The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle vs Strathclyde (need adv/disadv of Newcastle)

Hey, im planning to study mechanical engineering (Meng) next year and am currently deciding between Strathclyde / Newcastle as my firm. I have heard many good reviews about strathclyde, however that was from people from glasgow.. So id like to know your views about which i should choose (as honestly as you can =p ). Thanks in advance. btw i have conditionals for both (AAA). i also have conditionals for glasgow, QUB and herriott-watt.
I can't comment on newcastle, but strathy is not only a fantastic engineering uni with a great reputation for mech eng, glasgow as a city if litterally amazing for students, especially the city centre where strathy is. Strathy SU is massive and the mech eng department is letterally on george square. You would not be disappointed studying at strathy.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
I can't comment on newcastle, but strathy is not only a fantastic engineering uni with a great reputation for mech eng, glasgow as a city if litterally amazing for students, especially the city centre where strathy is. Strathy SU is massive and the mech eng department is letterally on george square. You would not be disappointed studying at strathy.

Thanks for the quick reply. :smile: Whats the accomadtion at strathclyde like? and also internet speed? (random, but affects so much nowadays- i dont game or anything but is it ok for browsing etc.). Also mmm.. anything you dont like about strathclyde? (honest as possible please.) :smile:
Original post by rhamill95
Thanks for the quick reply. :smile: Whats the accomadtion at strathclyde like? and also internet speed? (random, but affects so much nowadays- i dont game or anything but is it ok for browsing etc.). Also mmm.. anything you dont like about strathclyde? (honest as possible please.) :smile:

Ohh I couldn't tell you, I don't actually attend strathy I go to a different uni, but I'm from glasgow and know a lot of people that go to the uni. I would assume the interent is pretty decent as most unis provide decent internet. Probably wont be amazingly quick but around 10meg.
Reply 4
Ohh I couldn't tell you, I don't actually attend strathy I go to a different uni, but I'm from glasgow and know a lot of people that go to the uni. I would assume the interent is pretty decent as most unis provide decent internet. Probably wont be amazingly quick but around 10meg.

ok, good job. I am really favouring strathclyde atm, however have yet to hear advantages of newcastle (and im confused as to why its ranked higher, whenever everyone is saying strathclyde is better.) thanks again :smile:
Original post by rhamill95
ok, good job. I am really favouring strathclyde atm, however have yet to hear advantages of newcastle (and im confused as to why its ranked higher, whenever everyone is saying strathclyde is better.) thanks again :smile:

In terms of engineering i wouldn't say either is necessarily better. When it comes to engineering, providing the course is accredited, it doesn't matter what uni you attend. At least in the case of newcastle vs strathclyde, the difference is minimal and going to either wont put you at a disadvantage. Therefore you should choose the uni you would prefer study at and the city you'd prefer to live in.
Reply 6
In terms of engineering i wouldn't say either is necessarily better. When it comes to engineering, providing the course is accredited, it doesn't matter what uni you attend. At least in the case of newcastle vs strathclyde, the difference is minimal and going to either wont put you at a disadvantage. Therefore you should choose the uni you would prefer study at and the city you'd prefer to live in.

Yes, i suppose so. I prefer the city of glasgow (although ive only been briskly through newcastle). However newcastle course is a year shorter, saving me £7k and getting me into employment earlier.. hmm.. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending