The Student Room Group

Can I teach a level maths with mathematics and secondary education(qts) bachelors

I am looking at courses to apply for next year, as I’m year 12 now, I want to teach maths at either secondary or a level, and I don’t know if a combined course of both maths and the secondary education qts will count as a maths degree to teach a level, do I need to do a separate maths degree or is this fine
Original post by Hyp3en3rgy
I am looking at courses to apply for next year, as I’m year 12 now, I want to teach maths at either secondary or a level, and I don’t know if a combined course of both maths and the secondary education qts will count as a maths degree to teach a level, do I need to do a separate maths degree or is this fine

One of my colleagues did this course and teaches A level maths. He did not require any knowledge enhancement.
Original post by Hyp3en3rgy

You may well be able to, but honestly, I would just do a maths degree. It will give you many more career options if you end up deciding that teaching isn't for you - and unfortunately, plenty of maths teachers do leave the profession in the first few years, so it's not unlikely.

When teaching A-level, it's also really valuable to be able to talk about 'next steps' and where the topics you are currently learning will lead to at university level - which will be hard to do if you don't have a maths degree yourself. I'm not exactly sure how the degree you're considering works in terms of the split between maths content and maths education content, but I used to have a colleague with a similar qualification, and they effectively had no knowledge at all beyond A-level (they weren't even particularly good at A-level, to be honest).
Original post by bluebeetle
You may well be able to, but honestly, I would just do a maths degree. It will give you many more career options if you end up deciding that teaching isn't for you - and unfortunately, plenty of maths teachers do leave the profession in the first few years, so it's not unlikely.

When teaching A-level, it's also really valuable to be able to talk about 'next steps' and where the topics you are currently learning will lead to at university level - which will be hard to do if you don't have a maths degree yourself. I'm not exactly sure how the degree you're considering works in terms of the split between maths content and maths education content, but I used to have a colleague with a similar qualification, and they effectively had no knowledge at all beyond A-level (they weren't even particularly good at A-level, to be honest).

I think I agree with this advice too.
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle

This is great advice. It will also make you a better maths teacher as you will have a deeper knowledge / understanding of your subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending