The Student Room Group

MIT fees

So currently i'm a first year Engineering student.
I have my hopes set on doing a Masters in Electrical Engineering from MIT :smile:.
I was looking at the fees and they are $45,000 and i think accommodation, food will be another $10,000. So in total $55,000.

I've got around £15000 in personal savings, which is around $20,000. My dad said that he can give me around $20,000 towards my masters. I don't really want to spend my personal savings because i had my hopes on putting them towards my first house :/. But if worst comes to worst i'll spend them, i'll still be $15,000 short though :/.

Anyways i was wondering if the UK government will provide me with some sort of loan?? or if MIT can help me in some sort?
I'm really confused and any general advice would be much appreciated.
Ty for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Well I'm surprised you don't know of the Career Development Loans already, https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview and you can get a maximum of £10,000 from that.

I'd recommend as a graduate myself to pursue an industrial placement year which gives you an extra year to let your first two years of studies sink in and most pay around 18 - 20,000 for the year so you could save 3 to possibly 4,000 from that and the professional skills learnt from that would improve your profile when being considered for the masters programme.

On the issue of your personal savings I think the investment into MIT onto your CV would and your potential salary in the first 3 years would dwarf the cost of £15,000 easily.

If you don't already go to Imperial, I would recommend considering Imperial as it has the same world-class status as MIT.

Additionally, consider scholarships such as Fulbright http://www.fulbright.org.uk/ might be of help to you.
Reply 2
You will definitely need more than $10k for living expenses in Boston. I would estimate more like $70k all up, for one year. I checked their webpage and it basically agrees with me:
http://gsc.mit.edu/programs-initiatives/col/

Note that their figures assume a tuition waiver.

Unfortunately Imperial College is not at all well known in the US. I was really surprised to discover that. Anecdotally, very few of my friends knew much about it and the US engineering universities would be perceived better, even by engineering grad students (who should really know of good international universities).

One thing to bear in mind is that all of the top ~5 engineering universities are held in basically equal regard within the US, particularly in industry. Hence I'm not sure if the debt from MIT/Stanford is worth it. Berkeley/Michigan/Georgia Tech/UIUC/UW are all very well regarded in the US and are much cheaper.

Also, it's very, very competitive to get admission to any of the top five engineering universities in the US. Make your application as good as possible - try to get a publication out of your undergrad degree.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
I was under the impression that Imperial had some gravitas but that might be some misconception I'm having from the amount of Chinese students that choose to study there.

Imperial would definitely suffice in terms of prestige to have a successful career here in the UK.

If you are thinking of other institutions that definitely have that 'world class' prestige then consider École Polytechnique in Paris or ETH Zürich in Switzerland.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Protagoras
I was under the impression that Imperial had some gravitas but that might some misconception I'm having be from the amount of Chinese students that choose to study there.

Imperial would definitely suffice in terms of prestige to have a successful career here in the UK.

If you are thinking of other institutions within Europe consider École Polytechnique in Paris or ETH Zürich in Switzerland.

The Americans are weird, for some reason they don't seem to know LSE or Imperial but do know UCL....
That's like knowing about Boston U but not MIT.
Reply 5
Well I'm surprised you don't know of the Career Development Loans already, https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview and you can get a maximum of £10,000 from that. [...]

Unfortunately, you cannot take out a career development loan for study outside the European Union.
Reply 6
Original post by Rainingshame
The Americans are weird, for some reason they don't seem to know LSE or Imperial but do know UCL....
That's like knowing about Boston U but not MIT.

That's why i want to go to MIT. Imperial is an amazing University but i don't think it is that well known outside the academic world :/

Well I'm surprised you don't know of the Career Development Loans already, https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview and you can get a maximum of £10,000 from that.

I'd recommend as a graduate myself to pursue an industrial placement year which gives you an extra year to let your first two years of studies sink in and most pay around 18 - 20,000 for the year so you could save 3 to possibly 4,000 from that and the professional skills learnt from that would improve your profile when being considered for the masters programme.

On the issue of your personal savings I think the investment into MIT onto your CV would and your potential salary in the first 3 years would dwarf the cost of £15,000 easily.

If you don't already go to Imperial, I would recommend considering Imperial as it has the same world-class status as MIT.

Additionally, consider scholarships such as Fulbright http://www.fulbright.org.uk/ might be of help to you.

Like someone said, unfortunately they won't be able to give me money because the Uni is in then US, not the the EU :/
Reply 7
Original post by jdh7
You will definitely need more than $10k for living expenses in Boston. I would estimate more like $70k all up, for one year. I checked their webpage and it basically agrees with me:

Unfortunately Imperial College is not at all well known in the US. I was really surprised to discover that. Anecdotally, very few of my friends knew much about it and the US engineering universities would be perceived better, even by engineering grad students (who should really know of good international universities).

One thing to bear in mind is that all of the top ~5 engineering universities are held in basically equal regard within the US, particularly in industry. Hence I'm not sure if the debt from MIT/Stanford is worth it. Berkeley/Michigan/Georgia Tech/UIUC/UW are all very well regarded in the US and are much cheaper.

Also, it's very, very competitive to get admission to any of the top five engineering universities in the US. Make your application as good as possible - try to get a publication out of your undergrad degree.

Ty for providing me with that link, it's very useful :smile:
Living there is expensive!
How do Americans afford this :s-smilie:.
Reply 8
Original post by bahjat93
Ty for providing me with that link, it's very useful :smile:
Living there is expensive!
How do Americans afford this :s-smilie:.

Rich parents, or crippling loans for the rest of their life.
That's why i want to go to MIT. Imperial is an amazing University but i don't think it is that well known outside the academic world :/

Like someone said, unfortunately they won't be able to give me money because the Uni is in then US, not the the EU :/

I said Americans. It's incredibly popular in Europe and Asia. Not MIT popular but not that far away.
MIT, ETH, CIT (Is berkly part of CIT) and imperial are world renound in engineering and pretty much the best universties to do an engineering in. Were ever you go in Europe companies in engineering will know the worth of your degree, you have to be very closed minded not to value a graduate with a degree in a university of that caliber. The fact that only academics know of other engineering courses that aren't as renound, is rubbish.

Other universities are known for certain engenering degrees though but only specifically within their respected fields. For example Bristol is renound for Aeronautical engineering because of close industry links and the benefit of this. Delft and Neutreckt are very reputable in the field of chemical of engineering. You get the jist.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jdh7

like all the non American universities. That being said, I know Imperial is highly regarded in 2 major US companies Microsoft and GE
QS World Rankings by Subject - Electrical Engineering, look at the University ranked 9th in the world!

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2012/engineering-electrical-and-electronic

However romantic it might be to want to study in the U.S., it is easily more feasible to study in the UK, with recognition from UK offices of Multinational Corporations and you can get to know London which is a great place to learn about (Science Museum next door to Imperial!) so just offering an equivalent alternative (or Cambridge).

There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm from the UK Government about UK students studying in the U.S.

** I agree with above about Microsoft and GE.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have my hopes set on doing a Masters in Electrical Engineering from MIT :smile:.
I was looking at the fees and they are $45,000 and i think accommodation, food will be another $10,000. So in total $55,000.

I've got around £15000 in personal savings, which is around $20,000. My dad said that he can give me around $20,000 towards my masters. I don't really want to spend my personal savings because i had my hopes on putting them towards my first house :/. But if worst comes to worst i'll spend them, i'll still be $15,000 short though :/.

Anyways i was wondering if the UK government will provide me with some sort of loan?? or if MIT can help me in some sort?

what university are u studying at , if its not oxford or cambridge or imperial you have the same chance as becoming king of the uk as getting into MT
Well, there are still some rather decent universities in the UK, so don't entirely dismiss them. The funding would be far less crippling too.

One thing worth noting is that some US institutes will help support (in part or in full) the tuition fees for students. My sister is studying in the US (she did get married to a US citizen, so maybe that's another way in for you?) and they are paying for most of her fees - Her first year of tuition was totally free and I think the other three years of her BSc will be paid for too. You could certainly try asking them about scholarships and what it takes to get on one.

Going to MIT, while awesome, seems like a lot of hassle to me though.
Reply 15

I can't help you with any of the financial aid information, but as for living costs, you will definitely need more than $10,000. I'm an American from Boston and the average rent there is around $800. My brother lives 5 miles outside of the city and pays $850 a month, so there's $10,200 for one year and we haven't even touched public transportation, food, or anything else. Public transport in Boston has been getting more and more expensive lately... MIT is very prestigious here, but even in my circle of friends I know a few who have gotten into MIT/Harvard. First and foremost, you need very high grades and you need to submit your application EARLY! Your chances are better the earlier you apply, so try to have everything ready to go by November/December of the year before you go. If you have any Boston questions, let me know!
Reply 16
Actually, most grad students at MIT will be funded by GRA/GTA positions by the university/department/lab they're in. It's rare to do an MS (with research) in the US, hence there's very little funding available for them. There are professional Master's degrees (called MEngs, or similar), but you'll never get funding for those. I was very lucky to get a GRA to fund the second half of my Master's degree here.

If you think there's even the slightest chance of you wanting to do a PhD, I would advise applying for PhDs. You can always drop after two years and get your MS if you don't like how things are going. This may sound like you're abusing the system, but it's very common.

I have to disagree about Americans knowing about UCL. In general, most only know of Oxford/Cambridge and LSE. I don't really think it's fair to criticise though - how many people outside the US know much about universities like Purdue or Georgia Tech? Both are highly respected universities for engineering here, but few outside the US will know of them.

Lastly, CIT isn't a university. It's Caltech. And Berkeley is the University of California, Berkeley, colloquially known as "Cal".

Just my 2c.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by psychedelicious
I wouldn't care but the OP is at Cambridge right now. Why can't he just continue on to the MEng there?

Need to put another "good" uni name on my CV.

Original post by Dukeofwembley
what university are u studying at , if its not oxford or cambridge or imperial you have the same chance as becoming king of the uk as getting into MT

That's not very nice :/.
I'm currently at Cambridge :smile:
Need to put another "good" uni name on my CV.

That's not very nice :/.
I'm currently at Cambridge :smile:

hyperbole i know, but its like saying you want to play for the premier league when your not even in league two

as your in cambridge, good luck m8, hope they pick you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending