The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Anyone overcome a binge eating disorder?

I've had a binge eating disorder for many years now, it was the main contributor to my obesity and my weight rocketed to 18.5st this year in March. However from May to September I overcame this disorder and dropped my weight to 13.5st. However, this probably had something to do with my life looking up so I didn't exactly have bad/depressing feelings for a while. I guess I just hid the underlying issue for several months. However, now my life is getting tough again and my binge eating is recurring. From September to the beginning of this month, the pattern was have a solid healthy calorie-controlled diet from Monday to Thursday and then I would binge on Friday evening and over the weekend as well. However it has gotten worse now. I have been binge eating for the last 8-9 days consecutively now and I'm already having nightmares about returning to my former obese self. I'm only under a stone away from my target and I don't want to spoil my hard work.

Does anyone have any advice? :smile:
Anyone here had experience with friends/close others also having eating disorders? Spoilering just in case....... (I need advice though!)

Spoiler

I don't want to get any worse. I do have a counsellor but I haven't mentioned anything about my past ed to her yet, I'm worried she'll laugh at me because I'm not underweight or because she doesn't believe me.
Reply 5082
The holidays are ridiculously difficult for ED sufferers. In some ways they are our salvation, in others, our downfall.

The truth is, nobody cares about what or how much they eat until Christmas. The fact they do... That puts us on level pegging! We feel normal again! And when our peers start regressing into normality again, we should simply copy them. Ask to copy. ASK.

Your sis, your pals, whatever. What they eat, you eat. And you return to the real world. You'd be surprised how fine (and oddly flattered) people are to have their behaviour copied!

It's twofold. You have a totally rigid mimic schedule, and also, you are never alone with the ED.
Reply 5083
your story is really inspiring...
Reply 5084
Sorry everything I say on here is so negative, but I have a bit of a problem.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5085
Hope everyone's had a nice Christmas or at least got some rest and fun somewhere in the last few weeks? :hugs:

Mine's been a little strange, coming out of one of the worst months of my life thanks to meds kicking in and a brilliant psychologist and having an alright few days with family-and a truly yummy few days for the first time in 2 years :biggrin:
It was even stranger for asking my friend out after we'd been on a day out together, but we're staying good friends which considering where she and I both are at the moment, might be for the best.

Something's still bugging me though which I need a little help with because I don't know if it's coming from a healthy place.

Spoiler

x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5086
Riku, if you want something and eat it, that is normal.
If you do not want something and do not eat it, that is normal.

But to really want something but still refuse it despite wanting to eat it, that is worth questioning. Same deal if you don't truly want it but find yourself eating it regardless.

Sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not; food is just that simple.

Hungry, or want to treat the body, eat!
Not hungry, dislike the specific treat? Turn it down. Normal!!
Reply 5087
I dont know what to do.

Spoiler

I just cant deal with it anymore and I dont want to start cutting again .. i already have too many scars :'(
Reply 5088
Original post by TotoMimo
Riku, if you want something and eat it, that is normal.
If you do not want something and do not eat it, that is normal.

But to really want something but still refuse it despite wanting to eat it, that is worth questioning. Same deal if you don't truly want it but find yourself eating it regardless.

Sounds like I'm being sarcastic but I'm not; food is just that simple.

Hungry, or want to treat the body, eat!
Not hungry, dislike the specific treat? Turn it down. Normal!!

Thanks for the reply, Toto. I'm finding myself feeling obliged to eat far more than I'd like just to please my parents and convince them I'm not going to go back to old ways, but it's horribly backfiring and holding me back :frown: They haven't said anything of the sort but it's this continuing niggling worry that's putting me in a bad mood around Mum and I want to find a way for us to both be happy, without sacrificing what we both want.
It's not just food. I've never really liked to rock the boat, because when I do I usually end up causing it to capsize and sink like it's the next Titanic...

edit: managed to rock the boat and sail us an easier course for all :P had a rewarding heart-to-heart with family yesterday which has brought us all closer together.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5089
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year! :biggrin:
Let's gain the most we can from this year, eh? Life's too short and precious to lose :smile:

Haven't been this happy in a while!
Original post by Riku
I'm finding myself feeling obliged to eat far more than I'd like just to please my parents and convince them I'm not going to go back to old ways

THIS. Precisely what is happening with me at the moment. I've lost weight in the past couple of months because there's something medically wrong (the docs are on it, doing blood test etc)...but my parents are pretty much making me eat more because they're scared I'm going back to my 'old ways'. I know they're only looking out for me though. I know that if I was feeling like a relapse, I would just tell them.

Also, does anyone else get irrational BDD? I seem to still get it but I've now resigned myself to nature and am facing the fact that this is how my figure is etc. I just hate the annoying thoughts

Spoiler

How do you combat it? It's doing my nut in! x
Reply 5091
The festive season is truly bipolar (and that wasn't intended as a pun... cough). To "normies", it's a chance to TOTALLY forget about their waistline and go hell for leather, but to eating disorder sufferers, it becomes tenfold-level of anxiety.

The truth is, it magnifies the person's own inhibitions or lack thereof. So if you're personally insecure, you freak out exponentially by the thought of Christmas feasts etc, whereas a confident person will eat an entire horse stuffed with a goat inside a bungalow-sized roast potato and hardly blink.

What we have to remember, regardless, is that this is the UNIVERSAL TIME OF CELEBRATION. To celebrate giving, family, a brand new year, and new beginnings. But it shouldn't just be about "the season". It should be the start of a new frame of mind... PERMANENTLY.
Reply 5092
Hey guys,

Just thought I'd 'pop in' and say hello since I used to use this thread and found an immense level of support here.

I hope everyone had a peaceful christmas and positive start to the new year, sending :hugs: to anyone who is struggling, and feeling incredibly proud of everyone who has been kicking their ED's ass over the festive period.

Despite it being a typically tough time of year for me, I have been able to enjoy the holidays more than I have enjoyed them in years. I have had a lot of support from friends and family and this has really helped.

I have also signed up for a half marathon later in the year which a few people have raised their eyebrows about because apparently 'someone with an eating disorder is bound to relapse if they exercise..' but I'm doing it for a few charities which mean a lot to me and I know this will be great motivation to keep moving forward healthily! In fact one of my charities is Beat who are incredible and who I would recommend to anyone who is having a tough time right now.

Anyway, enough waffling from me, I just wanted to share a little positivity. Don't get me wrong, I'm still far from 100% but I have my goals and I'm getting there slowly.. baby steps peeps :smile:

All the best to each and every one of you!

J x
Reply 5093
Original post by Riku
Wishing everyone a Happy New Year! :biggrin:
Let's gain the most we can from this year, eh? Life's too short and precious to lose :smile:

Haven't been this happy in a while!

^ LOVE this!!
Best thing I've read in a while :smile:
Hope this positive attitude sticks with you throughout the year!
All the best, J x
Hi there :smile:

I'm new to the thread and was looking for some help/opinions about telling my boyfriend about my food issues...

Spoiler

Anyone got any advice on the urge to control everyone else around you? :redface:

I can not get it out of my head that my BF needs to lose weight (he's overweight, and has expressed that he wants to get back to a healthy weight before, so it's not completely unfounded) and I seem to be getting at him about it quite a lot, which is horrible for him and pushing us apart. On the flip side, if he tells me that he hasn't eaten lunch or doesn't feel hungry enough for a proper dinner, I get very upset and insist that he has something decent. All the time it's a constant tug of war between me telling him that he needs to exercise and cut down on the ****ty food he eats and me telling him that he has to eat something. :colondollar: It's starting to seriously affect 'us' as he's getting annoyed now. :frown:
I have a question from a different perspective.

I'm really worried about one of my friends. She's lost so much weight over the past year - to begin with, we all thought she looked great, but the weight loss didn't stop, and she is at the point of looking literally skeletal. She always tweets things like "I look like a whale, I'm so fat"... it's really disconcerting that she apparently can't see what she's doing to herself. I've talked to a few other friends about this, and since it's so obvious, we all suspect she does have anorexia. I'm personally not close enough a friend to feel comfortable talking to her about it, but one of her best friends told me she gets all defensive even when she just asks "Are you feeling alright?" We don't know what to do. We want to help, but don't know how, and it seems like she won't let us help. To any eating disorder sufferers: what do you want your friends to do? Is there anything we can do? :frown:

Original post by 05autyt
I dont know what to do.

Spoiler

I just cant deal with it anymore and I dont want to start cutting again .. i already have too many scars :'(

Sorry to sound blunt, but could you get some nicer, more considerate friends? If they know you are struggling, it's so thoughtless and immature of them to say stuff like that :confused:
Reply 5097
Original post by Anonymous
I have a question from a different perspective.

I'm really worried about one of my friends. She's lost so much weight over the past year - to begin with, we all thought she looked great, but the weight loss didn't stop, and she is at the point of looking literally skeletal. She always tweets things like "I look like a whale, I'm so fat"... it's really disconcerting that she apparently can't see what she's doing to herself. I've talked to a few other friends about this, and since it's so obvious, we all suspect she does have anorexia. I'm personally not close enough a friend to feel comfortable talking to her about it, but one of her best friends told me she gets all defensive even when she just asks "Are you feeling alright?" We don't know what to do. We want to help, but don't know how, and it seems like she won't let us help. To any eating disorder sufferers: what do you want your friends to do? Is there anything we can do? :frown:

Sorry to sound blunt, but could you get some nicer, more considerate friends? If they know you are struggling, it's so thoughtless and immature of them to say stuff like that :confused:

No ones speaking to me anymore anyway :frown: they just think I'm being stubborn :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there :smile:

Okay, you should tell him. Just do it in a quiet place and tell him. No one expects you to keep soldiering on. You need support and certainly at uni; your boyfriend can provide it. He won't judge you badly or change how he treats you -- you've been together for a while because he cares about you. People are a lot more understanding about these things than we think :smile: x
Reply 5099
Sorry everything that I have contributed to this thread is so negative at the moment, but I just feel so negative at the moment. Quite a strong post, and I don't mean to offend anyone with saying I'm sort of wanting hospitalisation, I just feel I need help to cope at the moment :frown:

Spoiler

All the best everyone.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest