The Student Room Group

AQA AS LitB1 - GREAT GATSBY

The section a part a question for The Great Gatsby is always along the lines of 'How does Fitzgerald tell the story in chapter X?' What chapter do you think is coming up this year? Someone told me they reckon it will be 6 because it has never come up before - is that true?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Chapter 6 and 7 both have not come up so it could be any....
What other textare you studying??
6 is the only chapter that hasn't come up! 7 was june 2012!
Reply 3
Anyone have any predictions of what the section B questions are going to be on?
I have a feeling beginnings is going to come up because it hasnt come up so far...
Any other suggestions will be great :smile:
Reply 4
I'm really struggling with answering the Section A part a) question. I'm studying the Great Gatsby for this, and I keep on getting marked around 14/21, and my teacher isn't being helpful since she's constantly off ill and I haven't had any real advice from her lately. The question is always 'How does Fitzgerald tell the story in chapter X?' and I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I'm talking about setting, language, narrative, structure etc, and then explaining what effect this has on the reader and why. Is this the right thing to be doing? If anyone who has done the exam already and did well could post here so I could PM them one of my Gatsby responses for some feedback? Thank you, I am really desperate for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
place or voices would be good :smile: time also :smile:
Places won't come up as it's already been asked twice since 2009 :/
I think setting may be asked, though. I'm hoping for titles.
Reply 7
Is it right if I talk about literary devices i.e similies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a feeling that choosing Chapter Six for Gatsby will be too obvious, so I think they might choose three or eight, as they haven't been asked for a long time!

Also they probably wouldn't choose voices for part be, because a question on speech was asked in June! :smile:
Original post by JodieW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, you should talk about literary devices, because you're being marked for AO2!
Try to cover narrative perspective, setting, form, structure and language in your answer. You don't need to dedicate a whole paragraph to each. I usually write an introduction where I give a brief overview of what occurs in the chapter, then a paragraph on narrative voice, a paragraph on language and a paragraph on setting, ensuring I make structure and form points within those paragraphs. :smile:
Original post by JodieW

Posted from TSR Mobile

14/21 is decent but the way to improve is to explore meaning - so try to interpret alternative ways of how a literary device shapes meaning. I know that's technically AO3 but I never thought of the learning objectives as that rigid.

That's what I used to do and I did fairly well, so perhaps give it a go?
Reply 11
Original post by SophieGloria
I have a feeling that choosing Chapter Six for Gatsby will be too obvious, so I think they might choose three or eight, as they haven't been asked for a long time!

Also they probably wouldn't choose voices for part be, because a question on speech was asked in June! :smile:

I hope they do Chapter Six though, fingers crossed :biggrin: Chapter Three or Eight wouldn't be bad though.
Reply 12
Original post by fallenangel
14/21 is decent but the way to improve is to explore meaning - so try to interpret alternative ways of how a literary device shapes meaning. I know that's technically AO3 but I never thought of the learning objectives as that rigid.

That's what I used to do and I did fairly well, so perhaps give it a go?

Apparently I'm hitting AO3 really well, I just need to focus on AO4 and explicitly naming the literary techniques I think. Thanks!
Reply 13
Original post by JodieW
I'm really struggling with answering the Section A part a) question. I'm studying the Great Gatsby for this, and I keep on getting marked around 14/21, and my teacher isn't being helpful since she's constantly off ill and I haven't had any real advice from her lately. The question is always 'How does Fitzgerald tell the story in chapter X?' and I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I'm talking about setting, language, narrative, structure etc, and then explaining what effect this has on the reader and why. Is this the right thing to be doing? If anyone who has done the exam already and did well could post here so I could PM them one of my Gatsby responses for some feedback? Thank you, I am really desperate for help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same, the highest I can get is 16!! I'm doing Enduring Love and The Road though, but the generic answer is speaking about the writers techniques, focus on them and refer back to the question, donbt get too caught up in telling the story.
Good luck everyone! Fair to say that I'm ****ting myself! I may have to resit again in summer -_- pray for chapter 6, if not I think it could be 3 or 8 as well :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by MusicalEmma
Good luck everyone! Fair to say that I'm ****ting myself! I may have to resit again in summer -_- pray for chapter 6, if not I think it could be 3 or 8 as well :smile:

Good luck to you :biggrin: Same, I hope chapter 6 will come up, preferably maybe 3 or 7 as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I am hoping to do poetry (Auden of Rossetti) for section A...
Does anyone else struggle on section B
i dont seem to get more than 20 marks on it i know i need to add more analysis but how i just seem to run out of ideas
HELP ANY ADVICE???
Reply 17
Original post by *Aishah*
I am hoping to do poetry (Auden of Rossetti) for section A...
Does anyone else struggle on section B
i dont seem to get more than 20 marks on it i know i need to add more analysis but how i just seem to run out of ideas
HELP ANY ADVICE???

Here's a piece of advice I've just copied from a post I printed out in another forum a long while ago, I hope it's useful to you!

Focus on talking in this answer about things like imagery, symbolism, themes, structure, form, language, contrast, any foreshadowing, juxtaposition, use of narrator and these different aspects of narrative and literary devices in your answer. Talk about how these narrative methods shape meanings, add significance to the text, why they may have been used, what the reader thinks as a result of them and the like.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can someone break this question down please, im abit confused. "how far do you agree that the rime of the ancient mariner is a condemnation of exploration and discovery? What is it asking?
Reply 19
Original post by onetwothree4
Hi can someone break this question down please, im abit confused. "how far do you agree that the rime of the ancient mariner is a condemnation of exploration and discovery? What is it asking?

I haven't read that one, but basically to condemn means disapproval of something, to disagree with, look down on etc. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending