The Student Room Group

M2 Lamina and Hanging Problem

Hello, I have a quick question about hanging problems involving Laminas.
Generally I can do the question were I have find the angle between and edge and a vertical.
The only problem is, I find it hard to identify the correct angle they are asking for.
For example on Question 4 on this paper
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp-ms/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-JAN07.PDF

My teacher wasn't very helpful in explaining why it was the 63 degree angle and not the 27 degree one. I drew my triangle such that tan(x)=0.5

thanks
"find the angle between the edge AB and the vertical" - doesn't this explain it!? You have to make sure you've drawn the diagram right I guess...
EDIT: oh, I see why you're confused, the line AB goes through the pivot point. Ummm... just make it clear in your answer which angle you have calculated, for example by drawing a diagram. It wouldn't hurt to calculate the other angle too, just in case.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I struggle to see the problem too as it seems clear in the question

Can you post your diagram
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem

Okay, give me a sec.
Reply 4

here you go, so the question is why the angle labelled phi and not the one theta. As far as I can see they are both vertical. At this point im not even sure i know what the phrase means :mad:
thanks
Reply 5
Original post by dragonkeeper999
"find the angle between the edge AB and the vertical" - doesn't this explain it!? You have to make sure you've drawn the diagram right I guess...
EDIT: oh, I see why you're confused, the line AB goes through the pivot point. Ummm... just make it clear in your answer which angle you have calculated, for example by drawing a diagram. It wouldn't hurt to calculate the other angle too, just in case.

if I have both angles and write I dont know what exactly the question is asking for in terms of the angle (which vertical exactly xD). Would they mark both answers?
Reply 6
Original post by jarasta
here you go, so the question is why the angle labelled phi and not the one theta. As far as I can see they are both vertical. At this point im not even sure i know what the phrase means :mad:
thanks

Ah

A complete lack of understanding

The point of the CoM is that it will be directly below the point of suspension

So the line from x through the CoM is vertical
Reply 7
Original post by jarasta
if I have both angles and write I dont know what exactly the question is asking for in terms of the angle (which vertical exactly xD). Would they mark both answers?

No
Reply 8
Ah

A complete lack of understanding

The point of the CoM is that it will be directly below the point of suspension

So the line from x through the CoM is vertical

Aaaahhh thats what the vertical is! This is news to me, good news. Yeah that makes perfect sense now :biggrin:, Thank you, :').
Another question, whilst you are here.
When it asks, the angle between AB and the horizontal, which side do you take to be the horizontal. In either question 4 on this paper (http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-MM2B-W-QP-JAN11.PDF) or the question i've already posted
Reply 9
Does not matter angle is the same
Reply 10
Does not matter angle is the same

aaah thank you for very much. :biggrin: I cant thank you enough
Original post by jarasta
aaah thank you for very much. :biggrin: I cant thank you enough

Np

Quick Reply

Latest