The Student Room Group

Graduate admission in particular to UK universities.

I have two bachelor's degrees. One satisfies the entry requirements for my preferred graduate program. The other doesn't. Will I be eligible for that particular graduate program? Please quote/cite relevant information shared by universities in context to this question.
Original post by username6258599
I have two bachelor's degrees. One satisfies the entry requirements for my preferred graduate program. The other doesn't. Will I be eligible for that particular graduate program? Please quote/cite relevant information shared by universities in context to this question.

This will be entirely course and university dependent, and also a function of your academic achievements, you really don't see fine grained flow diagrams of the admissions process for PG courses made available on the web.
Original post by username6258599

Hi @username6252763

Great that you are pursuing postgraduate study!

If you fully satisfy any listed requirements (even if some of your qualifications are not used to meet those requirements) you should be eligible. As @Mr Wednesday said, it’s uncommon to have very strict requirements for PG courses, and more often you will find guidelines for what is generally expected of applications.

At Cranfield, each course has an indication of the qualifications often needed to obtain a place. For example, on the Finance MSc page (linked below) you will see a blue button on the right side of the page that triggers an ‘entry requirements’ pop-up. This states that “Usually candidates must hold either a first or a 2.1 UK honours degree in a relevant discipline, or an international qualification of a standard equivalent to a First or 2.1 UK honours degree”.
https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/som/mast...urses/finance#
This is because different people will have different strengths and skills, which can be built in a variety of ways. For example, one person may have a formal qualification and another have several years’ experience in the same industry, both of whom would have a good knowledge base!
Having additional experience, qualifications, and skills that go beyond the requirements will help you become a stronger candidate, and hopefully increase your chances of getting a place on the course. This applies even if your other bachelor's degree isn’t in a relevant field, as you will still have experience in things like working in teams, in different styles (writing, presenting, etc.), time management, and more! If you have an interview or personal statement during the application process, this is where you can emphasize these skills.
This also applies to things outside formal education and employment, like learning to code (with many free courses online!), charity/volunteering work, and other hobbies that help you gain these useful skills.

Best of luck with your applications,
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending