The Student Room Group

How much money do you spend on food at Uni weekly?

I'll hopefully be going to uni this september and will be moving into halls, I was wondering, how much money do those of you who are/have been at uni spend weekly for food? I've grown up on not much money at all tbh, so I would find it relatively easy to go to the supermarket and buy more than enough food to last me for a week with £20 . Even £10 would probably be enough. If I bought stuff like rice with vegetables sachets, lots of coca cola, the cheapest bread, sausages, jam, bacon, and other cheap stuff. I've calucated my student finance (correctly I hope!) and I should have about £100 left each week after paying my rent. I was wondering how much you guys spent of your money on food. I don't want to run out of money at uni :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bread: £1-£2.
Beans: £3-4 for a packet of 4.
Reply 2
i've managed to do a £9 shop before but it was mostly 11p noodles...

Mine averages £15 usually a little less, stuff you can freeze is a god send :smile:
Original post by Iron Lady
Bread: £1-£2.
Beans: £3-4 for a packet of 4.

I've found even cheaper bread :tongue: I remember a few years back, baked beans used to be only about 10p at my local supermarket. So cheap!! :eek:
Original post by Care-Free
i've managed to do a £9 shop before but it was mostly 11p noodles...

Mine averages £15 usually a little less, stuff you can freeze is a god send :smile:

my mum always used to buy those 11p noodles! And she'd put stir fry vegetables, some soy sauce and some seafood with it. It's really tasty that like that, and really cheap too :smile:
Yep, I'll definetly be looking for foods that can be frozen when I buy at uni.
Reply 5
Original post by beansontoast93
my mum always used to buy those 11p noodles! And she'd put stir fry vegetables, some soy sauce and some seafood with it. It's really tasty that like that, and really cheap too :smile:
Yep, I'll definetly be looking for foods that can be frozen when I buy at uni.

Making a big batch of food to freeze is good too, i have a slow cooker so can chuck a load of stuff in, come back from lectures and tada! 6 servings of soup/stew :smile:
As long as you're not a complete idiot you should be fine, its the ones who spend everything on booze on loan day, go out buy the best brands and then wonder why they're asking their parents for money for the last month.
Can easily get a full loaf of bread for 50p, split it in half, freeze it and then you have 2 weeks worth :smile: my mum always says that as long as you have potatoes you'll never starve :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Making a big batch of food to freeze is good too, i have a slow cooker so can chuck a load of stuff in, come back from lectures and tada! 6 servings of soup/stew :smile:
As long as you're not a complete idiot you should be fine, its the ones who spend everything on booze on loan day, go out buy the best brands and then wonder why they're asking their parents for money for the last month.
Can easily get a full loaf of bread for 50p, split it in half, freeze it and then you have 2 weeks worth :smile: my mum always says that as long as you have potatoes you'll never starve :tongue:

thanks for the tips! :smile:
no I'm definetly going to be careful with my money, it's like a bit of a compulsion of mine, I hate spending too much money on things :redface:
I've never thought of freezing bred before, I'm deffo going to be trying that! :smile:
Reply 7
if you don't care, then why bother spending your own time, to firstly click on my thread, and then to go through the trouble of searching up that meme on google, just so you could post it on here? :rolleyes: you're so helpful aren't you. :mad:

Just a guy trying to build up his red gems.
Mine is around £15 a week.
Reply 9
roughly £10-15. going to markets for fruit and vegetables (if there are any near your uni) tends to work out cheaper and you get fresh produce. stock up on tinned foods because obviously they last longer. depending on who you're living with look at buying things like milk, washing up liquid, etc on a rota or everyone putting money towards it.
Reply 10
Original post by TheGuy117
Just a guy trying to build up his red gems.

its science YO
Can someone make an table of essential or cheap food list to buy each week for me, my budget is £20 a week for this September when I start and whats the best supermarket to go to?

I am a muslim so can't have any sausage, meat or pork related stuff.
thanks for the tips! :smile:
no I'm definetly going to be careful with my money, it's like a bit of a compulsion of mine, I hate spending too much money on things :redface:
I've never thought of freezing bred before, I'm deffo going to be trying that! :smile:

I save up anything i dont spend...i think i just like to hoard money! :tongue:
you can freeze milk too but you have to take it out to defrost the day before you'll need it which is a pain but it doesnt effect the taste :smile:
Original post by Vibenation
Can someone make an table of essential or cheap food list to buy each week for me, my budget is £20 a week for this September when I start and whats the best supermarket to go to?

I am a muslim so can't have any sausage, meat or pork related stuff.

I happen to be on sainsburys online right now, so I'll try to make a list :smile: :

Semi Skimmed milk (4pints): £1.29
Sainsburys basics white bread (you could buy wholemeal if you prefer for same price) : 50p
3 packs of Sharwoods Chilli medium noodles, each 375g (contains small amount of egg):
£3.00 for three deal
2 packs Quorn chicken style pieces (not real chicken) 300g: £1.89 x 2= £3.78
Stir Fry vegetables 700g: £1.00
Sharwoods Soy sauce: £1.09
2 jars of Strawberry Jam, each 454g: 29p x 2= 58p
Sainsbury's wholemeal rolls x 6 2 packets= 70p x 2= £1.40
2 packs of Vegetarian Sausages pack of 6 (so 12 in total): deal for 2 packs = £3.00
English mustard: 30p
Quorn sizzling vegeterian burgers 160g: £2.25
Sainsbury's soft spread 1kg: £1.35
3 packs of Diet Cola 2l each: 51p in total

total: £20.50 :smile:

you could use the vegeterian chicken with the noodles, and put soy sauce over it and fry it up with the vegetables. And you could put the vegetarian sausages in the bread rolls, and put mustard on it. And you could have the white bread with your saussages also (they would also be nice in the stir fry too!) or with your burgers. Or you could have a jam and butter sandwich.
And you would definetly not run out of cola lol :smile:
Hope I helped! :redface:
I save up anything i dont spend...i think i just like to hoard money! :tongue:
you can freeze milk too but you have to take it out to defrost the day before you'll need it which is a pain but it doesnt effect the taste :smile:

Hoarding money sounds like a good idea, I'll think I'll have to try that too at uni :biggrin: The money would defintely be useful for the weekends!
And I'll have to give that I go :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I'll hopefully be going to uni this september and will be moving into halls, I was wondering, how much money do those of you who are/have been at uni spend weekly for food? I've grown up on not much money at all tbh, so I would find it relatively easy to go to the supermarket and buy more than enough food to last me for a week with £20 . Even £10 would probably be enough. If I bought stuff like rice with vegetables sachets, lots of coca cola, the cheapest bread, sausages, jam, bacon, and other cheap stuff. I've calucated my student finance (correctly I hope!) and I should have about £100 left each week after paying my rent. I was wondering how much you guys spent of your money on food. I don't want to run out of money at uni :redface:

I spend between £15 - £60 a week.
I spend around £30 if I'm bothered to go to Tesco. Around £50 if I go to Sainsburys which is closer.
Hoarding money sounds like a good idea, I'll think I'll have to try that too at uni :biggrin: The money would defintely be useful for the weekends!
And I'll have to give that I go :redface:

I saved up last term and bought christmas dinner so mum wouldn't have to worry about it...and who said money cant buy happiness :wink:
Reply 18
on an average week i'd spend about £15. sometimes it's more, generally the shops at the start of each semester were the most expensive cos you need to stock up on your store cupboard basics like flour, rice etc again.. then it's just buying fresh stuff every week :smile:

if you get decent housemates defo see if they all want to go in on washing powder, toilet paper, washing up liquid.. or even cook some meals together. much cheaper!! :smile: i found it quite easy to eat on a budget, but i'm not overly fussed about what brand food i'm eating - most of my tins etc were ASDA smartprice!! :colondollar:
Reply 19

I spend about £20 a week, but you can easily get away with less. Also I'm in London which means there are only 'local' and 'express' stores (near me anyway) so everything is ridiculously expensive!

Quick Reply

Latest