The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on im so academic?

Scroll to see replies

Well one of the encounters I've had with you was a few years ago when you made this thread which was blatantly attention seeking asking if a zillion( of course I'm exaggerating) A*s at GCSE were enough for a course I think it was medicine, one of the things I disliked about that thread was how in the title instead of going xA*s you went and wrote out A*s, and then went on to lament how it wasn't going to be good enough..
I think some things have happened to you which make you want to take out your frustrations/ live a life on an Internet forum testing out your opinions as well as sometimes being controversial for controversys sake and being attention seeking

Yet your bluntness is sometimes what is needed, I admire that you are confident enough to voice your opinions and for example with the Oxbridge vs Manchester thread I found your reply was perfect and completely in the right. But the reason it got so many negs was partly because of this mob mentality which is on TSR sometimes where people think that other people are finding it offensive so should I. also because your reputation precedes you with people instantly thinking this has to be wrong because it is by you.

I suffer from self esteem issues as well and I think a huge part in overcoming these problems is to stop attacking yourself and ever time you are about to post something like I am ugly etc just say no I'm not etc and ignore those thoughts.

I also think that you put too much value into physical beauty just because society has deemed it important does not mean it is. And it is a vicious cycle with it being considered very important in society because people think it is important as society tells them it is.

And tbh I truly believe you will one day find a person who will love you and you will realise if you haven't by then that you are not as ugly as you think you are, physical beauty int he grand scheme of things is pretty irrelevant that the opinion of other people especially on TSR aren't that important and that you are just as worthy as everyone else. And I think in reality you are a pretty nice person

But what do I know I'm just a random person on an Internet forum, my post is just advice and my opinion but just plz don't put such a heavy importance on the judgements of people on TSR etc
I think you messaged me once about maths homework, its good to see you again ISA, the place isn't the same without you
Reply 182
Original post by im so academic
What? I'm hardly the most ugly girl in the world.

you inferred you were the way you were talking in your other thread, nice to see you say something mildly positive
i dont understand the constant need for validation though :frown:
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Well one of the encounters I've had with you was a few years ago when you made this thread which was blatantly attention seeking asking if a zillion( of course I'm exaggerating) A*s at GCSE were enough for a course I think it was medicine, one of the things I disliked about that thread was how in the title instead of going xA*s you went and wrote out A*s, and then went on to lament how it wasn't going to be good enough..
I think some things have happened to you which make you want to take out your frustrations/ live a life on an Internet forum testing out your opinions as well as sometimes being controversial for controversys sake and being attention seeking

Yet your bluntness is sometimes what is needed, I admire that you are confident enough to voice your opinions and for example with the Oxbridge vs Manchester thread I found your reply was perfect and completely in the right. But the reason it got so many negs was partly because of this mob mentality which is on TSR sometimes where people think that other people are finding it offensive so should I. also because your reputation precedes you with people instantly thinking this has to be wrong because it is by you.

I suffer from self esteem issues as well and I think a huge part in overcoming these problems is to stop attacking yourself and ever time you are about to post something like I am ugly etc just say no I'm not etc and ignore those thoughts.

I also think that you put too much value into physical beauty just because society has deemed it important does not mean it is. And it is a vicious cycle with it being considered very important in society because people think it is important as society tells them it is.

And tbh I truly believe you will one day find a person who will love you and you will realise if you haven't by then that you are not as ugly as you think you are, physical beauty int he grand scheme of things is pretty irrelevant that the opinion of other people especially on TSR aren't that important and that you are just as worthy as everyone else. And I think in reality you are a pretty nice person

But what do I know I'm just a random person on an Internet forum, my post is just advice and my opinion but just plz don't put such a heavy importance on the judgements of people on TSR etc

Thank you for that detailed post. I really appreciate it.

Oh? And what will they do? I fail to see how counseling actually helps.

When you come out with increasingly negative, bulls**t posts like this, it's hard for people to sympathize. Will all the best will in the world, you have to help yourself! Get yourself to counselling - until you've experienced it, you have no right to comment on how effective it is. As someone who has had counselling, let me tell you, I found it very helpful.

Do you really want to go through life being a bitter, negative, self loathing person?
Original post by usamakhanlodhi

You don't think it was anything to do with her telling them to **** off to Manchester then?
I wasn't putting you down, I was merely stating that the way you would act towards me on here would be entirely different if you met me at Edinburgh.

Sorry, I wasn't clear: I didn't mean put me, as a person, down. But more shutting me down. :tongue:

Yeah, I might act differently - there's always a difference between how people act on the internet and how they act in real life, but I don't see how that means I wouldn't be nice to you. This is the cynical side of you showing here; like you, I try to be nice to everyone that I meet, regardless of how attractive they are. I've never seen someone and thought "they're too ugly to hug or be worth my time and kindness". People are a lot friendlier than you're giving them credit for.
I genuinely believe I'd be quite happy to sit down and have a chat with you if I bumped into you here.

I'm nice. I can be nice. But put it this you, when you've suffered so many through many years and received a lot of **** from people, that's obviously going to affect you.

I know it must suck for you, imso. It really does sound like you've been treated awfully, and I can definitely empathise with why you act the way that you do, but there comes a time where you have to be willing to help yourself. I've seen LOADS of people be really nice and compassionate with you on TSR, but it's never changed anything because you're not willing to help yourself or change your mind. I'm sure almost everyone on this forum would rather that you were happy with yourself, than not.

Oh? And what will they do? I fail to see how counseling actually helps.

How would it help? There's lots of evidence of its efficacy! From mental health disorders relating to mood, personality and anxiety right through to straight up self-image issues; there's lots of literature that looks at psychological treatments and shows they're efficacious. You only have to do a quick PubMed, Scholar, textbook or even Wikipedia search to find that out!
Original post by Damask-
She's so pathetic. Let me tell you something about imsoacademic. We were best friends in middle school. I know, right? It's so embarrassing. I don't even... Whatever. So then in eighth grade, I started going out with my first boyfriend Kyle who was totally gorgeous but then he moved to Indiana, and imsoacademic was like, weirdly jealous of him. Like, if I would blow her off to hang out with Kyle, she'd be like, "Why didn't you call me back?" And I'd be like, "Why are you so obsessed with me?" So then, for my birthday party, which was an all-girls pool party, I was like, "imsoacademic, I can't invite you, because I think you're lesbian." I mean I couldn't have a lesbian at my party. There were gonna be girls there in their *bathing suits*. I mean, right? She was a LESBIAN. So then her mom called my mom and started yelling at her, it was so retarded. And then she dropped out of school because no one would talk to her, and she came back in the fall for high school, all of her hair was cut off and she was totally weird, and now I guess she's on crack.

This made me LOL
Original post by Goody2Shoes-x
When you come out with increasingly negative, bulls**t posts like this, it's hard for people to sympathize. Will all the best will in the world, you have to help yourself! Get yourself to counselling - until you've experienced it, you have no right to comment on how effective it is. As someone who has had counselling, let me tell you, I found it very helpful.

Do you really want to go through life being a bitter, negative, self loathing person?

I just don't know what happens in counseling besides talking.

(Oh btw, I have had counseling before).
Reply 189
You have a crap nickname.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Sorry, I wasn't clear: I didn't mean put me, as a person, down. But more shutting me down. :tongue:

Yeah, I might act differently - there's always a difference between how people act on the internet and how they act in real life, but I don't see how that means I wouldn't be nice to you. This is the cynical side of you showing here; like you, I try to be nice to everyone that I meet, regardless of how attractive they are. I've never seen someone and thought "they're too ugly to hug or be worth my time and kindness". People are a lot friendlier than you're giving them credit for.
I genuinely believe I'd be quite happy to sit down and have a chat with you if I bumped into you here.

Nothing personal, but I find that hard to believe. Isn't it normal to think like that?

I know it must suck for you, imso. It really does sound like you've been treated awfully, and I can definitely empathise with why you act the way that you do, but there comes a time where you have to be willing to help yourself. I've seen LOADS of people be really nice and compassionate with you on TSR, but it's never changed anything because you're not willing to help yourself or change your mind. I'm sure almost everyone on this forum would rather that you were happy with yourself, than not.

I've been helping myself for a long, long time now. I can't rely on anyone else.

How would it help? There's lots of evidence of its efficacy! From mental health disorders relating to mood, personality and anxiety right through to straight up self-image issues; there's lots of literature that looks at psychological treatments and shows they're efficacious. You only have to do a quick PubMed, Scholar, textbook or even Wikipedia search to find that out!

From just talking? I'm shocked.
I just don't know what happens in counseling besides talking.

(Oh btw, I have had counseling before).

Well, sometimes you can have different types of therapy in counselling too... it depends on what type of problems you have.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
You don't think it was anything to do with her telling them to **** off to Manchester then?

I did say the word partly in the post:tongue: but no to be honest I think that was just her brand of expressing her frustration and people on this forum have said much meaner things and been much less helpful and have not got anywhere near the amount if negative reps she got for that.
What if "imso" was created by the owners of TSR to make the place more interesting and provide a talking point to help spread the word? She, that is assuming she is a she rather than a they did stop posting roughly when TSR made it.
Reply 194
In real life, obviously.

No, they aren't. Men aren't a magic cure to anything. We can help alleviate small problems, but that's about it, and it especially doesn't come because of "our touch".
Get a life!!...who gives a sheeet about your academic's, this is just attention seeking. When you go out in the real world and start working, and take your head out of your arrrrrrsee, you'll look back at this post and be propa embarrassed. I'm 18 and i'm a straight A student i dont show off about it. GROW UP!
Nothing personal, but I find that hard to believe. Isn't it normal to think like that?

I wouldn't say so. I've certainly looked at people and found them ugly; I've certainly experienced having no attraction to someone at all, but that doesn't mean I won't be friendly or nice to them. Would I want a sexual relationship with them? 99% of the time, no, probably not. Would that mean I don't want to be nice to them? Hell no, and I certainly don't know anyone who thinks otherwise, or witnessed anyone acting otherwise.

It's also worth noting that personality does play a big role in how attractive you find someone. I've met people who I initially thought were unattractive, then have been attracted to them after getting to know them.

I've been helping myself for a long, long time now. I can't rely on anyone else.

I'm honestly glad to here you do want to be better, but you're still so cynical, isa. I can understand why you're so cynical, and I can't blame you for it, but putting trust in people will go a long way to making things better.

From just talking? I'm shocked.

Yeah, I know, right? It's crazy how much it can help, but it makes complete sense when you think about it. Treatment of mental health issues can include psychological and medical interventions, though, and the experts have an idea of what kind of help to give a person. :smile:
What? I don't want to be liked for the sake of being liked.

I've played that game of changing the very nature of myself in order to fit in. Acting like a different person so people like me. Doing things so people can see that I'm actually an ok person.

It wasn't worth it.

You know what, if people don't like me when I change myself in order to fit in and they don't like me when I'm myself, then **** it, I'm going to act as the person I truly am.

I just haven't met the right group of people yet.

I've never been right-wing, anti-gay marriage, pro-life, etc. I'm not sad enough to change 'the very nature of myself' so I can get a good rep on TSR.

And I don't particularly fit in anywhere else. What are you trying to say?
Original post by sugar-n-spice
What if "imso" was created by the owners of TSR to make the place more interesting and provide a talking point to help spread the word? She, that is assuming she is a she rather than a they did stop posting roughly when TSR made it.

Lol, no.

Original post by CJKay
No, they aren't. Men aren't a magic cure to anything. We can help alleviate small problems, but that's about it, and it especially doesn't come because of "our touch".

Bull****. It is a solution to my problems.

Honestly, if I were to go to a counselor, they would just think that I'm a sex-starved maniac if anything.

Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I wouldn't say so. I've certainly looked at people and found them ugly; I've certainly experienced having no attraction to someone at all, but that doesn't mean I won't be friendly or nice to them. Would I want a sexual relationship with them? 99% of the time, no, probably not. Would that mean I don't want to be nice to them? Hell no, and I certainly don't know anyone who thinks otherwise, or witnessed anyone acting otherwise.

We have different experiences because I know lots of people who treat me like **** because of the way I look.

It's also worth noting that personality does play a big role in how attractive you find someone. I've met people who I initially thought were unattractive, then have been attracted to them after getting to know them.

Many people never get to know me because they just don't like the way i look.

I'm honestly glad to here you do want to be better, but you're still so cynical, isa. I can understand why you're so cynical, and I can't blame you for it, but putting trust in people will go a long way to making things better.

I do put trust in people, but they push you away. It's not easy living life all alone when you have no one to depend on.

Yeah, I know, right? It's crazy how much it can help, but it makes complete sense when you think about it. Treatment of mental health issues can include psychological and medical interventions, though, and the experts have an idea of what kind of help to give a person. :smile:

SSRIs aren't a solution.
Original post by Bonoahx
I've never been right-wing, anti-gay marriage, pro-life, etc. I'm not sad enough to change 'the very nature of myself' so I can get a good rep on TSR.

And I don't particularly fit in anywhere else. What are you trying to say?

Why should I change who I am just to be liked?

Quick Reply

Latest