The Student Room Group

Base Strength

When talking about base strength I thought you had to look at the stability of the conjugate acid.
However now I keep finding questions where it depends on availability of lone pairs? e.g with resonance the conjugate acid is more stable however the lone pairs in the original structure are less available so act as a base. So with resonance it could be strong or weak?

So basically what im trying to ask is does base strength depends on the availability of lone pairs or the stability of the conjugate acid?
Original post by sarah170194
When talking about base strength I thought you had to look at the stability of the conjugate acid.
However now I keep finding questions where it depends on availability of lone pairs? e.g with resonance the conjugate acid is more stable however the lone pairs in the original structure are less available so act as a base. So with resonance it could be strong or weak?

So basically what im trying to ask is does base strength depends on the availability of lone pairs or the stability of the conjugate acid?

both.

few things in chemistry depend only on one factor :sadnod:
Reply 2
so how do you decide if its a stronger base as it has resonance (so conjugate base more stable) or weaker because of resonance(long pair less available)?
Original post by sarah170194
so how do you decide if its a stronger base as it has resonance (so conjugate base more stable) or weaker because of resonance(long pair less available)?

I'm afraid there is no definitive answer to how you do that. There are aspects of chemistry that just require a bit of experience to figure out. Even then it's not always obvious which factor "wins" I'm afraid.

Care to post a few examples so I and my learned colleagues can hone our instincts?

Quick Reply

Latest