The Student Room Group

Sporting success with universities

Does anyone know if universities may offer lower if you are strong at sport?
I play netball high up, I am now playing internationally.
I would like to go to a Russell Group university and may get AAB. Would the unis potentially offer me lower than their AAA offer?
Hey

I have just been through the application process for unis etc. I found that if you get in touch via email with the specific coaches after applying the grade was reduced although it is very dependent on the course of what you are looking to study and which unis you end up applying to.

I ended up firming and then insuring both universities which gave me a reduction although this was a grade lowered.

hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Its rare for a lower offer to be made - but there may be more leniency in August if you dont quite hit the grades and you are an elite athlete and the Uni values that. Bath and Loughborough are the big sports Unis and are the most likely to do this.
Original post by McGinger
Its rare for a lower offer to be made - but there may be more leniency in August if you dont quite hit the grades and you are an elite athlete and the Uni values that. Bath and Loughborough are the big sports Unis and are the most likely to do this.

To be honest I don’t really agree with this. Most universities that I have gotten in touch with have been very happy to reduce my grade for instance; nott, nott Trent and Exeter. As well as Durham holding a video call as “flagged for sporting excellence” although they don’t reduce a grade they offer other support including scholarships etc.
Original post by Laurendickin
To be honest I don’t really agree with this. Most universities that I have gotten in touch with have been very happy to reduce my grade for instance; nott, nott Trent and Exeter. As well as Durham holding a video call as “flagged for sporting excellence” although they don’t reduce a grade they offer other support including scholarships etc.

In all honesty I think you've been lucky or have approached unis that already have a sports focus. In my experience most unis won't care at all.

But definitely worth checking as you have found :smile:
Reply 5
Hey

I have just been through the application process for unis etc. I found that if you get in touch via email with the specific coaches after applying the grade was reduced although it is very dependent on the course of what you are looking to study and which unis you end up applying to.

I ended up firming and then insuring both universities which gave me a reduction although this was a grade lowered.

hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you!! I have a zoom call with a uni's head coach so that will be interesting. Appreciated your reply!! :smile:
Original post by le.bosh
Thank you!! I have a zoom call with a uni's head coach so that will be interesting. Appreciated your reply!! :smile:

No stress.

If you have any other questions about Personal Statement etc I'm happy to pm mine over to you or any email structures etc.

Good luck with the video call I'm sure you will smash it!
Reply 7
No stress.

If you have any other questions about Personal Statement etc I'm happy to pm mine over to you or any email structures etc.

Good luck with the video call I'm sure you will smash it!

That would be amazing!!
Reply 8
Having just been through this with my daughter, it is very hit and miss. Some unis said they don't reduce grades at all straight away. Another invited her to a scholarship day said she would get a reduced grade, but then she didn't get the offer for the course in the end (which was incredibly cruel if I'm honest, plus her predicted grades were already higher than the standard offer). She did get a reduced offer from one RG uni. However this said her course is incredibly over subscribed, so actually of the 5 she applied for only 2 were going to give a reduced grade due to elite sport.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending