The Student Room Group

How far do you agree with beauty in a woman is a prerequisite?

I don't want any of this crap like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (total nonsense) and "there are other qualities to consider, not just beauty" (YEAH right).

Men, just give me your honest opinions when you see women. How far do you judge them on looks? Why do you hate ugly woman such as myself?

How far do you base a woman's worth on her looks?

I want honest answers.

Look, no one is going to know you've posted in this thread. Just let out what you really think. I don't want to be lied to anymore.

Scroll to see replies

I find the majority of females at least somewhat physically attractive, so other things become more important.
Reply 2
Original post by im so academic
I don't want any of this crap like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" (total nonsense) and "there are other qualities to consider, not just beauty" (YEAH right).

Men, just give me your honest opinions when you see women. How far do you judge them on looks? Why do you hate ugly woman such as myself?

I want honest answers.

Look, no one is going to know you've posted in this thread. Just let out what you really think. I don't want to be lied to anymore.

Ugh, more self-loathing crap from ISA.

Here's my view.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Obviously if you're just friends, looks don't matter one bit. However, if I want a relationship, then of course looks matter --- there needs to be some attraction. I don't hate "ugly" women, such as yourself (as you claim).
Reply 3
Why do you say beauty is in the eye if the beholder is crap? Just to give a single example, I remember talking to my friend about hot girls and the one I found hottest, he found the worst looking. It REALLY is down to personal opinion.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
for me, there is a certain level of beauty that is a pre-requisite.

tbh, looks are a 50% factor in whether I want a relationship
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
I find the majority of females at least somewhat physically attractive, so other things become more important.

Surely you would prefer the more beautiful girls though?
Original post by tehforum
Ugh, more self-loathing crap from ISA.

Here's my view.

It depends on what you're looking for.

Obviously if you're just friends, looks don't matter one bit. However, if I want a relationship, then of course looks matter --- there needs to be some attraction. I don't hate "ugly" women, such as yourself (as you claim).

Of course I self-loathe myself.

OK, so what are you looking for?
Reply 7
1. I doubt you are as ugly as you say you are. I am sorry that you feel that way, hopefully when you're older you will realise that you have nice features.
2. Even if you are "plain", some men will find you attractive, and also like your personality, sense of humour, interests etc.
3. Not all men are the same. They are individuals with preferences, not a collective with similar ideals. Yes, some only like attractive women, but there will be plenty who value looks and (if not more) other factors. I think it depends on their maturity.

So please don't give up on yourself, yet. You should focus on having more confidence in yourself and recognising what you do have to offer. I happen to think you are intelligent and opinionated, which is good, because you're not afraid to put forward your opinions, and with those qualities you are likely to go far. :smile: Everyone can improve, so you can work towards improving your looks step-by-step to increase confidence and the idea that future partners see something in you, other than how you appear on the outside.

I'm not sure how old you are but as you are close to your 20s you will realise what I'm saying as it's in your teenage years where you feel everything is dominated by looks, but it really isn't. :smile: Perhaps you're meeting the wrong type of people if this is what you feel all of the time?

Anyway so I've rambled on but best of luck.
Reply 8

Why would they "prefer" them if they didn't have as much in common with them as another girl? Most people don't form relationships based on how they think others will perceive their relationship, if they do, that is for the wrong reasons.

There aren't any universal reasons why people form relationships.
----
(edited 9 years ago)
¬.¬ and women never judge men on looks do we :rolleyes: It's also really harsh to the men who do infact go for the less obviously pretty girls, plenty of girls have boyfriends when they'd be considered ugly, its the " oh my god im so ugly all guys are dicks cause you wont look at me cause im ugly look how ugly and horrifically insecure i am LOOK AT IT!!!" that puts guys off.

If anything men have it harder, us ugly chicks and throw on a bit of slap, shove something down our bra and no ones any the wiser, unfortunately men are stuck looking like that.

And generally beauty is the eye of the beholder for example Brad pitt is often the go-to example of the epitome of hot guys but i think he looks like a fish..and not an attractive one..
(edited 11 years ago)

oh totally, but it's far from the be all and end all
Original post by Iron Lady
1. I doubt you are as ugly as you say you are. I am sorry that you feel that way, hopefully when you're older you will realise that you have nice features.

I've been told that I am explicitly.

2. Even if you are "plain", some men will find you attractive, and also like your personality, sense of humour, interests etc.

It's not that I'm plain, it's because I'm ugly in the actual sense of the word. Even I think I'm ugly. I'd kill to be plain.

3. Not all men are the same. They are individuals with preferences, not a collective with similar ideals. Yes, some only like attractive women, but there will be plenty who value looks and (if not more) other factors. I think it depends on their maturity.

I don't think so. Did you read about the Cambridge article where there was one male undergraduate that said one of the best things about studying at Cambridge is now you can judge on looks? (Because by default everyone there is intelligent).

So please don't give up on yourself, yet. You should focus on having more confidence in yourself and recognising what you do have to offer.

Sometimes I feel that irrespective of what I "have to offer", it's worthless because I'm not pretty. What about the other girls who are better than me AND more prettier as well?

I happen to think you are intelligent and opinionated, which is good, because you're not afraid to put forward your opinions, and with those qualities you are likely to go far. :smile: Everyone can improve, so you can work towards improving your looks step-by-step to increase confidence and the idea that future partners see something in you, other than how you appear on the outside.

Maybe.

I'm not sure how old you are but as you are close to your 20s you will realise what I'm saying as it's in your teenage years where you feel everything is dominated by looks, but it really isn't. :smile: Perhaps you're meeting the wrong type of people if this is what you feel all of the time?

It's the same wherever I go. You meet amazing people that you can never ever have a chance with because you're ugly. And you hate yourself because of it. You can never have the guy you want because you're so ****ing ugly. I hate that.

Anyway so I've rambled on but best of luck.

Thanks for you words. I try and stay optimistic, but it's hard. :frown:
Reply 13

I want honest answers.

The first thing you notice about a woman is their appearance. Any guy who says looks don't matter is lying to themselves. Don't get me wrong, personality is a big part of being attracted to someone, but looks no doubt come first.

Men don't hate ugly women. Men hate people who give them a reason to hate them. Being ugly isn't a reason, so if men hate you then you must be doing something wrong.

Note to ugly women: If you're having no look with men and think it's a result of your looks, either A) get to know them and hopefully they will like your personality enough to look past the looks, or B) aim lower. If you're a 3/10 don't go chasing 9/10 men. IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK.

Unless you're rich as ****.

Sorry for sounding brutal but you asked for an honest answer.
Original post by Iron Lady
Why would they "prefer" them if they didn't have as much in common with them as another girl? Most people don't form relationships based on how they think others will perceive their relationship, if they do, that is for the wrong reasons.

There aren't any universal reasons why people form relationships.

It's not just about relationships. It's also about sex.

When guys see me, I want guys to think "I would have sex with that". That would make me happy.

Sure, I would love to think I'm "relationship material", but I also want the knowledge that I'm worthy of having sex with guys.

To feel an orgasm with a guy you want must be (one of the) best things ever. And I can't have that.
Original post by Maid Marian
I'm with you ISA.
If a girl is not at least moderately pretty, she may as well not exist. Simple fact, because no boy would ever look at her and therefore her existence is worthless.

That's how I feel genuinely. It just makes me question my whole existence.
Original post by Care-Free
¬.¬ and women never judge men on looks do we :rolleyes: It's also really harsh to the men who do infact go for the less obviously pretty girls, plenty of girls have boyfriends when they'd be considered ugly, its the " oh my god im so ugly all guys are dicks cause you wont look at me cause im ugly look how ugly and horrifically insecure i am LOOK AT IT!!!" that puts guys off.

If anything men have it harder, us ugly chicks and throw on a bit of slap, shove something down our bra and no ones any the wiser, unfortunately men are stuck looking like that.

And generally beauty is the eye of the beholder for example Brad pitt is often the go-to example of the epitome of hot guys but i think he looks like a fish..and not an attractive one..

Everyone judges on looks but it is far, FAR harder for a girl. A girl has to be PHYSICALLY attractive - period. There are ways for men to get around this. I can't. I cannot.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
oh totally, but it's far from the be all and end all

You say that, but you would judge me on my looks if you were to see me, and as a result you would hate me. You hate me.
Original post by LSeeber1
The first thing you notice about a woman is their appearance. Any guy who says looks don't matter is lying to themselves. Don't get me wrong, personality is a big part of being attracted to someone, but looks no doubt come first.

Men don't hate ugly women. Men hate people who give them a reason to hate them. Being ugly isn't a reason, so if men hate you then you must be doing something wrong.

Note to ugly women: If you're having no look with men and think it's a result of your looks, either A) get to know them and hopefully they will like your personality enough to look past the looks, or B) aim lower. If you're a 3/10 don't go chasing 9/10 men. IT'S NOT GOING TO WORK.

Unless you're rich as ****.

Sorry for sounding brutal but you asked for an honest answer.

Thank you. What are your genuine opinions on ugly girls like myself?

Are you sure you don't hate ugly women? I know I've been hated on because I'm ugly. Even by other girls.
----
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest