The Student Room Group

Is £75 a week enough for uni?

After rent (£200/week), I’ll have about £2700 left of my maintenance loan which comes to about £75 a week to live off of, would this be enough? I’m hoping to also get a job while there but I’m worried I’ll struggle with affording food and things like textbooks
I certainly hope it's enough because I'm planning on making do with a little bit less :tongue: It really depends on your lifestyle, how much you go out to eat, where you'll do your shopping, transport, and general money-savvy attitudes. But yeah, I think it's possible! Textbooks are very expensive and will represent an initial investment but it'll probably be alright. Best way to know is to budget! Really helpful stuff, will help you keep track of your money too and make it last, if you're worried. Also a good idea to check if you're eligible for a bursary at your university!
Yes, that's absolutely fine. Food should cost you much less than that weekly - realistically as a student you can and probably should be aiming for £25-30 a week on food. Add a bit for transport and you have a comfortable buffer for unexpected costs and/or personal expenses.

Don't buy textbooks - it's an unnecessary expense. Your uni library will have all the textbooks you need and lecturers will almost always focus on using their own lecture notes and just recommend textbooks as an additional resource to compare to your lecture notes and add more depth to your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending