The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Isometrix
Great win. Ba in particular played so well, you could see him gesturing to players to mark the opposition. Great team play and a lovely goal. Luiz as well was very disciplined, his long balls were pinpoint and showed good leadership at the back.

I agree, a great win which will give our team winning mentality that we lost. Luiz was man of the match for me, his tackles and strength was second to none and a real quality defender. I remember someone saying Luiz had a terrible game when we played United earlier this season, every defender has a bad game but no one is perfect and we definitely needed Luiz in defence today, without him we would have lost.
Reply 281
Great win. Ba in particular played so well, you could see him gesturing to players to mark the opposition. Great team play and a lovely goal. Luiz as well was very disciplined, his long balls were pinpoint and showed good leadership at the back.

Agreed.
Bertrand did well stepping in for Cole who I hope is not out for too long. This game again showed that Mikel/Ramires is the best midfield partnership we have at the moment in this formation. Mata wasn't quite up to his standard but good assist.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Great win, nice that we put united out of both domestic cups this year.
Reply 283
I thought Ivanovic had a great game.
Wish Oscar would play as well in the EPL as he does in Europe. Looks like he's still settling. Seems the same sort of character to Ramires and one of the commentators did remark Luiz was apparently helping him with his shyness. Hopefully he'll start showing his potential after a year here like Ramires.

Good win. Need to beat Tottenham though when we play.
good performance but now we will mess up on Thursday.We can't win more than 2 games in a row with Benetiz
Back from the bridge.

Good game. Great finish by Ba, Ivanovic played well, the 3 amigos did their job, Cech's save was brilliant. We weren't really closing them all that well later in the second half though - gave them a lot of room. Ramires was worrying me because he was often giving the ball away at the start but all in all good-enough win.

We'll probably lose against City though.

EDIT: And yes, Luiz was indeed very well disciplined.

Original post by Eloades11
x

Thought you were gonna miss this game? Bet you're happy that you didn't. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Skkc16
Agreed.
Bertrand did well stepping in for Cole who I hope is not out for too long. This game again showed that Mikel/Ramires is the best midfield partnership we have at the moment in this formation. Mata wasn't quite up to his standard but good assist.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Agreed. Lol this thread needs some female input :smile:
Reply 288
Benitez does amuse me with his comments on our fixture pile-up

Asked about Cole, Benitez said: 'This kind of injury at least two weeks. 'That means for us maybe 20 games or something.'
^Yeah I chuckled at that :lol:
good win today for you lot, but you must be getting nervous about a top 4 place now? You've got Spurs, the west london derby and got to go to Anfield all in the middle of yet more FA cup/Europa league games in the next 3 weeks.
Original post by Zürich
good win today for you lot, but you must be getting nervous about a top 4 place now? You've got Spurs, the west london derby and got to go to Anfield all in the middle of yet more FA cup/Europa league games in the next 3 weeks.

Yeah it's going to be tough to maintain 4th, too many games on our hands. We already have Cole out for 2 weeks, but if any other key players get injured then we will honestly struggle.

It sucks though. The winner of the Europa League should at least get qualification to the pre-qualification rounds of the Champions League. If they did that, there wouldn't be this much pressure on us.
Yeah it's going to be tough to maintain 4th, too many games on our hands. We already have Cole out for 2 weeks, but if any other key players get injured then we will honestly struggle.

It sucks though. The winner of the Europa League should at least get qualification to the pre-qualification rounds of the Champions League. If they did that, there wouldn't be this much pressure on us.

Well your squad is paper thin, unbelievable that the likes of Lukaku, Essien were send out on loan. The game vs Tottenham will be pretty important as a draw is not a great result for either team really. Arsenal will pretty much keep winning until the end of the season I think so the game vs Spurs is almost a knock out game. Anfield is another nightmare as they look pretty hot at the minute and are going for Europa league qualification.

They should probably give a place to the Europa League winners but I guess that would kind of reinforce the impression that the competition is just for CL wannabes. I would probably take the double over CL qualification if it was one or the other. The EL is a quality competition in its own right really and its not like missing out on the CL has any long term implications for Chelsea really, just the annoyance of not being in it for a year.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Well your squad is paper thin, unbelievable that the likes of Lukaku, Essien were send out on loan. The game vs Tottenham will be pretty important as a draw is not a great result for either team really. Arsenal will pretty much keep winning until the end of the season I think so the game vs Spurs is almost a knock out game. Anfield is another nightmare as they look pretty hot at the minute and are going for Europa league qualification.

They should probably give a place to the Europa League winners but I guess that would kind of reinforce the impression that the competition is just for CL wannabes. I would probably take the double over CL qualification if it was one or the other. The EL is a quality competition in its own right really and its not like missing out on the CL has any long term implications for Chelsea really, just the annoyance of not being in it for a year.

It's not that thin, we need another CM this summer but that's probably it. Just some of the fringe players (Marin, Moses, Benayoun) can't really step up when they start a game, which is when our rotation causes problems.

I'd take the double too, but financially does CL qualification rake more in than the prize money you get for both?

I'd take the double too, but financially does CL qualification rake more in than the prize money you get for both?

Hugely. EL prize money + tv money comes in at something pitiful like £7m in total and the FA cup must be even less than that. Even just getting to the 1st knockout round of the CL is worth something like £35m
Reply 295
Lost NextGen series final. 2 penalties and a red card against us. Ah well.

Saying that Villa should have had a player sent off for a ridiculous lunge.
Original post by The Assassin
Thought you were gonna miss this game? Bet you're happy that you didn't. :tongue:

It was on the TV at the gym in the weights room, I never noticed the TV there before :biggrin: most of us there were Chelsea fans so all was good :smile:
I think today was the first time I saw Benitez celebrate a goal. It was pretty subdued, but still :rofl:

The guy better put out a strong team for Thursday. Can't underestimate Kazan like we did with Steaua. I think he'll want to win the EL though, to add to his CV. After all he'll be looking for jobs this summer so it will look good on him if he leaves on a positive note. If we progress to the final would love it if it was us vs. Spurs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 298
Torres obviously will start, and then I imagine Moses will come in for Mata, Lampard for Mikel. Hopefully Oscar starts, although he's played two games in quick succession, he didn't look leggy today really and Europe is his speciality. Terry probably will come in too.

Hopefully we start with energy and score in the first 20 minutes to make things easy for ourselves..... But most likely we'll get embarrassed. :colonhash:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 299
Original post by Musester
Bertrand was poor though and Mata wasn't his usual clinical self.

Mata got marked out by phil jones for at least 60 mins, this is a guy who's capable of marking ronaldo out a game so I'm not surprised. After that he got more space.

Bertrand needs a run of games tbh. Still think he's quality but he hasn't got much games since rafa has come in bar the odd europa league and nonsense substitutions.

Latest