The Student Room Group

Uni

Could anyone give me a heads up on generally how uni terms and extra curricular work?
I’m starting uni in September and just wanted to find out if it’s like school where every uni event eg. concert/ sports matches ect will take place during the uni term time and not during holidays?
So it means you can actually go home in the holidays and won’t have commitments to worry about?
I was hoping that I could possibly work when I come home in the holidays to earn a bit of extra money… do many people do this?
Also do most people travel up/ back from uni at weekends… I assume that most won’t have lectures or anything at weekends?
Any more info on this would be much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Could anyone give me a heads up on generally how uni terms and extra curricular work?
I’m starting uni in September and just wanted to find out if it’s like school where every uni event eg. concert/ sports matches ect will take place during the uni term time and not during holidays?
So it means you can actually go home in the holidays and won’t have commitments to worry about?
I was hoping that I could possibly work when I come home in the holidays to earn a bit of extra money… do many people do this?
Also do most people travel up/ back from uni at weekends… I assume that most won’t have lectures or anything at weekends?

Hi OP! :hello:

Generally yes most extra-curriculars will take place during the uni term, though depending on what society you join there might be things going on outside term, e.g. sports or choir tours, musical concerts. I studied languages and we had a trip to Berlin for a week at a language school and there were exchanges. There might also be opportunities to volunteer or to work at the uni during the holidays, such as at open days.

That said, most students will come home for the uni holidays, see their families and can have a number of weeks working to earn some money in between uni terms.

In terms of travelling to and from home at weekends, obviously this depends how far away home is for people, but it's more likely to have extra-curriculars or social events going on in a weekend in term and generally most people will want to spend time with their uni friends.

Hello!

In my experience most society meetings and sporting events happen during term time, however, as mentioned above, some societies do meet over the holidays to practise for, or attend, events. At Lancaster we have an annual sporting competition against York (called Roses) which is held just after the Easter/Lent Holiday so some sports teams have started meeting up and practising during the holiday in preparation for this!

Lots of people work when they come home over the holidays, I know two friends who work at a supermarket and another who works in a pub - it's very common and lots of jobs are happy for the extra staff over the busier periods e.g. Christmas. Another thing to consider is maybe getting a part-time job while at university. I work as a Student Ambassador and there are lots of opportunities both in and out of term time for me to work various shifts and the job is very flexible.

In my experience only people who live relatively locally tend to travel back home every weekend, and even then some of them only go back every other weekend because they like the independence, want to hang out with friends, or have coursework to finish - there's plenty of stuff to do while at university even when you're not in lectures! I live further from university so I visit home once or twice a term, but I know some people who don't go home any weekends in term. Some people also choose to spend holidays at university, especially if they are revising for upcoming exams.

I hope I could help, let me know if you have any other questions!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Hey there!
Usually, sports societies hold their training during the week and it's usually on the night if that's what you're interested in. Some sports societies will have sports competitions you have to go to on a weekend but this will never be during the Easter or Christmas holidays, it's usually during term time. There's also matches throughout the week, it just depends on the society. After varsity month, the meetings and training usually stop for summer. In first year I had a job at home that I came back to do in the Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays and this worked well for me because it was quite easy to get the job back. This could be a problem if you don't already have one of these jobs because most places wouldn't be happy with hiring someone short-term, I already had the job before I went to university. In second year, I left my job at home and decided to find one in Sheffield where I study. This is great for me as it keeps me busy during the week and I'm earning my own money. It does become difficult when trying to go and visit home as I have to plan it a lot of weeks in advance to get the time off and I can't just come home as and when I want. Usually you will have at least one day off from the 5 day week at uni, I always seem to end up with Friday's off which makes it quite easy to go home but I do struggle with it because of my job.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

Good to hear you’re preparing for university! In terms of schedule, you will most likely have breaks at Christmas, easter and a long summer with no lectures or extra-curriculars so you can absolutely head home in this time. Many students head home in the breaks to do as you said and earn some extra money.

There is no in person time on the weekends so if you wanted to head home you could however, many students choose to live at university full time. Some societies have social, classes etc on the weekends so you will need to check with your specific extra-curriculars for their timings. Furthermore, it depends on the distance between home and university, whether you want to stay to produce coursework and personal preference! Some people just like the independence while others prefer to head back to family, If you wanted to earn extra cash, the weekends could be a good idea to get a part-time job, lots of places hire students with the knowledge of their holiday schedules so you wouldn’t have to worry too much about being able to go home you would have to do some searching around for these opportunities but they’re there.

Good luck with everything!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)

Hi there,
Im a student at Manchester Met and I’m in the band society. We have concerts in term time, just because it’s easier for everyone to get to and more people are able to attend if it’s then. Most events are in term time, unless it’s like a trip ie ski society which go skiing in Easter or Christmas holiday. << but that’s also optional to go too.
From experience I’ve found everything that is out of term time will optional and not expected. So, definitely ok to go home and earn some money! Society’s are usually designed in this way so students can attend in term time and do whatever else they would like in the holidays.

which uni are you off to in September?

Emily <3

Hello,
It's great to hear you'll be starting university in September. University students typically have breaks at Christmas, Easter, and a long summer vacation with no classes or extra-curricular activities, so you are free to travel home during this time. During breaks, a lot of students go home to work as you suggested and earn some extra cash.
Sports clubs usually train during the week and primarily at night. There are also matches throughout the week; it just depends on which club you want to join. At University of Sunderland, we usually have matches on Wednesday.
Most weekends, local students return to their homes, but the majority of students choose to live at university. Certain societies have party or events on weekends for that you need to check with them. It also depends on whether you are a local or international student, whether you want to stay to complete coursework, and your own individual choices! Some people enjoy the independence of hanging out with friends, whereas others prefer to return to family.
If you want to make extra money, you can work on weekends or during holidays like Christmas and Easter. As it is usually rushed at that time, you can easily find a part-time job. I have many opportunities to work different shifts as a Student Ambassador because the position is very flexible, both during and outside of classes. Many places hire students who are familiar with their holiday schedules, so you won't have to worry about not being able to go home.

Please let me know if you have any more queries!
Kind regards,
Mrunali Kalbhor,
University of Sunderland Student ambassador
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there!
Usually, sports societies hold their training during the week and it's usually on the night if that's what you're interested in. Some sports societies will have sports competitions you have to go to on a weekend but this will never be during the Easter or Christmas holidays, it's usually during term time. There's also matches throughout the week, it just depends on the society. After varsity month, the meetings and training usually stop for summer. In first year I had a job at home that I came back to do in the Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays and this worked well for me because it was quite easy to get the job back. This could be a problem if you don't already have one of these jobs because most places wouldn't be happy with hiring someone short-term, I already had the job before I went to university. In second year, I left my job at home and decided to find one in Sheffield where I study. This is great for me as it keeps me busy during the week and I'm earning my own money. It does become difficult when trying to go and visit home as I have to plan it a lot of weeks in advance to get the time off and I can't just come home as and when I want. Usually you will have at least one day off from the 5 day week at uni, I always seem to end up with Friday's off which makes it quite easy to go home but I do struggle with it because of my job.

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Yes, but sports societies are often competitive, especially if you're competing in BUCS or even national events.

Would it be possible to join a lower competitive team or even recreational team, and "promote" to a higher competitive team if you display good aptitude at a particular sport?
Original post by justlearning1469
Yes, but sports societies are often competitive, especially if you're competing in BUCS or even national events.

Would it be possible to join a lower competitive team or even recreational team, and "promote" to a higher competitive team if you display good aptitude at a particular sport?

Hey there @justlearning1469 !
Thank you for your reply...

Depending in your university, as I know this is true of mine, usually they will have your squad teams which are the ones you have to take part in trials to get onto. These take place at the start of the year and as far as I'm aware if you don't get through the trials then there isn't opportunity to join again in the year, you have to try again next year. Each team will have their 1st team which are the top players and then there will also be your 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams as well. Most sports societies offer the main teams to try out for and then they also offer their social team which is for people that just go because they enjoy the sport and want to make friends, they don't play competitively. I don't know for certain but if you get onto the 3rd team for example, I'd assume you might be able to move up to 2nds if a space became available and you were offered it. However, this is not always the case. Some people who don't get through the trials just join the social team, for example Hallam has their main Netball squad and then they have Social Netball which takes place once a week and they play matches in that session against each other but they don't go and compete with other universities and don't play in varsity. If you're part of the Social Netball team, you can't move up and play in the squad matches because you didn't pass the trials. Once again this is true of my university, I can't comment on any others although I know a few have the system of 1st team and then 2nds, 3rds and 4ths.

Hope this helped!
Original post by hallamstudents
Thank you for your reply...

Depending in your university, as I know this is true of mine, usually they will have your squad teams which are the ones you have to take part in trials to get onto. These take place at the start of the year and as far as I'm aware if you don't get through the trials then there isn't opportunity to join again in the year, you have to try again next year. Each team will have their 1st team which are the top players and then there will also be your 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams as well. Most sports societies offer the main teams to try out for and then they also offer their social team which is for people that just go because they enjoy the sport and want to make friends, they don't play competitively. I don't know for certain but if you get onto the 3rd team for example, I'd assume you might be able to move up to 2nds if a space became available and you were offered it. However, this is not always the case. Some people who don't get through the trials just join the social team, for example Hallam has their main Netball squad and then they have Social Netball which takes place once a week and they play matches in that session against each other but they don't go and compete with other universities and don't play in varsity. If you're part of the Social Netball team, you can't move up and play in the squad matches because you didn't pass the trials. Once again this is true of my university, I can't comment on any others although I know a few have the system of 1st team and then 2nds, 3rds and 4ths.

Hope this helped!

I see, in this case I don't think I can make the top teams, my preliminary goal would be to get into a competitive sports team for university. I'm not very athletically talented so I don't think I can make the top teams, but if I can say I'm playing a sport for a uni compeptitively, and do well enough, that's quite good.

The 4th teams are good, although socially many people prefer very athletic people and would look at you highly if you're in the 1st term.
Original post by justlearning1469
I see, in this case I don't think I can make the top teams, my preliminary goal would be to get into a competitive sports team for university. I'm not very athletically talented so I don't think I can make the top teams, but if I can say I'm playing a sport for a uni compeptitively, and do well enough, that's quite good.

The 4th teams are good, although socially many people prefer very athletic people and would look at you highly if you're in the 1st term.

Never say never! To be honest even the 4th team is impressive because some people don't make any of the competitive squads so to say you even got on the team is amazing! You also get the exact same social benefits and opportunity to play competitively whether you're on the 1st team or 4th. I sometimes feel like the team number does't matter. For me personally, as someone who isn't in any societies, I don't look at someone differently based on what team they're on and I never even think to ask them. If someone has a hobby they love and were passionate enough about it to get onto any team then that's all that matters at the end of the day :smile:

Thank you for your reply!

Kind of nothing tends to happen in the breaks except for climbing trips or ski trips things like that if your member of the society if your a member of a sports team fixtures are usually done at the weeeknds I usually went home at the weekend but many people don’t do that you get people from all over the place and you can’t really travel 6 hours (there and back 3 hours one way) every weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending