The Student Room Group

Contestable market.

So I was doing an economic unit 3 question the other day and it was asking
'To what extent do you think this market is contestable?'
I struggled with this question, any idea how I can answer this question?
Reply 1
It is basically asking about the barriers to entry / exit.

Look at set-up costs, advertising by current firms, legal barriers, limit pricing and cost advantages in the given market.

Though the actual answer will depend on what market you are talking about...
Reply 2
Original post by dean01234
It is basically asking about the barriers to entry / exit.

Look at set-up costs, advertising by current firms, legal barriers, limit pricing and cost advantages in the given market.

Though the actual answer will depend on what market you are talking about...

Am I looking to see how close that market is to a perfect market?
Reply 3
Original post by dan94adibi
Am I looking to see how close that market is to a perfect market?

No, the theory of contestable markets is that the threat of competition will make monopolies / oligopolies behave as if there is some competition, in order to keep out potential competition.

A market is contestable if it is easy to enter ie a perfectly competitive market. However if there are lots of barriers to entry the market is not very contestable.

But I would recommend reading through some textbooks, tutor2u or even the mark scheme (only if you are really stuck, and only a quick glance... Don't write your essay from it)
Reply 4
Original post by dean01234
No, the theory of contestable markets is that the threat of competition will make monopolies / oligopolies behave as if there is some competition, in order to keep out potential competition.

A market is contestable if it is easy to enter ie a perfectly competitive market. However if there are lots of barriers to entry the market is not very contestable.

But I would recommend reading through some textbooks, tutor2u or even the mark scheme (only if you are really stuck, and only a quick glance... Don't write your essay from it)

Thanks for your help.
I'm 100% sure this will come up. I just want to prepared just incase if its in the data response question I choose.
Original post by dan94adibi

I'm 100% sure this will come up.

How do you know?
Reply 6
Original post by CoolStoryBroo
How do you know?

This is one of the examiners favourites. Its been there almost every year.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending