The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Glasgow for Dentistry 2013?

Hi guys, I've been really lucky to get both offers from Manchester and Glasgow but I'm really torn between both of them - I haven't had the chance to explore Glasgow (I just know it's freezing over there) and Manchester has PBL.

Which dental school is the better one? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. THANK YOU! :smile:
Reply 1
I'd say Glasgow! Well done on the offers!
Reply 2
I would say machester
Reply 3
I'd say Manchester.

Although in your case, it is more a matter of teaching style i.e. do you want to do PBL or not?
Reply 4
Original post by ghostcommand99
Hi guys, I've been really lucky to get both offers from Manchester and Glasgow but I'm really torn between both of them - I haven't had the chance to explore Glasgow (I just know it's freezing over there) and Manchester has PBL.

Which dental school is the better one? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. THANK YOU! :smile:

I can safely say I've never been as cold in my life as when I was in Manchester two weeks ago for my interview. :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by Bonzo10
I can safely say I've never been as cold in my life as when I was in Manchester two weeks ago for my interview. :tongue:

That could possibly be because we've had a big ice freeze all over the UK. :tongue:
Aren't you from Scotland? Would have thought it'd be colder up there ...
Reply 6
Original post by brahinmanc
That could possibly be because we've had a big ice freeze all over the UK. :tongue:
Aren't you from Scotland? Would have thought it'd be colder up there ...

Well investigated haha! I am indeed. I have never felt so cold as that day though, honestly. Perhaps the wind didn't help but dear Lord.
Reply 7
Original post by Bonzo10
Well investigated haha! I am indeed. I have never felt so cold as that day though, honestly. Perhaps the wind didn't help but dear Lord.

You weakling. :colone:
Reply 8
You weakling. :colone:

Must've been the kilt!
Reply 9
Original post by Bonzo10
Must've been the kilt!

Did Teresa cop a feel under your kilt to see if you were wearing anything?
Reply 10
Did Teresa cop a feel under your kilt to see if you were wearing anything?

Nothing of the sort!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bonzo10

Hahaha I was there too! It was freezinggg. I can't imagine how Glasgow would be like :biggrin: But I guess I'll get used to it.

I don't really mind doing PBL at Manchester as long as they do it right - does Glasgow do a little PBL too? Can anyone here comment on Glasgow's teaching? I'm just worried about teaching because at Manchester I know you have zero lectures during first year and you will definitely hate PBL until your 4th/5th year where you train in the hospital. And which dental hospital is bigger?

Thank you all for your input :smile:
Hahaha I was there too! It was freezinggg. I can't imagine how Glasgow would be like :biggrin: But I guess I'll get used to it.

I don't really mind doing PBL at Manchester as long as they do it right - does Glasgow do a little PBL too? Can anyone here comment on Glasgow's teaching? I'm just worried about teaching because at Manchester I know you have zero lectures during first year and you will definitely hate PBL until your 4th/5th year where you train in the hospital. And which dental hospital is bigger?

Thank you all for your input :smile:

definitely glasgow, im from manchester myself and have friends who go there, it s an amazing city the actual dental school itself though is not that great in comparison to other dental schools!

also glasgow has constantly tops dental school rankings!!
Reply 13
You really need to make up your know mind. Balance pros and cons out! and you will come to your decision. Remember you are the one who is going to have to put up with 5 years...
Thank you all for your input so far :smile: Really appreciate it.

Anyone has friends or can comment on the teaching at Glasgow? Info on that has been pretty elusive - do they have an integrated approach/PBL/or traditional?
Glasgow! They're top ranked for student satisfaction, great staff (mostly) and a busy vibrant city. Although it does depend on whether you think you'd prefer PBL or not.

The teaching in Glasgow isn't PBL, nor is it traditional. They redesigned the curriculum back in '04 to make it more integrated. When you start the majority will be lectures or labs, but a practical element is introduced in first year. There's a fair bit of practical in second year leading to your first real patient during the summer between second and third year. From then on the clinical time increases until fifth year when you are in clinics nearly all the time.

You have loads of lectures in first year, but it settles down in second, third and fourth year. In my opinion they have nailed the balance between practical and theory.

Hope that helped. If you have any other questions ask away!
Original post by fuzzycloud
Glasgow! They're top ranked for student satisfaction, great staff (mostly) and a busy vibrant city. Although it does depend on whether you think you'd prefer PBL or not.

The teaching in Glasgow isn't PBL, nor is it traditional. They redesigned the curriculum back in '04 to make it more integrated. When you start the majority will be lectures or labs, but a practical element is introduced in first year. There's a fair bit of practical in second year leading to your first real patient during the summer between second and third year. From then on the clinical time increases until fifth year when you are in clinics nearly all the time.

You have loads of lectures in first year, but it settles down in second, third and fourth year. In my opinion they have nailed the balance between practical and theory.

Hope that helped. If you have any other questions ask away!

Thanks so much :smile: I'm really leaning towards Glasgow now. Are you a student from Glasgow? :biggrin:
Thanks so much :smile: I'm really leaning towards Glasgow now. Are you a student from Glasgow? :biggrin:

Yep, in fourth year. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by fuzzycloud
Yep, in fourth year. :smile:

Hey do you mind me asking what you got in your UKCAT?

Quick Reply

Latest