The Student Room Group

Brunel or sussex

I'm a first year Brighton aero student and I am really torn between these two universities as my insurance choice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
Bump.
Reply 2
BUMP
Reply 3
Original post by Jeid1
I'm a first year Brighton aero student and I am really torn between these two universities as my insurance choice. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm a little confused....

You're in your first year at Brighton university studying aero engineering, but you have insurance choices. For what?
Reply 4
Original post by kingm
I'm a little confused....

You're in your first year at Brighton university studying aero engineering, but you have insurance choices. For what?

Transfer universities for second year..
Reply 5
As good as Sussex is, there isn't enough focus on engineering in my opinion.
However it does have good support for aerospace, with good gas turbine engine facilities
Reply 6
Original post by Harley SMU
As good as Sussex is, there isn't enough focus on engineering in my opinion.
However it does have good support for aerospace, with good gas turbine engine facilities

would you say Swansea University is more reputable for engineering than Sussex?
Reply 7
I would definitely choose Swansea University (even better, Cardiff) over Sussex for engineering.
Reply 8
I would definitely choose Swansea University (even better, Cardiff) over Sussex for engineering.

hmmm, thanks.
Reply 9
In league tables (those dreaded words), Brighton Uni actually fares better than Sussex, despite Sussex being a far better university overall ( I go to both, as I'm doing a joint MSc at both).

The main Swansea University (not the Met - although the Met is exclusively excellent for automotive and motorsport Eng), is very good for engineering. They were the main university working with the Bloodhound SSC project. Cardiff is I believe ranked higher than Swansea, and is of course a Russel group university.
Reply 10
In league tables (those dreaded words), Brighton Uni actually fares better than Sussex, despite Sussex being a far better university overall ( I go to both, as I'm doing a joint MSc at both).

The main Swansea University (not the Met - although the Met is exclusively excellent for automotive and motorsport Eng), is very good for engineering. They were the main university working with the Bloodhound SSC project. Cardiff is I believe ranked higher than Swansea, and is of course a Russel group university.

i felt sussex was good but lacked the pure "engineering" feel to it...i think this is mainly to do with the lack of disciplines they do ie they only have electrical/automotive/mechanical and computer engineering courses whereas swansea had the whole lot and feels more engineering dedicated ie one main school for it one building etc :/

don't know how the facilities are like but i guess i will just have to go on an open day, iv already made my choice and put sussex as firm and swansea as insurance however sussex want me to do a foundation year first and if i achieve better than their offer which currently im well on my way to then i can do 1st year of BEng but their offer was harder to meet ABB and swansea's first year offer is BBB which is even more achievable. Thanks for putting this into perspective i will have to find out.
Sussex could definitely do with putting more money into engineering, but is a brilliant university overall.

Attending open days is essential.

This may or may not be an issue for you, but living costs in Swansea are significantly less than those in Brighton. My rent in Swansea was £250 / month (4 bed house), whereas Brighton is more like £400 / month
Reply 12
Sussex could definitely do with putting more money into engineering, but is a brilliant university overall.

Attending open days is essential.

This may or may not be an issue for you, but living costs in Swansea are significantly less than those in Brighton. My rent in Swansea was £250 / month (4 bed house), whereas Brighton is more like £400 / month

did u pay the rent using part of your maintenance loan money? I went to the open day for Sussex but havent been to Swansea. Would you say you enjoyed the engineering department there? (at Sussex)
Sorry for late reply here.

I did indeed pay my rent with the maintenance loan. I found I had much more money spare than people in more expensive Uni cities.

what area of engineering is it that you are going to be studying?
Reply 14
Sorry for late reply here.

I did indeed pay my rent with the maintenance loan. I found I had much more money spare than people in more expensive Uni cities.

what area of engineering is it that you are going to be studying?

Ahh right, no worries :smile: and Mechanical.
Reply 15
So the answer to my question would surely be Brunel?
Reply 16
Original post by Jeid1
So the answer to my question would surely be Brunel?

Brunel have a webinar for prospective engineering students tomorrow -

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/665278954 - it's primarily aimed at PG students but would still be an easy way of finding out more about if it's what you're looking for without needing to travel.
Whatever you do, do not pick Brunel for engineering. Their senior management is made up of artists and psycho-sociologists who really could not care less for real world problem solving and so all their College of Engineering and Design courses are outdated and taught by people who haven't a clue.
Reply 18
I am a level 3 Mechanical Engineer at Brunel and I feel exactly the same way as MitchelM!

Quick Reply

Latest