The Student Room Group

A-level maths advice

Hi im currently in year 12 and studying AS-levels in biology, chemistry and physics

I only did foundation at GCSE so I got a C. I am going to teach myself GCSE higher maths and sit the exam in November and hopefully get a A*/A. My school only allow students with a B to do A-level maths so I could not pick it however in September when we go back I will do a mock paper for GCSE maths and if I achieve a B or higher I can do the AS-level :smile:

I was just wondering: If I get an A* in the mock paper then im going to ask if I can do the whole A-level in one year and drop biology do you think this is possible? (I would want to achieve an A really) (I am a hard worker and also I love maths and physics)

The reason I want to do maths is because I either want to do maths, physics or chemistry at university and unless I do A-level maths then I would have to do a foundation year.

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to do C1, C2 and FP1 to get an AS-level or do I have to do an applied module like S1, D1 or M1?

thanks for any help you can give :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If you did...

There's an A Level in Pure Mathematics :smile:

C1
C2
FP1

C3
C4
FP2/3
Original post by L'Evil Fish
If you did...

There's an A Level in Pure Mathematics :smile:

C1
C2
FP1

C3
C4
FP2/3

thanks for the reply

Do you know if that is accepted in place of just maths at uni for physics and chemistry or is it best to email them?
Original post by madmadmax321
thanks for the reply

Do you know if that is accepted in place of just maths at uni for physics and chemistry or is it best to email them?

Email them.

For a chemistry degree, further maths would be useful the pure bits :smile:

But I'd say email.
I would email when asking about an A Level in Pure Maths. I think it would be accepted but I couldn't say for sure.

That said, if you're looking into Physics/Chemistry, you could have a Maths A Level with a couple of Mechanics modules, as these would be very useful.
Reply 5
Hi im currently in year 12 and studying AS-levels in biology, chemistry and physics

I only did foundation at GCSE so I got a C. I am going to teach myself GCSE higher maths and sit the exam in November and hopefully get a A*/A. My school only allow students with a B to do A-level maths so I could not pick it however in September when we go back I will do a mock paper for GCSE maths and if I achieve a B or higher I can do the AS-level :smile:

I was just wondering: If I get an A* in the mock paper then im going to ask if I can do the whole A-level in one year and drop biology do you think this is possible? (I would want to achieve an A really) (I am a hard worker and also I love maths and physics)

The reason I want to do maths is because I either want to do maths, physics or chemistry at university and unless I do A-level maths then I would have to do a foundation year.

This might be a stupid question but is it possible to do C1, C2 and FP1 to get an AS-level or do I have to do an applied module like S1, D1 or M1?

thanks for any help you can give :smile:

If you're interesting in doing a Physics degree, C1-C4 with M1 and M2 would probably be advisable (should you only take single maths).
Original post by DJMayes
I would email when asking about an A Level in Pure Maths. I think it would be accepted but I couldn't say for sure.

That said, if you're looking into Physics/Chemistry, you could have a Maths A Level with a couple of Mechanics modules, as these would be very useful.

Email them.

For a chemistry degree, further maths would be useful the pure bits :smile:

But I'd say email.

thanks for the help guys just going to email them now.

unfortunately I dont think my school school offer the mechanics modules (they might but I dont think they do)

Could either of you give any advice on the difficulty of doing the whole A-level in one year to A grade standard?
thanks for the help guys just going to email them now.

unfortunately I dont think my school school offer the mechanics modules (they might but I dont think they do)

Could either of you give any advice on the difficulty of doing the whole A-level in one year to A grade standard?

It CAN be fairly easy, BUT you have a C grade in GCSE maths right now, so it'll take a lot more work.

I don't think you can take what DJ Mayes says about it's ease with much because he's probably in the top % of the country and so wouldn't be representative.
Original post by justinawe
If you're interesting in doing a Physics degree, C1-C4 with M1 and M2 would probably be advisable (should you only take single maths).

when you say single maths do you mean only doing maths and not doing further maths as well?
It CAN be fairly easy, BUT you have a C grade in GCSE maths right now, so it'll take a lot more work.

I don't think you can take what DJ Mayes says about it's ease with much because he's probably in the top % of the country and so wouldn't be representative.

Ok thanks so its definitely possible with a lot of hard work?

To be fair, his C grade was in foundation, so that was the best he could do.

when you say single maths do you mean only doing maths and not doing further maths as well?

Yes, that's right. Further Maths isn't necessary unless you're looking at Imperial/Oxbridge etc though, so don't worry about that.
Ok thanks so its definitely possible with a lot of hard work?

Yes, definitely. I'm doing the course in one year and I'm entirely self taught so you should be fine :smile:

Yes, that's right. Further Maths isn't necessary unless you're looking at Imperial/Oxbridge etc though, so don't worry about that.

Ok thanks I was looking at imperial if I decided to do chemistry though? I'm still undecided on what i want to do but im probably leaning more to physics/maths at the moment
Reply 13

I agree, I got D's twice in the awfully common sense foundation paper and then got a B in higher, like I know this is stupid but I said the height of a man is 6 metres tall (don't ask why) and that cost me my C grade... Higher is the way forward
Yes, definitely. I'm doing the course in one year and I'm entirely self taught so you should be fine :smile:

wow you must be very hard working then! thanks for all your help :smile:
thanks for your reply's all your help is appreciated a lot
Ok thanks I was looking at imperial if I decided to do chemistry though? I'm still undecided on what i want to do but im probably leaning more to physics/maths at the moment

Further Maths probably isn't necessary for a competitive application for Chemistry at Imperial, so you should be fine for that.

A friend of mine got into Bristol for maths without doing Further Maths though, so you can still get into top unis for maths/physics without it.
wow you must be very hard working then! thanks for all your help :smile:

Np :smile:

Further Maths probably isn't necessary for a competitive application for Chemistry at Imperial, so you should be fine for that.

A friend of mine got into Bristol for maths without doing Further Maths though, so you can still get into top unis for maths/physics without it.

But f.maths maths comes up in physical chemistry so it'd give you an edge :smile:
Np :smile:

But f.maths maths comes up in physical chemistry so it'd give you an edge :smile:

Of course it's beneficial, just not necessary/desirable to get onto the course.
Of course it's beneficial, just not necessary/desirable to get onto the course.

Well it gives you an edge, but not a requisite.

Quick Reply

Latest