The Student Room Group

Very quick help

Hi,

How would I complete the square of x^2 - 4root2 + 5 ? I know how to complete the square in general, but don't know how to do this one. Could someone provide a worked solution?
Reply 1
Original post by Alex-Torres
Hi,

How would I complete the square of x^2 - 4root2 + 5 ? I know how to complete the square in general, but don't know how to do this one. Could someone provide a worked solution?

Is that (4root2)*x?
Hi,

Is that supposed to be x242x+5x^2 - 4\sqrt 2 x + 5? As it stands, this is already in 'completed square' form.
Reply 3
Original post by joostan
Is that (4root2)*x?

Yes, sorry! :tongue:
Reply 4
Yes, sorry! :tongue:

x2 + bx + c => (x + b/2)2 - (b/2)2 + c still holds true. It is the same process regardless of the surd. . .
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Is that supposed to be x242x+5x^2 - 4\sqrt 2 x + 5? As it stands, this is already in 'completed square' form.

Eh?
Original post by Mr M
Eh?

By "this", I'm referring to the expression in the OP without the x term, if that clarifies what I meant? (admittedly, my wording was a little lazy).
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
By "this", I'm referring to the expression in the OP without the x term, if that clarifies what I meant? (admittedly, my wording was a little lazy).

Oh I see.

Quick Reply

Latest