The Student Room Group

How many hours should I revise for?

Hi,

My GCSE exams start in May and end in early June.
I have Easter break until the 17th of April
I'm currently doing 7 hours of revision a day
A 2 hour session in the morning
2 hours at lunch time
2 hours in the afternoon
and 1 hour in the evening

I'm having one hour breaks between these 2 hour sessions and my mum thinks thats too long? Is it?
Please help lol
thank you
Reply 1
for GCSE thats fine
its better to do 7 hours properly than spend all day with books and be lazy/not productive half the time
Reply 2
woaah, that is loads!

Im in year 10 now, i had 4 exams in January. I revised maybe one hour a night the week before. I got maximum UMS points in all 4 of them. Honestly i think 7 hours is way too long! It will get to the point where you will just loose focus and you wil not be taking anything in. When i revise (the little revisiont that i actually do!!) i make it fun, i make flip cards, i stick things on my walls so that i can read it during the day. I do little online quizes to test my knowledge, i watch educational videos on youtube.

To revise, i dont set myself a time, i set myself a TARGET. When i take written notes, i go through my textbook and highlight the main areas i need to work on & i take written notes to fill in the gaps in my knowledge- theres no point spending hours writing things out that you A) already know or B) probably wont be in the exam- unnecessary detail.

Unless you are really far behind in your work or whatever, i would say 7 is too much. You are obviously a very hard working & determined student, but maybe bring it down to 4 hours, 1 in the moring, 1 at lunch & then 2 in the evening.

Good luck with the revision- dont get too stressed about it & try to make it a bit less dull when you can :smile:
Reply 3
Just remember it's about quality not quantity (however, I must add, 7hrs does seem a bit too much but overall just do what you feel like you need to but don't overdo it or you'll burn out) Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by azealiathanks
Hi,

My GCSE exams start in May and end in early June.
I have Easter break until the 17th of April
I'm currently doing 7 hours of revision a day
A 2 hour session in the morning
2 hours at lunch time
2 hours in the afternoon
and 1 hour in the evening

I'm having one hour breaks between these 2 hour sessions and my mum thinks thats too long? Is it?
Please help lol
thank you

Wow you are committed, I have 13 exams this may and June too however I would say 3 hours revision is enough per day.
I understand some subjects may be .ore difficult than others so put more time into those, are you sure your not over revising? By that I mean you think you dont know something but tbh it may just be at the back of your mind.
There is nothing wrong with that revision though, as long as your getting great grades! :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by artisha
Wow you are committed, I have 13 exams this may and June too however I would say 3 hours revision is enough per day.
I understand some subjects may be .ore difficult than others so put more time into those, are you sure your not over revising? By that I mean you think you dont know something but tbh it may just be at the back of your mind.
There is nothing wrong with that revision though, as long as your getting great grades! :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup I've got 21 exams and doing about 3-4hrs a day. Allthough I was pretty happy with my mock results and did no revision so hopefully I'll be ok.

7hrs is loads. Remember this is also supposed to be a holiday because it's the last one you'll have before your exams. Rest should also be a priority.
Reply 6
thanks for replying everyone, i cut it down to 5 hours a day. really appreciate the help, good luck in your exams!

Quick Reply

Latest