The Student Room Group

[AQA] - Economics Unit 1 January 15th - [2013]

Scroll to see replies

It seems like I did this exam ages ago... the memories aren't especially great >.<
Original post by A193
i am really worried about this exam, i only managed to get 17-19 in the otqs so could you please tell me how many marks i should get for the long answers:

5 mark:
Marginal private cost is the extra unit of costs added that are associated with negative externalities. They are additional costs to the original.

8 mark:
Extract do illustrates that the price percentage change for sugars increased throughout the timeperiod with the exception of 2004 and 2005. Conversely the percentage change of fruits decreasedfrom the start 7.8 percent to 3.5in 2010.

Additionally the price change of sugars was more constant And less volatile, the greatest gap between two years was 4.5 percent. However the price change of fruits were more volatile, fluctuating more frequently,reaching its highest 8.5 to -2 in a space of two years. This is probably due to the fact that it is a commodity.

12 mark:
Supply for processed food shifts out, due to a subsidy.I drew the graph shifting out and lowering the price. Is said that this impacts demand for junk food as soya beans rice etc are healthier substituesbto to junk food, and by subsidising prices for healthier food decrease, incentivsing consumers of the decrease in p ice, hence demand for junk food decrease and raises its priceeven further. I also defined demand and supply.

For the 5 mark definitions dont you think I shall get an extra mark for identifying that MPC is associated with negative externalities
Btw for the8 mark, I told you as if I was trawling through the data, in fact I calculated percentage changes and compared, I think I should recieve at least 6/8. Maybe even 8/8 as I wrote entire pave on it

For the 12 marker, I know that I received 4 marks for the graph and plotting coordinates (p1 q1). I also defined demand and supply, plus mentioned how a subsidy affects prices.

The 25 mark essay was very rushed at the end but I managed to evaluate as i went along.

Intro: identified the problem, junk foods are demerits goods over consumed if left to them drew negative equity externalities graph. Defined, government intervention, merit and demerits goods, and the fact that demerits goods lead to information failure.

Mb1:
Referred to extract from, that France Hungary and Denmark tax junk food. Govts can tax junk food,and subsidise healthy food to increase demand.
Tax shifts supply in, and subsidy shifts supply out - drew two diagramsshoing this.

However, junk foods are regarded as a 'necessity' and lack alternatives - inelastic demand, so tax has little effect on demand.. Decreasing prices by subsidising healthy food provide incentives to consumers that the process decreased encourgingthem to consume to good rather than junk food -a substitute

Mb2:
Min prices on junk food. Max prices on healthy food. Extract from shows something about headteachers trying to ban unhealthy snacks to school, business. May not work-poor regulation. However, min prices lead to excess supply, and max prices lead to excess demand.

Conclusion: can't rememberwhat I wrote.

So do you reconsider the number of mrks I recievefor 5,8,12mRkers.
For the 25 mark essay, referring to the extracts, the quantity written for the conclusion and timing was a sure weakness. Again Howmany works rough,you for the essay (I'm guessing atleast 13 maybe more because I evaluated,but in terms of drawing 6-8 graphs and good language maybe at least 17?)

Thank you ever so much

Please tellme how many marks I would get forneach of these, I am seriously anxious so I will be waiting. Please be as realistic as u can and don't give me higher marks, if you feel sympathy

Stop spamming that question around here, ask your teacher, he/she will know more than us, we're students not examiners.
Reply 502
Original post by Alex-Torres
Stop spamming that question around here, ask your teacher, he/she will know more than us, we're students not examiners.

I just simply wanted your opinion, because the tension and anxiety is building up - I'm just really worried that is all. There is no need to argue back.
Reply 503
Original post by Alex-Torres

Legend.
Can someone kill the thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
can anyone please tell me what topics came up in the Jan 2013 paper? If you can give both topics from both contexts, it'll be really helpful!
Thanks!
Original post by Kevinkaykay96
Hey!
can anyone please tell me what topics came up in the Jan 2013 paper? If you can give both topics from both contexts, it'll be really helpful!
Thanks!

Any particular reason? If your teachers giving you it as a mock it will only damage your chances in the long run, as you won't get a true representation of what level you're working at.
The grade boundaries for this paper are 55/75 for an A!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 507
Original post by mahatma ghandi
The grade boundaries for this paper are 55/75 for an A!

If this is real then it's amazing!
Reply 509

Woooow! It is really low this time, nice! And thanks for the source man,rep for you :wink:

EDIT: there is no thumbs up in this thread (I wonder why) , so can't give rep :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by benq
Woooow! It is really low this time, nice! And thanks for the source man,rep for you :wink:

I need 36/50 on the data response question, so nervous it's untrue
Is anybody shocked at their result? I got lower than I got before?! This was a retake. I was much better prepared, and going over the paper it seems I got higher than 65ums!

Getting my paper photocopied and sent!
Reply 512
Original post by Keyan333
Is anybody shocked at their result? I got lower than I got before?! This was a retake. I was much better prepared, and going over the paper it seems I got higher than 65ums!

Getting my paper photocopied and sent!

Same I got 72 ums which is the worst grade I have... Meaning I don't get my first choice unless I resit in summer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 85ums but I'm not happy with it so I'm resitting.
i got 73 ums, not amazing but considering how badly i thought it went on the day i'm pleasantly surprised. Gonna resit in summer and I'm getting a photocopy of the script back. Dunno if a remark will be very helpful tbh as im quite far off the A boundary.
Got a B. Economics has almost killed me, I've sat the unit 1 exam 2 times before, got an D then and E. I'm really happy, I don't even need it to get into uni but this result strangely means so much to me.

How does everyone else feel?
I got a D, 50 UMS.

Gutted because I'm predicted A's and put so much ****ing work in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
95 UMS! Most people seemed to underachieve in this exam though judging by the rest of my class
Reply 518
Original post by tamil4
i got 73 ums, not amazing but considering how badly i thought it went on the day i'm pleasantly surprised. Gonna resit in summer and I'm getting a photocopy of the script back. Dunno if a remark will be very helpful tbh as im quite far off the A boundary.

I got 73 Ums too! not sure whether to retake or not, my teacher said to focus more on unit 2 to get a solid A or90+ ums to meet mt target grade A.

this was my worst result after getting: 95 ums in c1 and c2, 82 ums in m1.
Section A : 23/25
Section B : 5/5 , 8/8 , 0/12 , 12/25

Economics B - knew I was resitting 20 minutes into section B cause I chose the wrong context :frown: Summer 90 UMS+ mark my words

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending