The Student Room Group

Best playmaker of the last 20 years?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by yaboy
Berkamp was arsenals best player ever IMO and wold class so should be put along side alonso but not Kaka, Kaka in his prime was a far superior player to xavi for me and I could not really split him apart from inesta but thats at his absolute peak.

One player I think should be on this list is Deco, where the hell is Deco?

From what your saying iniesta is a lot better than xavi? It's hard to really call between the two, I could go either way. Deco was good but not in the same league as xavi/iniesta/zidane

Posted from TSR Mobile
I voted Zidane because he was the best on the list but he was a playmaker-plus, he wasn't just a playmaker.

As others have noted I am surprised at the omission of Bergkamp who seems to be generally underrated but was an incredible talent, IMO he was the best player that has played in the Premier League.

I agree with yaboy too, people forget how good Deco was as he wasn't that good when he came to Chelsea.

Also you could have included Cantona on this list.
Reply 22
Original post by LewisG123
From what your saying iniesta is a lot better than xavi? It's hard to really call between the two, I could go either way. Deco was good but not in the same league as xavi/iniesta/zidane

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a fan of xavi at all I think hes highly overrated. I can see barca surviving without him tbh but without inesta I think they'll struggle a lot. As for Deco, you seriously dont think he was one of the best?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 23
I could put easily five players ahead of him probably more. Don't get me wrong he was a good player but Xavi and Iniesta are players people will talk about in 50 years, I can't see the same for Deco really

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deco was great, really great, but I agree he wasn't Iniesta/Xavi levels of greatness.
Reply 25
I could put easily five players ahead of him probably more. Don't get me wrong he was a good player but Xavi and Iniesta are players people will talk about in 50 years, I can't see the same for Deco really

Posted from TSR Mobile

No one talks about Gabril Batistuta yet he is still regarded as one of greatest strikers of all time by many. Not all of the greats are remembered well enough IMO, not everyone can be as lucky as Heskey.
Paul Scholes easily. The likes of Xavi and Iniesta look up to him. Even Xavi said that Scholes was the best midfielder of the last 20 years.
Reply 27
Deco never really performed outside of Portugal. A massive dent on is credibility to be imcluded in this topic. Also, I'm averse to putting Ronaldinho on the list, as orgasmic as he was and he also provided us with some of the greatest moments in space of 2 seasona, I think we need to realise that he wasn't consistent enough. Consistency should be the greatest measure in this sort of list.
Reply 28
Original post by yaboy
No one talks about Gabril Batistuta yet he is still regarded as one of greatest strikers of all time by many. Not all of the greats are remembered well enough IMO, not everyone can be as lucky as Heskey.

Batistuta wasn't a playmaker though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Batistuta wasn't a playmaker though

Posted from TSR Mobile

my point was that he wont be remembered in 50 years but he will still be one of the best
Reply 30
Original post by anonstudent1
He wasn't a play maker in his prime though. He was a right winger.

True. He wasn't a playmaker as such sitting back infront of the defenders but one his best qualities was pinpoint crosses and passes around the park.
Reply 31
Original post by yaboy
my point was that he wont be remembered in 50 years but he will still be one of the best

But not at the same standard as strikers who will be remembered for the next 50 years like van basten, muller, pele, puskas etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
But not at the same standard as strikers who will be remembered for the next 50 years like van basten, muller, pele, puskas etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

he was better than van basten, van basten is only known for that stupid goal in the euros lol
I'd go with Eric Cantona.
Reply 34
Original post by yaboy
he was better than van basten, van basten is only known for that stupid goal in the euros lol

And for winning a horde of trophies and having great goal scoring records. That often separates the great players, how successful they were. To say van basten was only known for a great goal (one of the best volleys ever) is very ignorant and shows a lack of knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
And for winning a horde of trophies and having great goal scoring records. That often separates the great players, how successful they were. To say van basten was only known for a great goal (one of the best volleys ever) is very ignorant and shows a lack of knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

you dare question my football knowledge :eek::eek:
Reply 36
Original post by yaboy
you dare question my football knowledge :eek::eek:

I'd question anyone's football knowledge if they claim Marco van Basten is known for scoring one goal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Stu Laverty
I have an issue with some of the players in this poll because it sometimes confuses attacking midfielders for playmakers. Some attacking midfielders can be playmakers (Zidane, Riquelme, for example), but some are definitely not (Totti was never a playmaker).

For a deeper playmaker, it's difficult to argue against Xavi, who is an all-time great footballer and one of the best ever in his position. Won everything, MOTM performances in big games, consistent, great range of passing and exceptional movement. My honourable mention would go to Pirlo.

For a more advanced playmaker, I have to agree with those who say Zidane. Again, big performances, the ability to control a game and drag teams single handedly. After Zidane, I'd say Rui Costa was the next best. People often forget how good he was in the late 90's and early 00's (probably because there was a load of fantastic players also playing in that position).

It's hard to define Totti as a player but I think in Italy they call him a trequartista which is akin to a playmaking forward. I guess his inclusion is contentious though. I agree with the rest of your post.
Reply 38
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I voted Zidane because he was the best on the list but he was a playmaker-plus, he wasn't just a playmaker.

As others have noted I am surprised at the omission of Bergkamp who seems to be generally underrated but was an incredible talent, IMO he was the best player that has played in the Premier League.

I agree with yaboy too, people forget how good Deco was as he wasn't that good when he came to Chelsea.

Also you could have included Cantona on this list.

I thought of Cantona and Bergkamp as second strikers as opposed to playmakers, but I guess if I included Totti I should have included them aswell.
Reply 39
As soon as I saw the title of the thread two words came into my head...Zinedene Zidane.

Quick Reply

Latest