The Student Room Group

Entry for Medicine

Hi everyone,
I'm a year 11 student and am currently debating my A Levels choices. I would love to read medicine, and my choices for A Level at the moment are Chemistry, Human Biology, History, then either Math or Psychology.
I would prefer to study Psychology, but am not sure if Math would give me more chance of acceptance into university.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance,
Abbie

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AbbieState
Hi everyone,
I'm a year 11 student and am currently debating my A Levels choices. I would love to read medicine, and my choices for A Level at the moment are Chemistry, Human Biology, History, then either Math or Psychology.
I would prefer to study Psychology, but am not sure if Math would give me more chance of acceptance into university.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance,
Abbie

Neither. Take the subject you are most confident in scoring well in. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi,
im currently a year 13 student, my closest friends have applied to medicine and they did maths, chemistry, biology and psycology. My advice would be to check the prospectus of lots of different universities and see if they want any subjects in partcular. It's really important you do your research before hand. The best website is www.ucas.co.uk it has a list of all the universities and all the different courses. And also try to get lots of work experience, thats really important too.

I wish you all the best x
Chemistry and Biology is necessary. History is good because it gives you a contrasting subject (St George's, UCL, other medical schools like this). Maths is not necessary except for Oxbridge (which prefer 3 sciences or 3 out of maths/chem/bio/phys). Other universities don't really mind if you don't have 3 sciences. Just don't take any weak subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Either is fine.
Reply 5
Original post by TheNoobyPotato
Chemistry and Biology is necessary. History is good because it gives you a contrasting subject (St George's, UCL, other medical schools like this). Maths is not necessary except for Oxbridge (which prefer 3 sciences or 3 out of maths/chem/bio/phys). Other universities don't really mind if you don't have 3 sciences. Just don't take any weak subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where did you get that information? SGUL interview all who score above the UKCAT cutoff and who study bio and chem and have AAA predictions...

I only know of UCL who state the like a contrasting subject, have you got any other examples?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Pride
where did you get that information? SGUL interview all who score above the UKCAT cutoff and who study bio and chem and have AAA predictions...

I only know of UCL who state the like a contrasting subject, have you got any other examples?

Yeah, they interview above the UKCAT cut off and as long as you have the predictions/gcse grades.

I took a look for anything on their website about contrasting subjects. However, I went to a UCAS open day in London where you can talk to Universities and get prospectuses. I spoke to the St George's representative and I remember him telling me that Biology and Chemistry is necessary. But, St George's like a contrasting subject like History or English Literature. Not the most reliable proof but i'm sure that's what he said to me.

I don't know of other universities who like a contrasting subject, no.
Reply 7
Original post by AbbieState
my choices for A Level at the moment are Chemistry, Human Biology, History, then either Maths or Psychology.

You get to do Human Biology? Lucky bastard, I'd have done anything to study that rather then regular Biology!

Chemistry and Biology is necessary.

Not necessary, but it does allow you to apply to a larger pool of medical schools.

Maths is not necessary except for Oxbridge (which prefer 3 sciences or 3 out of maths/chem/bio/phys).

Partly true, as Cambridge request for three sciences/maths. However, Oxford only require two.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Vian
Not necessary, but it does allow you to apply to a larger pool of medical schools.

Yes, I knew that but it will definitely be better to take both to full A2 in order to not exclude yourself from any medical schools.

Partly true, as Cambridge request for three sciences/maths. However, Oxford doesn't.

I see, didn't know about Oxford!

:smile:
Reply 9
Yes, I knew that but it will definitely be better to take both to full A2 in order to not exclude yourself from any medical schools.

I was sure you did! I just think it's best to let people know that A-Level Biology isn't absolutely necessary, in order to hold back the inevitable "I dont hav bio can i still be a doctor?!!" thread!
Reply 10
Thanks very much everyone, I think I am going to go with psychology as I think I will be able to get a better grade, and I wasn't setting my sights as high as Oxbridge :wink:
Reply 11
I want to do medicine but at the moment am in year 12 and an doing psychology, maths, business and geography.. I know I need to do chemistry and biology but my school won't let me ....because i did btec science , what should I do? Help!!!! I really want to become a doctor..and I want to go UNi by 2014..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by alecia18
I want to do medicine but at the moment am in year 12 and an doing psychology, maths, business and geography.. I know I need to do chemistry and biology but my school won't let me ....because i did btec science , what should I do? Help!!!! I really want to become a doctor..and I want to go UNi by 2014..

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are foundation and access programs for applicants who do not have chemistry / biology at A level. Take a look at this wiki for more information: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Foundation_and_Widening_Access_to_Medicine_Programs

Posted from TSR Mobile

In your situation, I would complete my A Levels to the best of my ability then take a gap year and do your extra A-Levels part time. It's very unlikely you'd be able to cope with the workload of taking additional A Levels in your A2 year, especially not doing two full A Levels.. There will usually be a local college which runs evening classes. You can then volunteer in a care setting for the rest of the time, which would enhance your application.
Reply 14
Original post by Charlotte49
In your situation, I would complete my A Levels to the best of my ability then take a gap year and do your extra A-Levels part time. It's very unlikely you'd be able to cope with the workload of taking additional A Levels in your A2 year, especially not doing two full A Levels.. There will usually be a local college which runs evening classes. You can then volunteer in a care setting for the rest of the time, which would enhance your application.

Thanks so much for replying but even if I did the gap year and got A's in chemistry and biology do u think that my gcse grades will affect my chances ?
Reply 15
Thanks so much for replying but even if I did the gap year and got A's in chemistry and biology do u think that my gcse grades will affect my chances ?

it really depends on where you apply, have a look at what they're after, have a look through the TSR resources, like the applying to your strengths page. What you mustn't do is apply blindly, you just need one offer to study medicine.

edit: and I wouldn't take another year to do chem and bio, that's 3 years in total. Medical schools wouldn't accept that (I'm not aware of any exceptions). You have to either do it in 2 years, or apply to a medicine foundation course. You could also do a science degree and have a go at graduate entry medicine. All these routes are competitive, but I'm just showing you your options, do some research, and ask your teachers/careers advisor for advice too. Let them know your plans and get to know you, they'll probably be writing your reference too.
(edited 11 years ago)

I couldn't say as none of the schools I've been to have offered BTEC sciences, so it's not something I know much about. Your best bet might be to ring some universities and ask to speak to the admissions people and ask them what they would prefer someone in your situation to do. Obviously you've got to bear in mind that you will be competing for places against people who have A*'s in triple science at GCSE and will have sciences at A Level, and will also have lots of work experience and volunteering.

Medicine is a very science-y course so you need a good A-Level understanding to be able to cope with it. That's not to say that you won't find a way round it, but it's always worth having a backup.
I am in year 11 and I have ok Gcse prediction.i have decided I want to take biology chemistry for a level however I am puzzled on what else to take.
Original post by Mohamed2004
I am in year 11 and I have ok Gcse prediction.i have decided I want to take biology chemistry for a level however I am puzzled on what else to take.

You need very good GCSE's rather than 'ok'. For your A Level choices, you need to take things you enjoy and are good at. Many people will recommend Maths and Physics, but if you don't enjoy them, don't do it because they are very intense subjects. Some universities like you to take a contrasting subject to show you are a rounded person, such as English Literature or History. You should definitely stick to traditional subjects as much as possible.
Reply 19
Original post by Mohamed2004

The 3rd subject choice doesnt matter as long as you can make the AAA offer. Some universities require 4AS subjects so you should look into that as well. Take something you enjoy and are sure to achieve high grades in. :smile:

Original post by Charlotte49
You need very good GCSE's rather than 'ok'. For your A Level choices, you need to take things you enjoy and are good at.

Not true. Many medical schools place little or no emphasis on GCSEs. Most of them place more emphasis on A level predictions and other factors in the appliation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending