The Student Room Group

Would you rather fight in WW2 or Vietnam?

Wasn't sure where to put this, just a general interest. Thanks!

Personally I'd opt for WW2, jungles and ambushes are not really favourable.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vietnam. More chance of still being alive, given the dates.
Reply 2
Original post by katetaylor
Do you actually know anything about either of these conflicts?
So nobody fought in the jungle in WWII and all fighting in Vietnam was settled by ambushes?
Reply 3
I wasn't saying ALL combat was like that but seriously, can you not just let a thread roll?
Reply 4
Original post by katetaylor
Wasn't sure where to put this, just a general interest. Thanks!

Depends where.

I mean, if I was drafted into Africa or Italy or anywhere on the Med front really, then I'd be more willing to fight in WW2. If, hypothetically, I was a German/Russian on the Eastern front, was shipped out following Germany's defeat to the Pacific (all that jungle fighting/ambushing you hate OP) or had any prolonged stay on the Western, then I'd take Vietnam.

You'd have a better chance of surviving if you fought in Vietnam given the wars duration and relatively small geographical size.
If i had to i guess i would say WW2...
Reply 6
WWII... the Hun treated their military prisoners fairly well.
Reply 7
Original post by mphysical
Do you actually know anything about either of these conflicts?
So nobody fought in the jungle in WWII and all fighting in Vietnam was settled by ambushes?

Jungle ambushes made up a much bigger proportion of the fighting in Vietnam than they did in WWII as a whole. You'd have a better chance of avoiding jungles if you chose to fight in the 40s rather than the 60s.
Reply 8
Original post by the bear
WWII... the Hun treated their military prisoners fairly well.
The Eastern Front was by far the biggest clash of manpower.
You would have been happy to have been taken prisoner as a Russian would you?
Reply 9
Original post by mphysical
The Eastern Front was by far the biggest clash of manpower.
You would have been happy to have been taken prisoner as a Russian would you?

I am unable to answer that question Sir
Depends on which front in world war two tbh..

Wouldn't go near the Japanese one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think people forget to realize the British/Americans fought WW2 in the jungles in the Pacific.
probably WW2 as the americans put the vietnamese through some pretty awful stuff and later suffered from physiological disorders as a result- sure people in WW2 did as well but not so large a scale
WW2 - I would fight for ideals which I believed in.
Well id pick world war two :smile: europe or Africa. The japs were paps. Im joining the royal regiment of scotland next week so maybe i will see the sandpit :biggrin:
I would join the germans..
Reply 16
Probably WW2, defending Grand Britannia an all.
WW2- That war had to be fought for numerous reasons. Also i'd take my chances on a random fighting zone rather than be plonked straight into a jungle environment fighting against an invisible enemy and for a nation thats own legitimacy was debatable.

Having said that i'd assume you'd have a better survival rate in Vietnam (albeit with traumatic experiences).

Korea or Vietnam is a question i'd like to ask...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
WW2- That war had to be fought for numerous reasons. Also i'd take my chances on a random fighting zone rather than be plonked straight into a jungle environment fighting against an invisible enemy and for a nation thats own legitimacy was debatable.

Having said that i'd assume you'd have a better survival rate in Vietnam (albeit with traumatic experiences).

Korea or Vietnam is a question i'd like to ask...

Highly doubt that, in 68 the average life expectancy of a 2nd Lieutenant in combat was 18mins.
Reply 19
WW2. I want to kill Nazis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending