The Student Room Group

Charge for calling 999

Ok, just heard this on the news that a tayside police officer has called for a 50p charge for calling 999 to eliminate time-wasters.

What's your views?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megm217
Ok, just heard this on the news that a tayside police officer has called for a 50p charge for calling 999 to eliminate time-wasters.

What's your views?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're screwed if you have no credit then.
Reply 2
That will NEVER happen.
Reply 3
Exactly I wonder if they would reverse the call :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Such a stupid idea that will never happen
Reply 5
this just would defeat the purpose of an emergency call. And there are already ways to deter prank callers.
Reply 6
If you're stupid enough to make a hoax call you're probably stupid enough to waste 50p for it. Pointless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by warfarin
this just would defeat the purpose of an emergency call. And there are already ways to deter prank callers.

How may I ask? I read that on new years day alone there were over 1700 inappropriate calls, with only 500 genuine calls, so clearly whatever it is isn't acting as a deterrent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Polly1101
How may I ask? I read that on new years day alone there were over 1700 inappropriate calls, with only 500 genuine calls, so clearly whatever it is isn't acting as a deterrent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your number is recorded and you may be prosecuted if you abuse 999. I think they are quite lenient at the moment though and only take action against repeat offenders.
Reply 9
I imagine most people who do this are using a public phone box, not a phone they own. I know those can be traced back but by the time the police come round the caller is gone.
Original post by Megm217

What's your views?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its stupid. It would result in people dying/suffering because they didn't have phone credit. Heavy penalties such as a few months in jail or a few hundred hours of community service would be harsh enough penalties to stop time-wasting calls I think.
Original post by Megm217

What's your views?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously a moronic idea. What if a person is trying to call from a payphone in an emergency and doesn't have any change?
Im always amazing it is so hard to find even a minimum wage job when people coming up with ludicrous policy suggestions like this have so much influence and power and yet seem entirely moronic and incompetent. It will just never happen.
Reply 13
If the charge is somehow applied afterwards, seems fine to me. But I don't see how it would work if you need the credit to make the call in the first place.
Reply 14
Stupid idea if you ask me. What if your life or someone elses is in danger and you need to phone and Ambulance and you have no credit?
Reply 15
Why is everyone talking about credit? Wouldn't they just charge you afterwards, just like on a landline, or if you've got a mobile on contract??
I don't think it would work though, I think the cost of setting this up would outweigh the benefits, and in this day and age, cost counts for a lot...
It's already illegal to hoax call 999, I don't think charging people 50p is likely to deter them further.
Reply 17
Original post by Y333EEE
Stupid idea if you ask me. What if your life or someone elses is in danger and you need to phone and Ambulance and you have no credit?

Well it wouldn't be a time wasting call so you wouldn't be charged. Did you even read the OP?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S
Original post by Nice.Guy
Why is everyone talking about credit? Wouldn't they just charge you afterwards, just like on a landline, or if you've got a mobile on contract??

Some people are still on pay as you go.
lol like 50p would deter time wasters???
the risk of criminal record doesn't stop them, why a measly 50p?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending