The Student Room Group

Applying to DClinPsych as an International Student

Hello everyone! I am from Pakistan and have done my MS in Clinical Psychology with very good CGPA. I intend to apply for DClinPsych in the UK and I need information regarding funding. Please let me know how can I apply for NHS funding and am I eligible for that? Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks
Original post by halima.khurshid
Hello everyone! I am from Pakistan and have done my MS in Clinical Psychology with very good CGPA. I intend to apply for DClinPsych in the UK and I need information regarding funding. Please let me know how can I apply for NHS funding and am I eligible for that? Looking forward to hearing from you all. Thanks

All the answers you're looking for are on this page, which is about funding for international applications for DClinPsych courses in the UK. Essentially it says that for the place to be funded by the NHS, "you need to have the right to work in the UK without restriction. A student visa is not enough for an NHS place on clinical psychology training."

Do you have the right to work in the UK without restriction?
PP is right that you would have to have the right to work in the UK already, as a NHS funded DClinPsy is actually a job (and a hyper competitive one to get at that). Before you do that, you would also have to have a BPS recognised degree. Most international psychology degrees are not.

Be very cautious about being offered expensive masters and conversion courses that say they are a sure route to a DClinPsy. Universities use them as a cash cow, and many sign up for them but I have never seen an international graduate without right to work get onto a DClinPsy (and I have been supervising DClinPsy trainees for over 10 years now).

Pre Brexit EU was possible though, but I have come across a lot of disappointed Indian, Chinese and Pakistani students who have fallen for that dream and it doesn't sit right with me.
Hello. I am currently in UK on student visa. I am studying MSc. Applied Child Psychology. Currently, I have the right to work status in UK (part-time during term) and (full-time after term). My course is completing in September and after that I will not have any work restrictions. Am I eligible for NHS funded place now?
Original post by halima.khurshid
Hello. I am currently in UK on student visa. I am studying MSc. Applied Child Psychology. Currently, I have the right to work status in UK (part-time during term) and (full-time after term). My course is completing in September and after that I will not have any work restrictions. Am I eligible for NHS funded place now?
Please see the below from Leeds Clearing House. If you meet one of these criteria you may be eligible for a funded place, if not it is self-funded. I recommend speaking to the courses you are interested in applying to individually.

You will normally have home fees status if you are in one of the groups A-E.
a) You are settled in the UK as: a UK national or a Republic of Ireland national or you have Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter (ILR/E)

AND you have lived in the UK or the Republic of Ireland for the last three years

AND during that time your residence was not only for full-time education

b) You are a UK national

AND you were living in the EEA/Switzerland on 31 December 2020 and have continued to live there since

c) You are an EU national with settled status or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme

AND you have lived in the UK/EEA/Switzerland for the last three years

d) The UK government has: recognised you as a refugee or granted you humanitarian protection or granted you stateless leave

AND you have lived in the UK since you were granted this status

e) You have lived in the UK for half your life or for 20 years

AND you have lived in the UK for the last three years

The details above are a based on the information available on the UKCISA website during summer 2023.
For any of the following you should check the UKCISA website for details about your fees status:

if you are from the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man

if you have a British National (Overseas) passport

if you are a Republic of Ireland national and you have been living elsewhere (i.e. outside the Republic of Ireland or the UK)

If you are not in any of the groups mentioned on this page you should check the UKCISA website for details about your fees status.
If you are unsure about your fees status please see the UKCISA website for more information.

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK's national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them

I have read it on the Clearing House website. Course centres in Scotland don’t have the requirement of home fee status. They just look for a work status without any restriction. I will be having full time work status after September and I will be applying for Postgraduate Work Visa (2years) in January. Also, my husband will start working soon and I will also have the option of being on dependent visa that will also give me full on work status. This is how I have thought about it but I am not sure if they consider me for nhs funded place
(edited 1 month ago)
As your situation is specific, you need to talk to the courses you are interested, as no one here will be able to advise you accurately.

The other thing to consider is what work experience typical trainees have who get on courses as it not just about qualifications and right to work, as it is a brutally competitive process. You can read the Clinical Psychology FAQ and threads on clinspy.org.uk to get more of an idea.

Quick Reply

Latest