The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Oi, trying telling that to the lads of Blacon or Salford, if you returned alive I'd be amazed.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He must be doing something right, because Fox took time out to slag him off.

Good discussion with Owen about Chavs here.

He's someone who's got no grasp on everyday life, like you. Does mummy know your on the Internet.. :rolleyes:
Please address points in the thread and restrain yourself from making personal remarks.

Oh, don't take it personally, the majority of people on here are incredibly self-righteous as well. If you can't see the clear distinction between 'chavs' and the working class then you shouldn't even bother posting.
Have you ever read the Daily Mail? They don't spend their time attacking the working class, that's for sure.
Original post by venenecinema
Ironic since that's a notoriously single-minded diatribe.

Stop trying to divert the point I'm making. OP is not weighing up both sides of the argument - Owen Jones' book is a good insight into a different perspective. Reading it allows you to consider both sides, thereby being open minded. I have read it, and still keep an open mind about the matter. What's the point in even posting in the first place if you're not going to consider other people's points; instead writing them off as 'diatribe'.
Oh, don't take it personally, the majority of people on here are incredibly self-righteous as well. If you can't see the clear distinction between 'chavs' and the working class then you shouldn't even bother posting.
Have you ever read the Daily Mail? They don't spend their time attacking the working class, that's for sure.

I think you meant that one personally, but not to worry.

The Mail mainly oozes love all over rich people, as if they are somehow deprived and need the attention, plus it focuses on horror stories about the poor wherever they are also (in particular) of foreign origins. However, I've also noticed in passing that it carries regular 'chav horror' features.
Original post by uktotalgamer
He's someone who's got no grasp on everyday life, like you. Does mummy know your on the Internet.. :rolleyes:

Lol, she does! She's always telling me to use it less as well!
Reply 46
No, we need to get rid of the culture of calling everyone chavs and everything chavvy.
Original post by EleanorKeats
I really hope you're just a troll . The word "chav" is really offensive, it's a derogatory term.
I live in upper-middle class Surrey and everyone uses the term "chav" to describe people who live in council houses and engage in the behaviours you described. However nobody would reject these behaviours if the people in question were wealthy/
Being tough does not work and will not work. The US has some of the toughest prisons in the world and has one of the highest re-offence rates.
Most "chavs" come from rough areas, have difficult home lives and little future prospects. By labelling and insulting them you are excluding them from a society which they already feel alienated from. What they really need is good education, youth projects and financial/social support.
There is a culture in this country of using 'chavs' as a scapegoat. They were not born that way, society made them that way.
They don't stand for the working class but a majority of them come from poor working class backgrounds.
It is high time our society took a more progressive and tolerant attitude.

I'm not entirely sure why I bothered writing this as no doubt you'll disagree with me and continue to preach ignorance.

Why hell do they need financial support?! Being a chav isn't a disability, it's a choice, and it's their choice that stops them from getting jobs because of their attitude, dress sense and language. What exactly are they being supported for? :s-smilie:
Reply 48
He must be doing something right, because Fox took time out to slag him off.

Good discussion with Owen about Chavs here.

I just can't see it personally, that's all. I have a clear idea of what a 'chav' is. I have a lot of mates who you could consider poor and I can tell you now there is no confusion. It is just more class-warfare from the likes of him.
I think you meant that one personally, but not to worry.

The Mail mainly oozes love all over rich people, as if they are somehow deprived and need the attention, plus it focuses on horror stories about the poor wherever they are also (in particular) of foreign origins. However, I've also noticed in passing that it carries regular 'chav horror' features.

I'd definitely say that they attack and denigrate minorities but on the whole I've found quite a few of their articles to be supportive of the working class. The way they constantly bang on about tax avoidance isn't a great way of appealing to the wealthy anyway.
Reply 50
Why does the left flock to defend so many negative things? They defend chavs but blame everyone else for their behaviour; they crusade against Christianity but turn a blind eye to Islam's numerous failings; they defend left-wing tyrants but denounce the West as evil oppressors; they defend other cultures but are all too quick to deny their country has any. Why is this?

A lack of morals or a void of sanity? Clearly, as some of the comments on here have shown, a compromise.
I'd definitely say that they attack and denigrate minorities but on the whole I've found quite a few of their articles to be supportive of the working class. The way they constantly bang on about tax avoidance isn't a great way of appealing to the wealthy anyway.

Even the Tory press are busy crapping on the bankers and on tax avoidance because they know the public are so heated up over it - incidentally, a lot of the heat on the latter has been generated by 'leftie' activists like UK Uncut in the first instance and also Private Eye, their stories on the ridiculous deals the HMRC did with Vodafone and Goldmans inspired them to take action.
Original post by Barksy
Why does the left flock to defend so many negative things? They defend chavs but blame everyone else for their behaviour; they crusade against Christianity but turn a blind eye to Islam's numerous failings; they defend left-wing tyrants but denounce the West as evil oppressors; they defend other cultures but are all too quick to deny their country has any. Why is this?

A lack of morals or a void of sanity? Clearly, as some of the comments on here have shown, a compromise.

Mostly because it's fashionable.
Agree 100% with OP there. Chav culture in the UK should just be abolished once and for all (wishful thinking there. This is also coming from a former student of a secondary school where shouting out "YER MATE **** EXAMS I ONLY GOT A D!" or randomly throwing a stool at someone for thinking they were "startin" on you made you cool and popular :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
There was me clicking on this thread and actually thinking that this would be an erudite complaint at the over-use of the word 'chav'.

Alas, no. Back to the scapegoating mob it is...
Original post by Barksy

I can't tell if you're just trolling for the sake of it, but it isn't true that all lefties defend bad behaviour in the working class. If people behave illegally, they should be punished by the law. However, if people are just loathed or ridiculed for their clothes, manners or family lifestyles, sometimes that ridicule and loathing is to do with social class and 'looking down' on people. I don't find that particularly nice, leftie or not.
Original post by rockrunride
There was me clicking on this thread and actually thinking that this would be an erudite complaint at the over-use of the word 'chav'.

Alas, no. Back to the scapegoating mob it is...

Quite! Well said.
Reply 57
I would wager there is a correlation between those who have never experienced chavs properly and those who are saying "chav" is a class-slur

:holmes:
Original post by Barksy

Defending left-wing tyrants may be bad, but don't let that deter attention of denouncing Western leaders as evil. The likes of Chavez and Ahmadinejad may have/had have their own serious issues, but they are the only people who speak up against such global powers. Our society is so embedded in our own hegemony that we hardly ever question it. Any media reporting of 'tyrants' criticising the West generates negative labelling like 'madman' or 'terrorist'. The hegemony ensues...
Reply 59
I can't tell if you're just trolling for the sake of it, but it isn't true that all lefties defend bad behaviour in the working class. If people behave illegally, they should be punished by the law. However, if people are just loathed or ridiculed for their clothes, manners or family lifestyles, sometimes that ridicule and loathing is to do with social class and 'looking down' on people. I don't find that particularly nice, leftie or not.

So I am wrong in not liking a part of society that wouldn't think twice of beating me up just for a glance over at them; a group which refuses to work but lives off hard working people's taxes (that includes the working class by the way); a culture that is anti-social and has made large swathes of the country literally a no-go area?

I bet you have never lived with the problem. Otherwise you wouldn't be so naive in thinking that when I say 'chav' I use it to smear the working class. It is actually quite remarkable just how wrong you've got this.

Latest

Trending

Trending