The Student Room Group

"Must have previous experience" in low skilled jobs...

Why do employers have to be such dicks? I would understand if it was a high skill job but CLEANING???

Scroll to see replies

You are being very immature, you obviously don't understand the nature and the difficulty of cleaning, let alone a "high skill job". Please respond once you have the maturity to deal with this issue like an adult.
It's a valid point, I mean, if all you're going to do is stack shelves or something and they're going to train you up for it, past experience isn't really necessary. Any thicko could do that with the right training. Cleaning isn't difficult, everyone whose house isn't a biohazard zone does it.
Reply 3
Original post by materialtroll
You are being very immature, you obviously don't understand the nature and the difficulty of cleaning, let alone a "high skill job". Please respond once you have the maturity to deal with this issue like an adult.

Is mopping the floor and cleaning toilets something that requires high skill?
Reply 4
Original post by materialtroll

I smell a troll. And a very unfunny one at that.
Yes, there are multiple guides and instructional videos online. It is an art, not just a simple mechanical process. I suggest you take some time out to consider the gravity of the situation.
Original post by Odd Future

:confused:
I'm sorry you can't debate like an adult. This does not surprise me due to your idolisation of the modern day Insane Clown Posse.
As I'm applying for jobs now (graduate this year) this is something that particularly annoys me. Especially 'admin assistant' jobs where the job description is data entry and basic filing, why the eff do I need previous office experience for that?

Wanted to apply for one earlier (dental receptionist) that required previous dental experience and typing qualifications. 1) Who the **** has typing qualifications nowadays? 2) It said all training provided. So why do you need experience?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by kiss_me_now9
As I'm applying for jobs now (graduate this year) this is something that particularly annoys me. Especially 'admin assistant' jobs where the job description is data entry and basic filing, why the eff do I need previous office experience for that?

Wanted to apply for one earlier (dental receptionist) that required previous dental experience and typing qualifications. 1) Who the **** has typing qualifications nowadays? 2) It said all training provided. So why do you need experience?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I blame these type of employers for the current employment. If they stopped being such ****ers most of us could get a job.
Reply 9
Why they do that? Because they can. I agree that it is somewhat ridiculous and that things have been taken to a new low, but employers will demand as much from applicants as they can. If you CAN have a person with previous experience, you'll take it over someone who doesn't have any.

Sometimes they put these things up to filter, but it isn't absolute. I'm a business major with some art courses on the side but I don't actually have any experience from the art world. I've applied for internships and positions as an assistant in galleries and even though they say they want someone with experience, I've gotten some call backs.
Reply 10
I applied for a sales assistant job that said it required "2 years of retail experience"... I had none, but still got the job. Just apply anyway, you have nothing to lose.
Reply 11
Any employer wants to hire the best candidates they can.
I'm sure it's not 'set in stone' though.
If you're CV's good enough then experience should be irrelevant
Original post by ed-
Any employer wants to hire the best candidates they can.
I'm sure it's not 'set in stone' though.
If you're CV's good enough then experience should be irrelevant

It should be but when you're not massively confident of your own abilities AND the application form is extremely long it's very off putting to see in an advert.

The banking one I was going to apply for yesterday wanted '5 years continuous employment' which - even though I'm 23 this year and have been employed in some way every year since I was 16 - I can't provide because I've always been in education alongside my employment so there are various breaks. I won't bother applying to that because it's potentially a waste of 45 minutes to fill in their tricky little online questionnaire, copy and paste sections from my CV etc.

It works both ways.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Juichiro
I blame these type of employers for the current employment. If they stopped being such ****ers most of us could get a job.

You both need to remember we are in a recession with high unemployment. The requirement for previous experience is a filter mechanism a lot of the time as there is a lot of competition for jobs.

For example I had an interview at subway and they had over 100 applications for a part time 16 hour position.

There are not many jobs around. That is the reality we live in. You just have to keep applying and with a bit of luck you will find a job somewhere. Even with experience your chances are not great.
Original post by Politics Student
You both need to remember we are in a recession with high unemployment. The requirement for previous experience is a filter mechanism a lot of the time as there is a lot of competition for jobs.

For example I had an interview at subway and they had over 100 applications for a part time 16 hour position.

There are not many jobs around. That is the reality we live in. You just have to keep applying and with a bit of luck you will find a job somewhere. Even with experience your chances are not great.

Thanks for the optimism... Trust me, I know exactly how hard it is to get a job. My first job back in 2006 was obtained by going into the shop and asking if they had anything and being told to start the next weekend! It just doesn't happen like that now.

This doesn't help me when I'm about to graduate and have bills to pay though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Odd Future

It's the name that gives it away.

It should be but when you're not massively confident of your own abilities AND the application form is extremely long it's very off putting to see in an advert.

The banking one I was going to apply for yesterday wanted '5 years continuous employment' which - even though I'm 23 this year and have been employed in some way every year since I was 16 - I can't provide because I've always been in education alongside my employment so there are various breaks. I won't bother applying to that because it's potentially a waste of 45 minutes to fill in their tricky little online questionnaire, copy and paste sections from my CV etc.

It works both ways.

Surely you have to give something like that a go. I don't see how anyone your age could meet that criterion any better. And surely 45 minutes work is worth it if it leads to a 1/10 chance of an interview.

Although, you're the one applying for jobs, so I may be being unreasonably optimistic.
Reply 16
Original post by Politics Student

I know. :frown:
Reply 17
Thanks for the optimism... Trust me, I know exactly how hard it is to get a job. My first job back in 2006 was obtained by going into the shop and asking if they had anything and being told to start the next weekend! It just doesn't happen like that now.

This doesn't help me when I'm about to graduate and have bills to pay though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kiss me now9? Why that username? Btw, I would deffo kiss you now if that got me a job. :tongue:
Original post by Juichiro
Kiss me now9? Why that username? Btw, I would deffo kiss you now if that got me a job. :tongue:

Jog on mate :rolleyes: Are you Japanese? No, didn't think so.
Jog on mate :rolleyes: Are you Japanese? No, didn't think so.

So... You would only kiss Japanese people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending