The Student Room Group

Politics personal statement

Guys is it okay to have your political stance towards a certain government/ideology in your personal statement? Or will that show your not a flexible thinker. I read a book that criticised this one government and I talked about what I learnt from it and my opinion. Is this too argumentative and biased?
Your PS should be about why you want to STUDY politics as an academic subject. It isn’t a pitch to be a politician.

If the staff reading your PS profoundly disagree with your personal political opinions then how do you think what you’re writing will go down? Keep that in mind as you’re writing and you should strike the right balance.
Original post by hahaaddie
Guys is it okay to have your political stance towards a certain government/ideology in your personal statement? Or will that show your not a flexible thinker. I read a book that criticised this one government and I talked about what I learnt from it and my opinion. Is this too argumentative and biased?

Hi there, I previously studied politics at University and I would recommend more if you could say that the book you read perhaps has encouraged you to further your knowledge and passion for politics which is why you would want to study it further. As you don't know who will be reading your personal statement and as a result their political views.

I hope this helps.

Sasha, Graduate Advocate.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Your PS should be about why you want to STUDY politics as an academic subject. It isn’t a pitch to be a politician.

If the staff reading your PS profoundly disagree with your personal political opinions then how do you think what you’re writing will go down? Keep that in mind as you’re writing and you should strike the right balance.

fully aware of that. ive spoken about a topic im extremely passionate about and used the wider reading about it ( which happened to be a critique) to explain what ive learnt from it ABOUT politics. i have not criticised the idelogy myself just built on the academic's view. e.g manipulation of the media to enforce nationalism. is that okay?
Reply 4
Hope University)
Hi there, I previously studied politics at University and I would recommend more if you could say that the book you read perhaps has encouraged you to further your knowledge and passion for politics which is why you would want to study it further. As you don't know who will be reading your personal statement and as a result their political views.

I hope this helps.

Sasha, Graduate Advocate.

fully aware of that. ive spoken about a topic im extremely passionate about and used the wider reading about it ( which happened to be a critique) to explain what ive learnt from it ABOUT politics. i have not criticised the idelogy myself just built on the academic's view. e.g manipulation of the media to enforce nationalism. is that okay?
Original post by hahaaddie

Yes, you're allowed to do that. Studying politics at university requires critically analysing certain governments, ideologies and states. Try and keep things academic, though, and if you're referring to that academic's personal views, make sure that's clear. I can't really say much else without the specifics of what you're discussing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending