NUTS, but this is the season where everyone - tiny tots, golden oldies, the jolly rotund and the rake-skeletons have fun and just FORGET about all that nonsense, they wear stupid jerseys and hug, and get drunk. Use this to be your "First celebration of the rest of your life", to put a date on "When I finally decided life wasn't worth the heartache" and decided to let loose, because 2013 would be the year you'd start to live a more human, not robotic, life!

Toto, seriously dude, if this whole games designer thing doesnt work out, go into motivation speaker-y things, or hell, teaching.
I wish so badly I could walk into the kitchen, in front of everyone, and just have a meal. But it is so terrifying. The kitchen is never empty, and my anxiety is through the roof, and really not helping. I've lost 1.5 stone in a month and a bit, and I know it's just because I am terrified of letting them see me eat. I wish I was normal.

Quick Reply

Latest