The Student Room Group

Oxford medical applicants 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by ogioh
Yes, I know.
However, if I did exceptionally well in the BMAT then I could still get an interview.

I was mainly concerned about how the B will look.

Have a look at this page http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics. Your percentage A* is 54% so in my opinion not good for Oxford but good for medicine.

You will have 4 shots at it so use your choices wisely. Your aim is to get as many interviews as possible so look for medical schools who interview applicants with your profile. Then do well at the interview.
Original post by ogioh
Thanks. It seems if everything else is perfect (highly unlikely) it is still possible though.

However, at the minute I'm currently in the process of deciding between Medicine and Psychology (leaning much more towards Psychology), you know the whole Psychiatrist vs Psychologist thing, so I'm really only making sure I know as much as possible about applications to both subjects.

Would you happen to know off-hand if the pA* at GCSE is such a discriminatory factor for the other subjects at Oxford? Or even if Cambridge use the same pA* system for Medicine?

Cambridge focus on the AS UMS marks, not so much on GCSEs, if your aim for above 90% in all exams at AS you have a good shot at Cambridge! All I know if Oxford focus a lot on GCSEs for selection for interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 302
I miss this thread :frown:
Original post by ogioh

Would you happen to know off-hand if the pA* at GCSE is such a discriminatory factor for the other subjects at Oxford?

They are so important for medicine as its one of the most applied-to subjects, increasing application to interview ratios and the need for pre-interview selection. The fact that experimental psychology has half as many applicants per place means GCSEs will be less important. I'd imagine they are still used though.

Also, if you are interested in clinical psychology, I'd consider whether experimental psychology is right for you. I know next to nothing about psychology, but that strikes me as quite an important distinction.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 304
Original post by nexttime

Also, if you are interested in clinical psychology, you should really think whether experimental psychology is for you. I know next to nothing about psychology, but that strikes me as quite an important distinction.

Clinical psychologists still have to know how to do research (it forms part of the doctoral program), so experimental psychology still applies - clin psych courses are ridiculously competitive to get into though.
Original post by bectabex
Clinical psychologists still have to know how to do research (it forms part of the doctoral program), so experimental psychology still applies - clin psych courses are ridiculously competitive to get into though.

Fair enough. Although 'doctoral program' - all the psychologists i've met have not had the title 'doctor'. Is there a difference between being a psychologist that does clinical work and what you are referring to?
Reply 306
Fair enough. Although 'doctoral program' - all the psychologists i've met have not had the title 'doctor'. Is there a difference between being a psychologist that does clinical work and what you are referring to?

Yup if you want to be a clinical psychologist you have to do the course, it's DClinPsy I think - but there are plenty of other professions within psychology that don't need that qualification
Reply 307
The stats on tsr are interesting I did some analysis by importing data into DB and it looks like I will most probably get a rejection. Here is a table showing number of A levels offered by applicants.

A Levels
Applicants
No Interview
Interview
Offer

For all future applicants the answer is yes having 4 A-levels is an advantage.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 308
Original post by itsaboy
The stats on tsr are interesting I did some analysis by importing data into DB and it looks like I will most probably get a rejection. Here is a table showing number of A levels offered by applicants.

A Levels
Applicants
No Interview
Interview
Offer

For all future applicants the answer is yes having 4 A-levels is an advantage.
thanks for the stats, from the table although As may play some part in getting an interview, but not too much on receiving an offer. And the total number of interview is less than 425?
Reply 309
Original post by Danshu321
thanks for the stats, from the table although As may play some part in getting an interview, but not too much on receiving an offer. And the total number of interview is less than 425?

Some applicants offer IB and other things.
Reply 310
I checked this more than once and the Oxford medicine stats website might be incorrect on BMAT statistics.

The Average BMAT for those not interviewed was 55%.

The average BMAT for all applicants was 59.1% and not 55% (as stated on Oxford website).

The average BMAT interviewed was 69% and not 66% (as stated on Oxford website).

The average BMAT for those with offers was 71.1% and not 68% (as stated on Oxford website).

Can someone please double check before I email Admissions. Not sure what the implications are for future applicants.
Original post by itsaboy
I checked this more than once and the Oxford medicine stats website might be incorrect on BMAT statistics.

The Average BMAT for those not interviewed was 55%.

The average BMAT for all applicants was 59.1% and not 55% (as stated on Oxford website).

The average BMAT interviewed was 69% and not 66% (as stated on Oxford website).

The average BMAT for those with offers was 71.1% and not 68% (as stated on Oxford website).

Can someone please double check before I email Admissions. Not sure what the implications are for future applicants.

I can't do it myself cause I don't know what statistics you're using but are both sets of data definitely from the same year?
Reply 312
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
I can't do it myself cause I don't know what statistics you're using but are both sets of data definitely from the same year?

Data is from foi and looks fine (19th Dec 2012). http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti_32#incoming-343298

But what are you comparing it to?
Reply 314

Did you work out the BMAT percentage based on the marks on the above website? Would the difference be due to the formula you used? How did you work the percentage out?
Reply 316
Original post by Danshu321
Did you work out the BMAT percentage based on the marks on the above website? Would the difference be due to the formula you used? How did you work the percentage out?

avg(((S1+S2)/18*80)
+(S
3/5*2/3*20)
+(
trans(S3_ENGLISH,'A',5,'B',4,'C',3,'D',2,'E',1,0)/5*20/3
))

S1 - S3 are the sections.
S3_ENGLISH is A to E
Original post by itsaboy
avg(((S1+S2)/18*80)
+(S
3/5*2/3*20)
+(
trans(S3_ENGLISH,'A',5,'B',4,'C',3,'D',2,'E',1,0)/5*20/3
))

S1 - S3 are the sections.
S3_ENGLISH is A to E

Its possible they consider the maximum mark to be 16 instead of 18 S1+2 (based on the minimum score being 1.0 not 0.0). If you plug that in (and subtract 2 from the score), does that make a difference?

Although i do note that your figures for applicants come up the same, its just the other categories. Odd.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 318
Its possible they consider the maximum mark to be 16 instead of 18 S1+2 (based on the minimum score being 1.0 not 0.0). If you plug that in (and subtract 1 from the score), does that make a difference?

Although i do note that your figures for applicants come up the same, its just the other categories. Odd.

Itsaboy's figurse are already higher than the official ones, if divide 16 instead of 18 then it even be higher. or I got it wrong?
Reply 319
Its possible they consider the maximum mark to be 16 instead of 18 S1+2 (based on the minimum score being 1.0 not 0.0). If you plug that in (and subtract 1 from the score), does that make a difference?

hang on...I got it wrong..if your figure is X=(A-2)/16 and itsabpy's is Y=A/18, then X-Y=(A-18)/144, because A is <=18, therefor X-Y is negative, means the percentage should be smaller. mmmm...This is like a BMAT question, have I got it right this time? and I lost 3% using this 16 method :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending