The Student Room Group

Do you think it's sad to go to the cinema alone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iknowi2
no idea, it probably is but everyone still does it. If we go to Hell, we go to Hell together!

just kidding, I'm not even Muslim anymore :smile:.

LOL I live in Dubai and during Ramadan the cinemas were doing this promotion "watch 270 movies this month for a special price!". Haha!

Oh, and to answer the OP: I watched The Three Musketeers by myself (it was my first time going alone) and I have to say it's bloody brilliant not having anyone nudging me and asking what was going on every 5 minutes (*cough* my sister, I usually go with her).
(edited 11 years ago)
I will usually ask friends if they want to come before I go alone, but if nobody wants to come then I certainly won't miss out on a film I want to see. My boyfriend will usually come with me, so it's only on the very rare occasion that he's busy all week or something that I have to go alone.

I found it a bit odd the first time, and felt like people were staring at me, but then I realised that nobody would actually care, and then I managed to relax.
Original post by Leicester
I've never been but always wondered because my mates never want to go but I do! So if anyone's around in Leicester wanting to see life of pie 3D and is on orange I will happily join up with you to get half price :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im from leicester :smile: Im a male btw
No it's not sad to go on your own. Although people might think your a bit odd if you're on your own watching a movie intended for young children.
No! not at all.... in fact, you can enjoy the movie experience without friends sniggering in your ear. I love going on my own too :smile:
Original post by medbh4805
How on earth is this sad? it's sadder to stay in and not get to see a film you want to see cause none of your friends want to go with you and you don't want to be seen out on your own ffs

Supreme post.
Reply 66
This is perfect.
I was actually wondering how many people go to the cinema alone and such and why people felt it was strange. Glad I stumbled across this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Double post, sorry. Please delete this.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'd rather go with friends but I wouldn't have a problem going alone if I wanted to see something nobody else did :smile:
I often wonder why people feel the need to go with others when it's not exactly a social event - where did this idea come from?

I go alone all the time, in fact I greatly enjoy the weekly ritual as not only do I enjoy the film, but also the walk as I go at night and when I come out it is often near midnight and the town centre is completely empty. It's so serene and pleasant.
Reply 70
Okay so I blog and one thing we, my cowriter, have put a point on is that...

Isn't part of the cinema experience and going with friends because you are excited to see the film? And potentially you want to talk about it after about how much you liked it or not?

What do you, the solo cinema go'ers, after a movie? Do you tweet about it? Sit and nod at the appreciation of the film or do you go and tell you're friends to see it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cll_ws
I'm in the same situation, with the same film. Although it's more so because all my friends have gone back to university, whilst i'm on a gap year, I know that a lot of them do actually want to see it.

I don't think it's sad to go alone at all, but whilst I say that, i'm also hesitant to go alone myself and have never done it. I might try it, I really want to see Django Unchained.

Definitely do so. Its awesome, probably even more with the cinematic experience than just watching it on the laptop...though seriously its among Tarantino's better films so I'd definitely recommend it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is just one of those things that morons have been led into believing by stupid as **** cultural standards.

If you go to the cinema to talk to people you're a ****ing idiot.
Reply 73
Original post by concubine
This is just one of those things that morons have been led into believing by stupid as **** cultural standards.

If you go to the cinema to talk to people you're a ****ing idiot.

There is some truth to it though, generally people like to talk about what film they've seen (same goes for TV shows and books). I suppose it's up to the internet generation to put it right.
Only done it a few times. The last time I went was to see Skyfall on my day off work at 1pm on a Friday and all my friends were either at work or at uni.
Reply 75
I'm all bout dat cinema and i've done it like 3 times. There's this horrible stigma attached to it but **** it man it was mad peaceful and i enjoy my time alone. Been to gigs on my own too and always enjoyed it.

The problem is people view seeing a film/band as a social event rather than what it really is in my eyes; a chance to go appreciate something you're really into.
Reply 76
I used to think it was sad ... now I just think its plain expensive :tongue:
Reply 77
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
I went to watch a German movie on my own, simply because none of my friends understand any German. I was the only person in the showing :biggrin:

Hmmm. Where to sit i wonder.. :holmes:
Reply 78
Reply 79
Original post by Monstar111
Okay so I blog and one thing we, my cowriter, have put a point on is that...

Isn't part of the cinema experience and going with friends because you are excited to see the film? And potentially you want to talk about it after about how much you liked it or not?

What do you, the solo cinema go'ers, after a movie? Do you tweet about it? Sit and nod at the appreciation of the film or do you go and tell you're friends to see it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heres me thinking people go watch a movie cause theyre excited about the production itself. I must be getting old.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest