The Student Room Group

America republic or oligarchy?

The United States of America was not set up as a democracy it was set up as a constituional republic to protect Americans from the adverse effects of democracy.

Yet a lot of Americans are not happy with the current political circumstances believing they have little say in government, that their vote makes no diffrence, that the states have lost all sovereignty, that there only is two parties that you can vote for, that those two parties are esentially the same, that the government does not care about protecting individual rights and creating a fair society, has sold itself out to cooperations and is now run by a rich elite - in other words the nation has went from republic to oligarchy.

Is America still a republic or is it now an oligarchy?

What can be done to strengthen the republic?

Does the constitution need amended?

Do the people need more say in government?

Will the European Union go the same way as America and will it become an oligarchy?

What would the founding fathers make of America today?
(edited 11 years ago)
Great question IMO. Yes America is an oligarchy as its effectively run by its financial institution, and pressure from international alliances. Note EVERY U.S President has to have good relations with Israel.

And yes the EU is moving towards an Oligarchy IMO. Aswell as Britain, we have 3 main parties, and a lot of people on here whom argue against oligarchies in business etc, but then rush to denounce political parties such as UKIP whom wish to break the one thats developing in mainstream politics.

The ones that argue for democracy are the ones that love the EU even though the main powers in the EU are all unelected.

They are all deluded.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
As someone who lived there for the first 15 years of my life I can say that America is a republic that is heavily influenced by enterprise (just like any other democracy in the world) and there is no way around this influence. However, the industry can be controlled effectively using the current model operated by unbiased people (virtually impossible). It is widely known that certain regulators are controlled by the industry they're designed to regulate but the tycoons etc are still in check by the people through the judiciary (a class action can destroy even the most rigidly entrenched company).

The founding father would highly disapprove of the current state of affairs as one of the main principle established by them was non-intervention in foreign affairs which was first defied by Roosevelt.
Original post by Jordan-James
Great question IMO. Yes America is an oligarchy as its effectively run by its financial institution, and pressure from international alliances. Note EVERY U.S President has to have good relations with Israel.

What on earth does that last point have to do with anything? Unless you think there's a particular group of people who run said businesses? The Jews, perhaps?
I said nothing about Jews, i said the USA's financial institution has a large say in who becomes President, supporting the fact that its an Oligarchy. My second point is a contributing factor to someones chances of becoming President, they're relations with Israel.

Are you disagreeing with what I am saying? If so list reasons rather than denouncing my post.
Original post by Jordan-James
I said nothing about Jews, i said the USA's financial institution has a large say in who becomes President, supporting the fact that its an Oligarchy. My second point is a contributing factor to someones chances of becoming President, they're relations with Israel.

Are you disagreeing with what I am saying? If so list reasons rather than denouncing my post.

It seems odd to me that you'd choose to bring up the relationship with Israel when it's obvious to anyone who has a basic understanding of US politics that, apart from Israel having consistent support amongst the wider population, the president is obligated to be nice towards the Saudis, the Europeans, the Turks, etc. It is not a solely Israel-orientated bias.
Hence in my first post i said pressure from international alliances in general, then gave Israel as its a good example??????

Plus its isnt odd, if you watch the news recently youll find stories about Obama in the middle east and the main focus is relations with Israel.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending