The Student Room Group

Study hours outside of class

My form tutor told me that I should be doing, 5 hours per subject per week, studying outside of classes as the bare minimum. This includes homework, past paper practice, etc. I want to get into Oxford and I am aiming for A*A*A* predicted. How many hours do you recommend for this goal?
Reply 1
Original post by emiratesforlife
My form tutor told me that I should be doing, 5 hours per subject per week, studying outside of classes as the bare minimum. This includes homework, past paper practice, etc. I want to get into Oxford and I am aiming for A*A*A* predicted. How many hours do you recommend for this goal?

Depends on how confident you are in your subject, what your predicteds are compared to what you want, and what subjects you do. I do around 3 hours every week for English and Classics, but I increase this time when it comes to mocks and exams. For Art, I do 20 hours a week, since coursework is the most important part.
Do more of subjects you find harder and less of ones you're naturally good at, I got A*A*A and go to Oxford and I definitely didn't do 15 hours of revision a week
Original post by Username123ab
Do more of subjects you find harder and less of ones you're naturally good at, I got A*A*A and go to Oxford and I definitely didn't do 15 hours of revision a week

Taking Politics (AQA), Sociology (CAIE) and Business (CAIE). Also sitting Media Studies (OCR) but planning to drop it due to lack of previous exam resources, surprising difficulty (it’s as hard as English Lit actually, it’s not a “soft subject”) and low chance of getting into Oxford due to its “soft subject” perception by unis.

What I am looking at rn:
High A - Borderline A* in Politics
Average A in Business
High B - Borderline A in Sociology

So AAB-A*AA is what Iam right now
Minimum requirement for Oxford Law is AAA, despite that many applicants have all A*s, so I need to get a competitive edge.

I have Asperger’s but Iam applying as an intl student, so I can’t get a contextual offer.
(edited 5 months ago)
Taking Politics (AQA), Sociology (CAIE) and Business (CAIE). Also sitting Media Studies (OCR) but planning to drop it due to lack of previous exam resources, surprising difficulty (it’s as hard as English Lit actually, it’s not a “soft subject”) and low chance of getting into Oxford due to its “soft subject” perception by unis.

What I am looking at rn:
Average A in Business

Minimum requirement for Oxford Law is AAA, despite that many applicants have all A*s, so I need to get a competitive edge.

I have Asperger’s but Iam applying as an intl student, so I can’t get a contextual offer.

so focus the main part of your revision on sociology, a little on business and a lot less on politics. I did probably three hours a week maths revision, two hours history and no French except watching/reading French stuff for fun and I got A*A*A and got into Oxford law

To quote a Sith Lord ,

“Do it !”

What I am looking at rn:
Average A in Business

I recommend focusing your revision on Business and Sociology and it's more about quality over quantity for revision i.e it matters more what you do when you study and to study in a focused mindset to get more done than to passively study for hours on end for each subject where you are distracted and not giving it your 100% which is less effective. Hope this helps!

Z
UG Arabic & IR

Hiya 🙂

The time you should devote to studying outside the classroom is a very individual issue. What they usually tell us is both average and suggestive.

You know yourself best, and are the best reference in this case. You can identify how quickly you do your homework, how much material you still have to work on, how you most effectively study for exams and how much time it takes. Based on this, you can create a comprehensive learning plan to ensure you have peace of mind that you will be excellently prepared.

Remember that such a plan should be based on achievable goals, because you do not want to be discouraged or overwhelmed. From my experience, if I give myself a little extra time in the plan, I usually finish earlier than expected. This is an excellent motivational kick!

I also encourage you to reward yourself when you manage, for example, to finish your homework earlier. It can be a moment of relaxation and pleasure. Your productivity and motivation will thank you for this.

I hope it was helpful 😉 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending