The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can anybody recommend to me a good Spanish textbook for a beginner, por favor?
Original post by wrexhamfc

How do you plan on learning? Is this for a qualification? If it is, consider getting the official book. If it is not, it depends on your preferred learning style. If you prefer heavy grammar, I personally love the old 1970s Teach Yourselfs and the Hugo DK series of books. If you prefer listening and reading from the offset, by graded readers or join www.lingq.com (although there are fees for more features).
Reply 262

The Collins books are good. You can the complete set of four for about £30 I think and theres a dictionary, vocab book, grammar book and something else maybe? There could be just three, I'm not sure but I used them to help me with German during my degree.
Original post by constantmeowage
How do you plan on learning? Is this for a qualification? If it is, consider getting the official book. If it is not, it depends on your preferred learning style. If you prefer heavy grammar, I personally love the old 1970s Teach Yourselfs and the Hugo DK series of books. If you prefer listening and reading from the offset, by graded readers or join www.lingq.com (although there are fees for more features).

I consider myself to be big on grammar - I'll check that out, thanks!
Original post by xJessx
The Collins books are good. You can the complete set of four for about £30 I think and theres a dictionary, vocab book, grammar book and something else maybe? There could be just three, I'm not sure but I used them to help me with German during my degree.

I found a 720 page Collins book with grammar, verbs and vocab but it's described as "not a standalone learning tool", rather as something to supplement your other methods. Could you recommend another book to go with it?
Reply 265
I found a 720 page Collins book with grammar, verbs and vocab but it's described as "not a standalone learning tool", rather as something to supplement your other methods. Could you recommend another book to go with it?

Um, unfortunately not because I started learning at school when I was 12 so I don't remember the books we used and also they weren't that interesting.

For a beginner, in general, I recommend the BBC's free program: http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/ it's really basic and starts with the Spanish alphabet.

Also, use the Collins grammar books and maybe look into some other language programs. They don't have to be really expensive like Rosetta Stone but things like Living Language and the 'Complete...' series are designed to take you from beginner to upper intermediate. The only thing is, I've never successfully managed it with one of these programs although I'm using the Living Language Russian one now and so far I like it.

Buena suerte!
De godin van het weer is dronken en verward!
Die Göttin des Wetters ist betrunken und verwirrt!
The goddesss of the weather is drunk and confused!
Original post by thatitootoo
De godin van het weer is dronken en verward!
Die Göttin des Wetters ist betrunken und verwirrt!
The goddesss of the weather is drunk and confused!

Ik wil het Nederlands spreken, maar ik heb nooit de tijd om het te doen. :frown: Waarom spreek je het Nederlands? :smile:
Ik wil het Nederlands spreken, maar ik heb nooit de tijd om het te doen. :frown: Waarom spreek je het Nederlands? :smile:

Ik herinner me je van mijn thread! Jij deed A-level Duits toch!? Hoe gaat het met je? En heb jij je examens nog gehaald vorig jaar??? :wink:
Ja, ik ben in Nederland geboren hé! (maar Nederlands is mijn tweede taal)
Hoezo, heb jij dan Nederlands geleerd? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Ik herinner me je van mijn thread! Jij deed A-level Duits toch!? Hoe gaat het met je? En heb jij je examens nog gehaald vorig jaar??? :wink:
Ja, ik ben in Nederland geboren hé! (maar Nederlands is mijn tweede taal)
Hoezo, heb jij dan Nederlands geleerd? :smile:

Ja, wow ik verbaas me! Ik herinner me je ook! :eek: Nee, ik doe nog mijn A Levels! :frown: Ik zal hen in juni doen, en ik kan tegenwoordig geen Nederlands leren. Er is voor mij nog veel Nederlands te leren :frown: (Sorry, er zijn veel vergissingen!)

Wat doe je tegenwoordig? :redface: :smile:
Ja, wow ik verbaas me! Ik herinner me je ook! :eek: Nee, ik doe nog mijn A Levels! :frown: Ik zal hen in juni doen, en ik kan tegenwoordig geen Nederlands leren. Er is voor mij nog veel Nederlands te leren :frown: (Sorry, er zijn veel vergissingen!)

Wat doe je tegenwoordig? :redface: :smile:

Ohhh :smile: welke andere vakken doe je ook alweer voor A-level? Haha geeft niks hoor, ik kan jou heel goed verstaan, ga zo door! :wink:
En ik ben nogsteeds van plan om Duits te leren! lol
Ohhh :smile: welke andere vakken doe je ook alweer voor A-level? Haha geeft niks hoor, ik kan jou heel goed verstaan, ga zo door! :wink:
En ik ben nogsteeds van plan om Duits te leren! lol

Het Frans en het Spaans! Ik doe alleen talen! :P

Vind je dat het Duits vanwege het Nederlands gemakkelijker is? :smile:

Lekker! Jij bent zo gelukig! Als ik jou vakken kon doen, zou ik nooit een dag school willen missen! :cool: haha. Dus welke vak heb jij dan laten vallen in "year 12"?
Ehmmm om eerlijk te zeggen, het is vanwege de overeenkomsten tussen de twee talen waarom ik Duits durfde te leren! Er zijn nou ook wel veel verschillen (vooral met het spreektaal) maar ik vind dat de overeenkomsten dat toch wel uitschakelen! :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)

Wollen Sie heute Abend mit mir tanzen? :wink:
Wil jij vanavond met mij dansen? :wink: :wink:
Reply 274
こんばんは。
Wollen Sie heute Abend mit mir tanzen? :wink:
Wil jij vanavond met mij dansen? :wink: :wink:

Ich hab zwei Linke Hände :frown: