The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Is Durham a nice city?

Someone told me that it isn't very nice, but I find this hard to believe. What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Durham CITY is beautiful, full of good shops, lovely bars and food places. Amazing buildings and nice pubs. Not a big city style but still nice. Like anywhere there is crappy parts but overall it's nice. Dunno about the student life but it's a lovely place
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
If one can call it a city. It's more like a medium sized town. It was very beautiful when I went, but you could probably walk around the whole of it (what's worth seeing) in half an hour.

Each to their own, though. It depends what kind of place you like!
Reply 3
I live 10 miles away. It is really a wonderful city to be in, i often cycle there for a day out. The university is close to both the city and the open countryside and most of the buildings are nice. Some are a bit concrete but not many.

It's an expensive city, and quite touristy but it's a great place to be.

If you're into nightlife there isn't much in the city itself but it's a 10 minute walk to the train station which is a short trip to newcastle city.
Original post by CommonNortherner
Someone told me that it isn't very nice, but I find this hard to believe. What's it like?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm really confused that anyone would tell you this - it's pretty much universally agreed that Durham is a lovely place. Disagreements on the quality of the city only come into topics like shopping and clubbing, which Durham noticeably lacks compared to other universities in larger towns.

My advice would be to go on Google Images, and Google Street View, and have a look for yourself.
Reply 5
It's gorgeous. Why do you think it attracts so many tourists?

Quick Reply

Latest