The Student Room Group

I dont play much sport.. what could i do at uni?

I don't play much sport. Feel like I maybe need to get into something at uni but I'm not really a skilled player. Can anyone recommend something I could get into. Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Running or other athletics.
Swimming.
Cycling.
Triathlons? Combine the above three :mmm:

Or you could go hillwalking, rock climbing?

Depends what the university offers really.
Reply 2
Water Polo! Hardly anyone who plays at uni does it before hand. It's great exercise (you have no idea) and it isn't too difficult to learn the rules etc.
Plus from around my local area (Essex) thes a great community attached, and not loads of pressure. Perfect :smile:
Reply 3
I'm in a similar situation and am planning on starting American Football. Its not played much over here, but I follow the NFL when its on and find it so intense! Can't wait.
Original post by YThursday
I'm in a similar situation and am planning on starting American Football. Its not played much over here, but I follow the NFL when its on and find it so intense! Can't wait.

Me too! Which uni you going to? :smile:
check what the uni offers, theirs loads for beginners :smile:

yes fam thats the way to roll im gonna also play this year :woo:
Be prepared to feel the pain for the first few weeks your really gonna feel it especially if your not used to being hit so much and hard. It's great fun but you also have to study in a sense to learn the plays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Malevolent
Be prepared to feel the pain for the first few weeks your really gonna feel it especially if your not used to being hit so much and hard. It's great fun but you also have to study in a sense to learn the plays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you play yourself? I don't want to go off-topic, but what was it like? Did you start as a beginner?
I play out of university in the British American Football League (BAFL) where the standard is higher so it was harder but you will have people who play in the BAFL as well as uni leagues so there will be good players. I actually played when I was 14 but moved here and stopped until I started again last year. Took a while to get used to the hits but really go for it man it's good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
ahh yeah im also hoping to pick up the sport again at uni, these year ive cut down so much its not good, but i cant cope with everything atm :/
anything but running haha
It depends on the uni. I play rugby and at my uni everyone gets in a team with the 3s being mostly beginers. Its good game because you can play the game to your own strengths and find a role within the team that suits you. Its also a good social. But at some unis you would need to be a good player to get in the 3s.
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Me too! Which uni you going to? :smile:

Probably Sheffield, you?
Probably Sheffield, you?

Lancaster! Might play against you :colondollar:
Reply 14
I've never been a really sporty person, but these past couple of months my interest in football has started to blossom, by no means do I have any skill at the game at all, but I'm planning at uni seeing if there is a team for shockers like myself.

The good thing about football is you could go anywhere and find people who enjoy it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by connormilton
I don't play much sport. Feel like I maybe need to get into something at uni but I'm not really a skilled player. Can anyone recommend something I could get into. Cheers.

The great thing about Uni is that every single sports club will have complete novices taking it up every year. Just about every club will run taster sessions during or just after freshers week too, so you can go along to as many as you like, try out the sport with no pressure on you at all, where you'll be surrounded by other novices.

As you haven't given any details about what you're looking for I'll give you my three recommendations.

Lacrosse - Is fast, physical, takes a lot of skill to be good at, and gets you incredibly fit in a short space of time. Also takes a lot of teamwork and so you end up building up a really good group dynamic which leads to a great social side too. It's also a sport that nobody plays before coming to University, so you're in the same boat as everybody else at the start of the year.
Rock Climbing - Much more relaxed, is a sport where you can just go at your own pace, you pick the routes you climb and so you decide how difficult it is. It's great fun, it'll do wonders for your general strength, and you feel great after finishing a difficult route because you get a serious adrenaline rush. Also one of the best communities I've ever met, virtually any climber is prepared to stop what they are doing to help somebody else out with a route, and personally I've made plenty of really good friends just from meeting random people at the climbing centre.
Archery - The most sedate option here, but still a sport I love. Once again, it's one that few people do before University and so you'll be one of many novices at the start of the year. Doesn't take any fitness, although over time you will build up your arms and back, and it's one of those things where the only challenge is yourself. It's a constant battle to just beat your last score, and I love the fact that you can just put yourself into your own little world, and block everything from your mind except you, your bow, the arrow, and the target.

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Lancaster! Might play against you :colondollar:

hahahahahahahaha.

The Lancaster Bombers are sooooooo bad it's funny.

I was at Lancaster for 2 years and I went to watch them frequently because I love american football, and watching them attempt to play it was hilarious.

The first choice quarterback when I was there could complete passes up to about 15 yards, anything up to about 25 was then wildly inaccurate, and he literally couldn't throw further than 25.
Original post by officelinebacker

hahahahahahahaha.

The Lancaster Bombers are sooooooo bad it's funny.

I was at Lancaster for 2 years and I went to watch them frequently because I love american football, and watching them attempt to play it was hilarious.

The first choice quarterback when I was there could complete passes up to about 15 yards, anything up to about 25 was then wildly inaccurate, and he literally couldn't throw further than 25.

Haha, I had heard that they weren't very good :rolleyes:
I didn't base my uni choice on who had the best American football team though :colondollar:

Sounds like they have a good time though :wink:
Lacrosse - Is fast, physical, takes a lot of skill to be good at, and gets you incredibly fit in a short space of time. Also takes a lot of teamwork and so you end up building up a really good group dynamic which leads to a great social side too. It's also a sport that nobody plays before coming to University, so you're in the same boat as everybody else at the start of the year.

I'm thinking of trying lacrosse; can you just turn up during the year? I'm scared of making a tit out of myself if I go along to their practice night next week and I'm rubbish at it. :frown: I know that's pretty likely as the rules are meant to be complicated, but I'm looking for a university sports club to join, not humiliation. :colondollar:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I'm thinking of trying lacrosse; can you just turn up during the year? I'm scared of making a tit out of myself if I go along to their practice night next week and I'm rubbish at it. :frown: I know that's pretty likely as the rules are meant to be complicated, but I'm looking for a university sports club to join, not humiliation. :colondollar:

From the two Uni clubs and one city club that I have been a member of I will say that they have all been very relaxed and good natured.

Best bet however is to find an email address for the club and drop them a quick message asking if they are happy for people to join mid-season, I'm sure they won't have a problem, especially given that the season is actually just about finished, so training sessions will become more relaxed from now till the end of the year.

The rules are a lot less complicated than the tactics and basic skills, trust me. I can't help you much on the womens game, as there are quite a lot of differences between mens and womens, but you'll be able to learn the key bits within a training session or two without a problem.

As for being rubbish at it, nobody will give a damn. Just remember that almost every single person there didn't play the sport before coming to University, so each and every one of them will have at some point been at the exact same stage as you are.

Give it a go, even if you do make a fool of yourself nobody will judge you, just laugh it off and stick with it.
From the two Uni clubs and one city club that I have been a member of I will say that they have all been very relaxed and good natured.

Best bet however is to find an email address for the club and drop them a quick message asking if they are happy for people to join mid-season, I'm sure they won't have a problem, especially given that the season is actually just about finished, so training sessions will become more relaxed from now till the end of the year.

The rules are a lot less complicated than the tactics and basic skills, trust me. I can't help you much on the womens game, as there are quite a lot of differences between mens and womens, but you'll be able to learn the key bits within a training session or two without a problem.

As for being rubbish at it, nobody will give a damn. Just remember that almost every single person there didn't play the sport before coming to University, so each and every one of them will have at some point been at the exact same stage as you are.

Give it a go, even if you do make a fool of yourself nobody will judge you, just laugh it off and stick with it.

Thanks. OK, I'll go along to a training session next week. I'll e-mail them beforehand though, to warn them I'll be turning up. :tongue: Their website says they are looking for new members.

Quick Reply

Latest